What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]You mean Shak Rukh was a native American?

Maybe some peace pipes might work…[/quote]

No, in real life, he is an Indian actor from the Republic of India.
In the movie ‘Swades’, his role was an American citizen whose ancestors were from the Republic of India. That’s why he went back to the Republic of India to visit his family.

I think, if people nowadays say ‘Indians’, they mean people who are from the Republic of India/whose ancestors were from the Republic of India.
If people were talking about the indigenous people in North America, they would call them ‘Native Americans’.

Columbus was looking for India, but he found North America. He then mistook North America as India, so he called the indigenous people in North America ‘Indians’.
But that was wrong, because they were not Indians, they were Native Americans.
Therefore, I think it’s right to call them ‘Native Americans’, instead of ‘Indians’.

[quote=“Doraemonster”]There’s the issue of radioactive contamination [in Japan], I’d say it’s pretty serious too. My intuition tells me that the overall food pollution is worse in Taiwan, but I don’t follow the Japanese news that closely, and just because we don’t know about something doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

On a general note, it’s a dawn of hope that at least most of this stuff comes out to light here, if belatedly, while in some other places it might be swept under the carpet. The presence of bad news does not make Taiwan bad; on the contrary, it makes it better. I’d be much more worried had there suddenly been no bad news leaking out.

Taiwan is smaller, so it’s more specialized, and it doesn’t have the heavy industries (export-grade, anyway) but it still has quite a few world-class performers for its size in the areas such as IC foundries or TFT LCDs. Japanese zaibatsu (財閥) developed through dubious insider lending, while the most successful Taiwanese companies developed despite the lack of lending from the banking sector, while misguided government policies diverted credit to politically well-connected wannabe conglomerates. Although it was a huge misallocation of capital, as a result the export-grade Taiwanese companies are more lean and excel at cost-cutting, and they endured the 1997 and 2008 crises much better.

Interdependence is not a problem. The problem is the parochiality, and the loss of business and development opportunities caused by it. This is an issue both in Japan and in Taiwan but while the former has already wasted its chance (recall the recent news that a tiny fluctuation in Samsung’s stock price was equivalent to the entire valuation of the once-gigantic Sony), the latter is still on the crossroads. Taiwan is too insular, especially for such an export-oriented country, but Japan is even more insular. It can even be seen on a personal level: the Taiwanese suck at English, but at least they keep trying; in Japan, people will do a runner to avoid the need to use it.

I don’t deny that Taipei is uglier but the ugliness applies more uniformly to everyone, whereas in Tokyo some people have it very good while most of the others have it even worse than in Taipei. The comparison is not entirely fair however, as Tokyo is a larger city that should be compared primarily with London or New York and not anything else. It’s also a matter of subjective opinion. That being said, living in Taipei, you will have a much shorter commute on a much better metro system, and a relatively larger apartment (although in an ugly building).

Here we also differ. I don’t think [Japan is] “on par.” It’s just another place, nice and interesting, but with its own set of issues that Taiwan has largely avoided, and some other problems common with Taiwan, for which they also don’t have solutions.

To summarize my point: Taiwan is not as bad as you paint it, Japan is not that fantastic, and it doesn’t hold the answers for Taiwan’s malaise. Everything that Taiwan could learn from Japan it has already learned, so if it needs inspiration from one of its former colonial powers, I’d suggest the Netherlands instead. For starters, there’s even a parallel between stinky tofu and [wikipedia]Limburger cheese[/wikipedia].[/quote]

I’ve got to stop reading your posts, or I’m liable to wind up staying here for the duration. (That’s meant as a compliment.)

speaking of lack of innovation and thinking-outside-the-box, related article:

How Taiwan Will Make Its People Think Harder To Stoke The Economy
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphjennings/2014/11/16/how-taiwan-will-make-its-people-think-harder-to-stoke-the-economy/

[quote=“Mr.Lin”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]You mean Shak Rukh was a native American?

