What is (Online) Community Radio?

When I was 8 years old, I built my own radio station…I had listeners as far away as my backyard pool, I dominated the airwaves in that region!

This is how you can start your own radio station. Call it ForumosanFM or whatever. Do 30 minutes of news in the morning and evening. Throw in some tunes. Your service provider takes care of the royality checks. Start small then expand your service package. This can be done. Limit your hours in the beginning. Get 12 volunteers to start mixing some tunes. Get a few bucks from local pubs and diners for doin’ adverts. Showcase www.forumosa.com. You can thank me later by throwing some props my way when you start broadcasting.

live365.com/broadcast/

Until then, buy an iPod and for God’s sake, don’t listen to local radio. Its just wrong. Same goes for reading the local English newspapers, but that is for another thread.

stop complaining! let’s open OUR OWN internet radio station and screw ICRT!

That’ll take a lot more than NT$30,000.

i disagree tetsuo. open a website, put your player up. pre record your song list for the day, get on your site to say the news from wherever you are. ever hear of USB headsets?

I did start another thread on this idea, which perhaps ought to be merged. Since it started a couple of people have offered to invest in ‘Radio Forumosa’, or can we call it FCRT?

Edit:Since posting this another potential sponsor has come forward.

It’s not really my bag, man, but if the ideas keep coming we might be able to move forward with it.

Personally, I believe that once the word got out that there was a Taiwan-orientated ‘radio’ station we would get a lot of locals listening anyway - for the same reason that they listen to that other station now. If we made the effort to include a certain amount of educational content, and it wasn’t too offensive to the ex-pat community, that would be very valuable in several ways.

First, it might make it possible to attract some advertising revenue. We wouldn’t need a lot if this was a genuine community thing, so the advertising could be kept to a break-even minimum. (I hate advertising.) Or, it could even be made to conform to non-intrusive standards. ie it has to be funny, relevant, useful, and not repeated too often.

Second, if the international community is seen to be going out of its way to help Taiwanese, to give something back, then the goodwill generated would make it easier for us to pursue our own agendas - such as combatting discrimination by phone companies, or whatever.

What I had in mind was for say a weekly lesson or two, broadcast at certain times and also downloadable on demand. This would be supplemented by worksheets and other material, plus notes for teachers, at the website. With enough people contributing then individual workload would not be great.

Oh, and third, in time this would create a library of resources which would be useful for many of us. Even without a radio station this is something I think forumosa should explore.

Meeting to discuss this suggestion: [The Boiler Room

I didn’t read all of the posts, so I don’t know if this was asked. If ICRT is so poor in serving the international community, then why don’t a few bright minds here create a radio station that would give them a run for their money, therefore, doing it the way ‘it should be done’? Can anyone explain?

Eric Lier is establishing an internet radio for foreigners here.

Terrestial radio - I think getting a license is very tough.

Also, the investment needed would be rather big, if starting from scratch.

[quote=“Mr He”]Eric Lier is establishing an internet radio for foreigners here.

Terrestial radio - I think getting a license is very tough.

Also, the investment needed would be rather big, if starting from scratch.[/quote]

How big an investment would be needed? Can you tell me a ballpark figure? And how does an internet radio edge make an impact on the Taiwan marketplace?

If this new English radio station is to survive on paying ad clients, then good luck. How many listeners in Taiwan are paying supporters and ad clients of an all-English radio station?

We could start a new station, broadcast with a home made transmitter one of the internet radio stations.

Something along the lines has been suggested but I think people that are up in arms about this IRTC thing, prefer to make them wrong about what they are doing with their company as oppose to actually making a real difference…

Hmmm…maybe something like this?

Expat Radio Taiwan

This seems to be up and playing music. I do not know if its doing anything other than that.

How much would a home made transmitter cost? How would ya even build it? And how far would it even reach? A good pirate station would rock. :slight_smile: