What is the Ideal proximity to your inlaws and why?

How far is the moon from earth?

1 hour distance
ideal to meet them once a week in the week-end
for a 3 or 4 hour visit at the grandparent’s place

Five minutes walk or one minute driving. Well, that’s my mother-in-law, who is not insane, cooks nice things for us, and gangs up on my husband with me. :smiley:

Now, my putative father-in-law and his insane second wife are a bit farther away (about 30 min), and personally if I never went to see them again it would be too soon. But there is no avoiding it. At least they don’t seem to stop in or even initiate contact on their own; it’s only that we have to show up for “family events” (read: half-siblings birthdays, Father’s Day and the like.)

It’s an American thing, but we simply laid down the law this year and said we were having Thanksgiving and Christmas in OUR house and anyone who cared to come was welcome (although they had to not kill each other or the aggressor would be summarily ejected). Worked like a charm.

we’re actually pondering moving closer, as with work and studies, the MIL watches over the boy quite often, and the 30-40 minutes in between is a big hassle …

again though, stays outta our business, and cooks up a storm. i think my wife finds moving a closer a scarier prospect than i do :laughing:

My future in-laws live about 3 hours drive from us. We live in Sindian and they live in Shueili.
I can’t communicate with them because I suck at chinese :blush: so we usually just eat, sleep, watch tv, eat and sleep when we visit.
Kinda boring to be honest! The scenery is nice though, with mountains surrounding their little village. And they like seeing their grandson, so I just bring a good book to read when we go visit, which we do about every second weekend.
Sometimes I think we see them to often, not because I don’t want, but because I want more “quality” and alone time with my boyfriend :wink:

they never come to our place, since they are old and can’t drive or take the train…
two years ago we took them to china and it was their first time on a plane and on an escalator!! that was fun :laughing: