What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?

[quote]
What is holding up Taiwan becoming a real developed country?[/quote]

Pretty much everything.

Lack of pride and unity in the country. I envy Japan and Korea who have so much pride in their country. I wish Taiwan could be the same.
We have older generations who still love the Japanese imperial rule that oppressed them.
We have a younger generation that would just wave the white flag if China comes.
And we have the generation in between that is split between Unification and Independence.

[quote=“Andrew0409”]Lack of pride and unity in the country. I envy Japan and Korea who have so much pride in their country. I wish Taiwan could be the same.
[/quote]
Maybe perhaps there really isn’t anything to be proud of here?
I mean,can you think of anything?

It depends. If you’re someone making 22k and work in an office, there’s not much to be proud of. However more indigenous people would have more to be proud of.

Unfortunately more people fit in to the former,maybe not always 22k,but somewhere close to that number.

Also we’re assuming every Taiwanese acts like mindless office workers in Taipei. Blue collar people who don’t work in an office (and probably get more than 22k) seems more proud of Taiwan than the office drones. Then you got people down south who speaks mostly Taiwanese instead of mandarin, but I have no idea what their world is like.

I said “more”,not “most”.

[quote=“Gain”][quote=“Andrew0409”]Lack of pride and unity in the country. I envy Japan and Korea who have so much pride in their country. I wish Taiwan could be the same.
[/quote]
I mean,can you think of anything?[/quote]

I think if Taiwanese would behave the way Koreans or Japanese, Taiwan would be much more developed and innovative. My mother’s side of the family is Korean, and simple things like buying Korean products loyally goes a long way. You ever see a samsung car before? well, they’re everywhere in Korea. And how much they care about their history is amazing. They still hold such a grudge over China and especially Japan.

Theres a lack of nationalism in Taiwan, for example, people still are debating over if they are “Chinese” or “Taiwanese”. I really think this really holds Taiwan back.

[quote=“Andrew0409”][quote=“Gain”][quote=“Andrew0409”]Lack of pride and unity in the country. I envy Japan and Korea who have so much pride in their country. I wish Taiwan could be the same.
[/quote]
I mean,can you think of anything?[/quote]

I think if Taiwanese would behave the way Koreans or Japanese, Taiwan would be much more developed and innovative. My mother’s side of the family is Korean, and simple things like buying Korean products loyally goes a long way. You ever see a samsung car before? well, they’re everywhere in Korea. And how much they care about their history is amazing. They still hold such a grudge over China and especially Japan.

Theres a lack of nationalism in Taiwan, for example, people still are debating over if they are “Chinese” or “Taiwanese”. I really think this really holds Taiwan back.[/quote]
I really don’t think holding a grudge over particular countries is a good thing at all,it’s nothing but petty.I’m aware of Japan’s deeds in the first half of 20th century,but China and Korea should get over themselves,at least try to.

As for lack of nationalism,basically most Taiwanese people consider themselves to be Taiwanese,even those that always vote for KMT or those that always state that they are not interested in politics at all.If you ask them their nationality,more than 90% would simply answer “Taiwanese”.The identity would only grow stronger as the stupid old Chinese nationalists will eventually die(asap,I hope).

There are many reasons why South Korea and Japan seem more “developed” than Taiwan(actually I’m kinda on a fence here since I don’t think South Korea really is “that” developed,in some ways,Korea is even more backwards than Taiwan),but the sense of nationalism is not really one of them,at least not a decisive element.

Ok I can think of one thing that I’m proud of as a Taiwanese-the gay pride.
I’m not saying that Taiwan is particularly gay-friendly or anything because it clearly is NOT,but the Taipei gay pride is the first gay pride ever in this awful continent and it remains the biggest gay pride in Asia nowadays(at least one of the biggest).
Of course it’s nothing compare to say,the NL or France,but it’s quite progressive for Asian standard.

I contend that wishing your political opponents a quick death is a tell tale sign that Taiwan’s democracy is still immature and that is what is holding the country back.

^Oh please that was a joke lol.

That reminds me,another very underdeveloped thing about Taiwan is the capital punishment,and the most ridiculous thing is that about 90% of the population is STRONGLY in favor of it.
Btw,I’m aware that both the US and Japan still use capital punishment and have no intention of abolishing it.

A related sign of Taiwan’s democratic immaturity is that Taiwan never underwent a comprehensive “truth and reconciliation” process in the post White Terror era including a full opening of all government records from the Taiwan Garrison Command and similar authorities, prosecution of those who commited crimes on behalf of the government (the White Wolf roams free) and seizure of all the KMTs ill gotten assets (along with interest and penalties). The fact that the Taiwanese have basically been able to fully accept the KMT’s “sorry about that whole martial law and cultural genocide thing, but wasnt CCK a great guy for thinking about allowing his successor to end the KMT’s autocracy and implementing democratic rule!” is perplexing to me. . . but I don’t live there and I respect the voter’s choices even when I don’t understand them. Likewise CSB and the DPP admin did dedicate mcuh energy to this issue either.

The lack of transformative justice seems esepcially ironic if Gain can be faulted for jokingly wishing a quick death on to the remaining Old Nationalists, many of whom were ardent supporters of a regime (or part of the regime) that delivered actual quick deaths upon many Taiwanese people. With roads, monuments and a few old statues of CKS still about, the memorialization of bloody tyrants seems to be another far more telling sign of Taiwan’s democratic immaturity.

Just understand that many of the voters or their family are working for or got some land, money, advantages through companies connected to the KMT … :ohreally:

A related sign of Taiwan’s democratic immaturity is that Taiwan never underwent a comprehensive “truth and reconciliation” process in the post White Terror era including a full opening of all government records from the Taiwan Garrison Command and similar authorities, prosecution of those who commited crimes on behalf of the government (the White Wolf roams free) and seizure of all the KMTs ill gotten assets (along with interest and penalties). The fact that the Taiwanese have basically been able to fully accept the KMT’s “sorry about that whole martial law and cultural genocide thing, but wasn’t CCK a great guy for thinking about allowing his successor to end the KMT’s autocracy and implementing democratic rule!” is perplexing to me. . . but I don’t live there and I respect the voter’s choices even when I don’t understand them. Likewise CSB and the DPP admin did dedicate mcuh energy to this issue either.

The lack of transformative justice seems esepcially ironic if Gain can be faulted for jokingly wishing a quick death on to the remaining Old Nationalists, many of whom were ardent supporters of a regime (or part of the regime) that delivered actual quick deaths upon many Taiwanese people. With roads, monuments and a few old statues of CKS still about, the memorialization of bloody tyrants seems to be another far more telling sign of Taiwan’s democratic immaturity.[/quote]
Yes,transitional justice is something desperately needed here.I’m not saying that those old nationalists should all be killed(as I oppose to capital punishment),but it’s vital to let people KNOW what happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again.But well…one can only dream about it.

Not possible their sons are in positions of power or looking for power. China also favours the princelings.
This culture doesn’t do sincere apologies, and especially not politicians or soldiers with no allegiance to this land.

You don’t understand. Taiwanese culture.

:cactus:

Taiwan doesn’t have enough Islamists. What we need is a few beheadings to really bring the country together.

There’s a muslim who lives next to me… but I doubt they’re interested in being islamists, or so they say.

Did you check for black flags and sharp knives? :smiley:

what they need is a vote…oh wait.