What is the law on walking your dog on a leash?

Exactly, kids come and provoke my dogs sometimes because they think it’s fun. One of my dogs loves it and wants to lick and play with them. My other dog was adopted from another family who had young children that was too aggressive to him as a puppy and we took him in. He doesn’t attack children randomly. But if they come provoke him, he will get aggressive.

It’s not necessary the kids fault, most of the time they are just playing around and don’t know any better. I just tell them to go away forcefully and they usually get scared and leave when I raise my voice.

1 Like

Yea and on top of that I’ve seen dogs going for kids totally unprovoked too.

I knew a guy who was mauled - kind of to death - by the neigbors dogs. Its horrific. But the guy was attacked and never recovered, died about a year later, an old age pensionner. Not in Taiwan. Old Country.

Just do what my friend does.
The old git walking usually starts by saying “is that your dog?” … he just stares at them intently and doesn’t say a word or break eye contact.

Some switch to English and repeat the question. He just walks away.
Seems to work for him so far. I was with him and was embarrassed by the long silence but he has it down to an art. People get very uncomfortable when you look at them and don’t speak and give up.

Moral of the story is don’t engage

2 Likes

I don’t like people that don’t leash them. It puts pressure on other people and other dog owners. Going by them. I don’t know a thing about the owner and his dog. If you’re out in the country side, whatever. But it’s basic courtesy in a busy city environment.

I don’t care how trained and mild mannered your dog is. There is always a possibility of something triggering them to become aggressive. If you unleash your dog, at least have the courtesy of being able to keep them next to you and not come to me or my dog unleashed. You got no control, I don’t know your dog and how he will react to me or my dog. Also you don’t know how my dog will react to your dog. Maybe my dog is super aggressive, your dog runs up to mine and I’m going to have so much pressure controlling my dog.

Leash.

2 Likes

Sensible and practical. I like it. It’s our approach already. She’s off the leash if she’s good. She goes on the leash if there are strays around, vehicles around, or any kids looking nervous.

The problem is everybody considers themselves to be a fantastic dog owner. Like it’s some kind of natural ability.

I was playing poker at some guy’s house and he kept banging on about how well trained his dog was and how he never bites. Of course, dog got spooked by so many strange men making noise and bit my calf.

2 Likes

Kids here either recoil in fear and or act aggressively towards the dog, trying to kick him, because of fear and parents telling them so.

Or like adults, they try to pet him without asking permission. Then get but.

Very few have actual knowledgeable parents who foster proper, healthy interactions with animals.

Ugh.

1 Like

Dogs in a city go on a leash. Its common courtesy, and also the law.

This is exactly the same mentality of “oh I’ll park in this crosswalk for just a moment, nobody is walking through it right now anyway!”

There are dog parks where you can take your dog off-leash, just like there are car parks where you can park your car.

1 Like

Well, the law actually says:

寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入之場所,應由七歲以上之人伴同。
具攻擊性之寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入之場所,應由成年人伴同,並
採取適當防護措施。
前項具攻擊性之寵物及其所該採取之防護措施,由中央主管機關公告之。

It is not helpful to other pet owners to state something is the law when it’s not.

Yes. It’s such a shame. I’ve seen parents yank their child out of the path of my dog when we she’s leashes and on the sidewalk just walking along. It’s no wonder that children here grow up to fear dogs and even harm them.

On the other hand, I’ve never really seen any young adults react in fear, which suggests that children with that kind of parent grow out of it.

Here’s the short list:

• Taipei: mandatory
  • New Taipei: mandatory (for any animals with aggressive behavior or a history of aggressive behavior)
  • Taoyuan: mandatory
  • Taichung: mandatory
  • Tainan: not mentioned in relevant laws
  • Kaohsiung: mandatory

【臺北市】
法規名稱:臺北市動物保護自治條例
第10條第一項:寵物飼主攜帶寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入之場所,應使用鍊繩、箱籠或採取其他適當防護措施。

【新北市】
法規名稱:犬貓管理辦法
第9條第一項:攜帶具攻擊性或有攻擊紀錄之犬隻出入公共場所者,應採取適當防護措施。

【桃園市】
法規名稱:桃園市動物保護自治條例
第8條第一項:飼主攜帶寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入之場所,應依其寵物之體型及種類,使用鏈繩、箱籠或其他適當防護措施。

【臺中市】
法規名稱:臺中市動物保護自治條例
第4條第一項:飼主攜帶寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入之場所,應依其寵物之體型及種類,使用鏈繩、箱籠或其他適當防護措施。

【臺南市】
法規名稱:臺南市犬貓管理及福利促進自治條例
查無相關資訊

【高雄市】
法規名稱:高雄市動物保護自治條例
第12條:飼主攜帶寵物出入公共場所或公眾得出入場所,應使用鏈繩、箱籠或採取 主管機關公告之適當防護措施。

7 Likes

Thanks for this list. It’s very helpful.

1 Like

Eh I often walk Bobby in Taida, on a leash. More often than not, it is the young men who jump and scream and make a fuss about him if he even looks their way. Young women just gush on how cute he is. He hates being called cute.

Moreover, most parks have a billboard with a list of rules -no laundry, no betting, etc- and among those walking dogs on a leash and picking up their poop are always at the top of such list.

Some rules are more equal than others

What kind of dog is Bobby? I walk my dogs there as well, so I wonder if perhaps we met.

PS. In taida i also keep my dogs on the leash.

It’s like:
“Does your dog bite?”
“No!”
“Wow, fuck he bit me, you said your dog doesn’t bite!”
“It’s not my dog.”

A tiny purse dog. Usually in a Jeremy Lin t-shirt.

should aggressive , over active kids on the MRT be leashed too. I think so.

2 Likes

I believe that was a scene from a pink panther movie