What is popular in Taiwan from Canada/US?

Hi,

I am going to Taipei in 5 days with my boyfriend. We will be staying with his cousins and i was wondering what is popular there that i can get here in Canada to give as a gift? I am thinking along the lines of brand like Victoria Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch… that kind of stuff

Thanks!

Maple Syrup in a fancy looking bottle sounds like a good bet.

Timbits. I put them in my carry on.

[quote=“sanja8888”]Hi,

I am going to Taipei in 5 days with my boyfriend. We will be staying with his cousins and I was wondering what is popular there that i can get here in Canada to give as a gift? I am thinking along the lines of brand like Victoria Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch… that kind of stuff

Thanks![/quote]

Abercrombie they make here. Victoria Secret, mm, maybe the creams, but not too strong smells.

Anything Jeremy Lin. :smiley:

ps.
you know those maple shaped maple candies? Those are a big hit. Roots costs an arm and a leg here.

Teachers

take anything into consideration : people are more interested in things they rarely seen .

Here in Taiwan we see Concrete Jungles ,scooters , cars , trucks etc . And people … You should bring a donkey or any animals and when people see you they instantly know where the animal come from : Canada or whatever the place you call it .

We are in shortage of animals . Oh you could bring Reindeer ! I never seen one in my whole entire life !!

…shit ,only now i see where the postreply bottom is …so not easily spotted

thanks for all the suggestions! i personally hate maple syrup, but i guess its not a bad gift idea. roots i will consider, it is pretty expencive here too but we have outlet roots stores too. i will bring maple candy too.

as for the raindeer, that is the funniest reply EVER! i dont think i can stuff a raindeer in my luggage, but maybe i could bring an igloo, you know we live in igloos after all… ad i am pretty sure taiwan doesnt have any coz its so hot there :roflmao:

brand names at stupid high prices. ie Roots

i heard that Coach handbangs are expencive there, is that something i should consider getting ?

I recommend packing a llama, on the theory of killing two birds with one stone. A llama will sort out microaggressions pronto, and very effectively. Probably ought to cover up well before packing, though. :wink:

For me personally, if you can bring a bunch of maple planks or well quartered Sitka and Engelmann Spruce, I would love that.

Bring Tums or Rolaids antacids.
Calcium Carbonate antacid tablets are not available in Taiwan.
And believe it or not, they make good gifts for the elderlies.

Snow. Glaciers. Fir trees.

Oh yes, especially like special designs, which are really cheap at the outlets, but here cost an arm and a leg. Small ones for the in-laws, and little trinkets you can hang from the bags are a real hit.

(long time lurker registered in order to respond to this thread as I often bring back gifts for relatives in Taiwan…)

Second the Coach suggestion, those things are ridiculously mind boggling expensive in Taiwan to the point that makes no sense. I brought a small bag/clutch back for a cousin a year and half ago, and to this day she’s still in raptures over it and is constantly asked about it at gatherings. I would also venture forth LV wallets, Gucci small bags, and Hermes belts if your recipients are the name brand loving type. Those are expensive in the US, but not nearly as expensive as they are in Asia after the import/VAT taxes.

Abercrombie is actually a good gift to give, although it’s manufactured in Asia, it doesn’t have a store there which lends an aura of exclusivity. I also hit up Hollister for the younger relatives and whoAU.

Anything Jeremy Lin is definitely a good call.

I’d also suggest Godiva chocolates (quite expensive in Taiwan), cute English books for those with little kids, and any Apple products. But most of all… bring an empty stomach and biiiiig SD card! Have fun. :laughing:

Another thing, Levi jeans…

for some reason they’re so expensive in Taiwan but in the US you can get it for about 30 bucks a pair new, even cheaper if you buy it at at some closeout bins. Heck I found a European made Levi in Germany (they had a US made one too, but it did not fit me) for 5 euros at a second hand store. In Taiwan the list price is about 4000nt and it goes for around 2000 if its on sale.

I don’t see the reason to get Apple products from outside of Taiwan, the prices aren’t too different, at least comparing apple.com prices for both the US and Taiwan. I don’t know about grey market stuff.

Apple TV is not available in Taiwan, but other posters have brought one with them and it works in Taiwan.
I regret not bringing one with me, especially with AirPlay working with the next MacBook release.