Maybe some peace pipes might work…[/quote]

No, in real life, he is an Indian actor from the Republic of India.
In the movie ‘Swades’, his role was an American citizen whose ancestors were from the Republic of India. That’s why he went back to the Republic of India to visit his family.

I think, if people nowadays say ‘Indians’, they mean people who are from the Republic of India/whose ancestors were from the Republic of India.
If people were talking about the indigenous people in North America, they would call them ‘Native Americans’.

Columbus was looking for India, but he found North America. He then mistook North America as India, so he called the indigenous people in North America ‘Indians’.
But that was wrong, because they were not Indians, they were Native Americans.
Therefore, I think it’s right to call them ‘Native Americans’, instead of ‘Indians’.[/quote]

send a memo to the United States Government:

bia.gov/ (warning: clicking that link will take you to a US government website)
US Department of Interior - Bureau of Indian Affairs

Whenever I see that agency’s name, I can’t stop shaking my head. :frowning:

some native americans look india indians tho. a few look east asians but i think generally they look more indian and they’re generally darker and similar to skin color of india indians.

The 150 pm2.5 index isn’t helping matters, no wonder I’m getting weird allergic symptoms. It’s a photochemical soup out there! A lot of people wearing crappy surgical masks that are useless for prevention of small particle inhalation.

edit- that’s 55 ug/m3 pm2.5 (after converting from the AQI scale)…not as bad as I thought but still very unhealthy. Some cities in China are actually reading more than 150 ug/m3 today!

Do all these big chains accept cash only so that they can under-declare their earnings and pay less taxes?

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015 ALL!!

so, question: how do you all compare south korea with taiwan in terms of development? who’s more and by how much? i’m sure there’s a thread here somewhere that talks about it, but i’m too lazy to search.

[quote=“forealz”]HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015 ALL!!

so, question: how do you all compare south korea with taiwan in terms of development? who’s more and by how much? i’m sure there’s a thread here somewhere that talks about it, but i’m too lazy to search.[/quote]
Imo, Taiwan is better in some aspects while Korea is better in some other aspects, and both countries suck in the rest of the aspects. Overall I’d take Taiwan over Korea anytime. Korea just has some ridiculously disturbing issues that we’ve avoided almost completely or at least partially.
But if we’re just talking about economic development/technology/infrastructure, Korea wins by a landslide.

Korea benefits by being a part of planet earth, not like this island of sky dragons floating somewhere in the upper stratosphere. There is no contest between Seoul and Taipei (Seoul wins hands down), but living in Taiwanese society is much, much more enjoyable than Korean society. Here, people are worked until their livers give out; over there, people are worked until they choose to end it by jumping off a building.

How come?

If you have a chance some day, just go have a look.

I know Korea has plenty of issues (I’ve experienced some of them, first hand) but I remember feeling extremely angry at how Taiwan is governed and (mis)managed after returning from a short trip to Seoul.

Guy

A few things I noticed between Taiwan and the states…

Americans are more friendly by a long shot. Not only some of them will greet you (mostly Americans, not the immigrants) but they often show courtesy in all things, including driving. You are never stopped by a left/right hand turn train in the states when crossing an intersection on foot because cars yield like they are supposed to.

On that note, the streets are clean for the most part. Other than fallen leaves and stuff, you don’t find illegally parked vehicles at all, and when you do it stands out like a sore thumb. You also never see stray animals.

Health: I know Taiwan has better healthcare by a long shot, but you pretty much need it with all the poison they sell as “food”. I had all sorts of health issues in Taiwan that magically disappeared when I got to the states. No idea what the heck was up. So maybe here it costs 200 dollars (not including medicine) to see a doctor, but I won’t need to see them but once every 5 years.

Also the architecture here are just so much better. You know buildings here don’t look like shantytowns, even in run down areas.

