What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

i am just highlighting how ridiculous your stance is. honestly i couldn’t agree with you less.

2 Likes

It’s too bad you didn’t read the whole post. If my post was so ridiculous, then I wouldn’t have people agreeing with it.

trust me its ridiculous.

2 Likes

It would never look like that. Taiwan, especially Taipei has excellent public transportation that is expanding all the time. There is almost nowhere you can’t go by public transportation easily in Taipei metro area. It’s also very cheap. Something like 1200 ntd a month unlimited public transport!

Also many scooter rides aren’t for commuting.

Besides first step is switch to electric vehicles or bikes surely.

2 Likes

actually no. Back it up.

You didn’t read my post. I shouldn’t have to spell it out for you.

Scooters don’t contribute to walkable neighbourhoods , that’s preposterous.

2 Likes

Picture a man beyond sight and sound…

2 Likes

I’d be happy if we could just get them off the sidewalks, or the sides of the streets that don’t even have sidewalks (a situation itself which is quite strange and dangerous).

4 Likes

No, but wider and wider and wider roads hinder walkable neighbourhoods. Suburbs shouldn’t be full of 8 lane throughfares. Scooters are physically smaller. Cars take up the space of 5 scooters while the Canadian government is pleading with people to carpool. Most people are one person driving one car that seats 5 people. I’m not advocating for a scooter-only situation. But they have their place. That’s why they have started selling them in western countries. Kymco and SYM have expanded to Canada and Australia.

Wider and wider roads ?
Where is this happening exactly ? Who wants to promote this ?

Scooters serve a need from the past . Most people in Taipei area are using them now because of old habits and the fact that they are THE cheapest option more than anything. Allowing them to park for free on sidewalks is ridiculous.

4 Likes

Canada. That’s the solution to everything from Goverment officials in Canada. Widen the roads.

Introducing transit options, bike lanes, and other forms of transport causes people to complain there isn’t enough money in the budget.

You’re not wrong. I’m for expanded transit as well. But banning scooters outright is not going to make ALL THOSE people switch to transit overnight. Many might go to cars which will not improve the situation.

Scooters have their place in Taiwan. Not only Taipei.

1 Like

Follow the yellow brick road Marco…follow the yellow brick road

1 Like

What’s that supposed to mean?

they ARE great. they are convenient, you can park them anywhere. they are cheap and petrol is also dirt cheap.

the flip side though is a shit ton of scooter pollution and noise.
both of which could be fixed with a switch to all electric scooters. which would massively improve quality of life here.

the govt isn’t doing enough towards this, simple as that. they need to pull their finger out. its nothing to do with not being the CCP either. too many people are benefiting from the gas scooter industry. so we have to suffer while those rich assholes earn some more dosh.

2 Likes

I … I … never mind

I agree with this. This is a well-thought out reply.

But individually, change is going to take time. Not everyone has $45000 to shell out. Does the government want to buy us all electric scooters? Government buyback programme? I’ve seen more and more Gogoros running around, people seemingly are buying them.

That is exactly it.

These scooter companies are billion dollar enterprises. They were formed by merging smaller companies into a couple of very large companies decades ago.

They are majority owned by some old rich families in places like Changhua. Almost no Taiwanese know this either. These families are extremely ‘di diao’ even in Taiwan (keep their heads down, most likely their kids and grandkids do not even live in Taiwan in many cases ).

Their profit margins must be enormous and they obviously lobby the local govt hard.

Again BrianJones has done the research where others have never looked.

3 Likes

Yes electric scooters are now 25% of new scooter sales. Reduce the 14 mill registered scooters to half. Drop yearly sales to around 2-3 hundred thousand with mandate that 80% are electric. All this by 2025. Ban parking on sidewalks. Only designated areas

3 Likes

Yeah, on a sidewalk, in front of a driveway, in the middle of the street…the options are endless!

2 Likes

This isn’t a scooter problem. This is a people problem.