The only things Taiwan is better at in my perspective is crime, and also lack of bureaucracies in everyday stuff (such as renting houses). I can’t say cost of living is lower because in Taipei the rent/square foot is about the same as here… so even though it costs less to rent a 3 bedroom place in Taipei, the square foot of that 3 bedroom place in Taipei is the same as a 1 bedroom apartment in the states, all for the same price. In that regards I rather live in the states because the environment is so much better.

2015 ftw!

forbes.com/sites/ralphjennin … n-in-2015/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Lack of desire to improve / Lack of desire to change (lead)
    (a) Get a good steady job, marriage, and that’s my life
    (b) This sucks! I know it, you know it, but let’s leave it to some big-shot to handle it
    © Play-it-safe
    (d) Sorry, I like it the way it is right now
    (e) Unless, someone else comes along, prove me wrong, I benefit then I follow

2. Lack of the “arts” ?
    (a) No science fiction but thank goodness there is anime to add some creativity to the curriculum
    (b) No general appreciation of the arts, unless the media propagandises it

3. General mindset always look back in history instead to the future
    (a) Oh, our 4K/5K year of history
    (b) Look at the dramas, movies, games. . .

4. Lack of diversity & weird mindsets
    (a) It’s obvious as everything’s centered in Taipei; no rivalries amongst the big cities (Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung)
    (b) Look at Hsinchu: the island’s industrial and academic stronghold, yet the city is more like a town by international standards
    © General media: Why so serious? Nothing is taken seriously
    (d) Something good happens, people over-exhaust it, then the idea is forgotten
    (e) Taking things for granted: ex. U-bike. No more free minutes? Not gonna use it anymore

5. 太方便

And the list goes on…
But besides those, there are some really good things but just not enough to propel the entire island

Really agree with the last post. Been spending time with a lot of 20-30’s Mainland Chinese recently and really respect their ambition, desire for change, openness to ideas etc. You can find those people in Taipei but on the whole the place is just way to 隨和 for its own good.

I can only compare Taiwan with Japan, the States, AUS, NZ, and Europe. (Excluding Africa, because I’ve only been to Egypt.)

Taiwan doesn’t have prettier cities, but it has a shinkansen, 7-11s everywhere, walk-able alleyways, and low crime-rates. However, it has unhealthy air quality, earthquakes, huge amounts of scooters (although, the share-able bike system should be helping a little?), a lot of traffic, and a bubble mentality (with people thinking everything’s going to be okay here).

When my mom goes to her part-time home in Kaohsiung, she lives near that art museum. She’s been telling me recently that southern Taiwan has gotten a lack of rain and sunshine lately. The fish in the museum pond died due to that, and it seems no one bothered to care for them. If that was in the West, museum curators would instantly make sure the fish would be properly cared for, even under drought conditions. (And my grandpa’s case is just crazy. He goes to the rooftop to sit under the sun, when there is sun. -__-; Agh… I guess that’s still better than my grandma in Taipei. She sits on a couch watching NHK all day.)

Here in the West, I can enjoy a day in the snow, see sunshine, see the blue sky, hold doors for people, get stuck in local traffic but know there are nice alternatives, build a snowman, etc. I do have a universal sort of mentality where wherever you are in the world, we could all be similar in some ways but still be different at the same time. I prefer being in an area where I can see the blue sky more than the polluted sky that’s been crawling its way through Asia. Things are pricier in the West with its own weather problems, but I rather take that any day than in the East.

Does anyone have new insight? Has anyone’s feelings changed when it comes to this topic?

Lack of understanding of the arts and aesthetic beauty. Nothing we build and make is all that beautiful, functional and useful…yes. But we suck at making anything that’s beautiful

Well according to the latest HDI report, which is usually the primary source people refer to on a country’s development, Taiwan is ranked 21st (which is higher than France, Israel, Italy, Spain etc. lol), so there’s that. It’s almost always ranked between 21st and 25th.