What is the market like in Kaohsiung at the moment?

Hello,

What is the market like in Kaohsiung for Buxibans at the moment? How easy is it to get a job at one?

I know all the laws regarding foreign workers and so on. I have little teaching experience though.

Thanks.

Well, one of the schools I work had trouble finding foreign teachers recently.

It was, however, a quality issue. They had a decent response to their ads, but the majority who came for interviews and demos were far below average.

If you are a decent teacher, I would say the market is ok.

I’ve never been to Kaohsiung, but the board has had some posts and threads about it over the years. On the board, I’ve sometimes seen recommendations to check Kaohsiung Living. There seem to be two sites by that name:

groups.yahoo.com/group/KaohsiungLiving_com/
kaohsiungliving.org/

Here’s a discussion of the job situation in Kaohsiung:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 35&t=99675

In that same thread, here’s bigduke6 with some good advice:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1#p1306501

Looks like bigduke6 really knows his stuff. You might orta pester him a little to see if you can get some brain-pickings out of him.

This newcomer says he found openings by word of mouth from expats in Kaohsiung:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=117435

Here the same poster repeats this assertion:

[quote]We have found that a lot of the expats here in K-Town are more than willing to help you get set up and find jobs–jobs that are not always advertised via the usual channels.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1496249

Here’s some general stuff (I was in a hurry, so I didn’t check it out thoroughly, so I’m not sure how useful it is):

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4#p1477014
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 35&t=83164
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 35&t=94692
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=110853
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=115575
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=107600
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=115529

Wow, didnt expect so much help. Thanks.

Is there a newbie thread…or a introduction thread more to where we tell a little bit more about ourselves? That way whatever questions I have might make more sense. Or I could just post it here.

When I come, it won’t be my first time in Taiwan. I have actually been to Kaohsiung twice during a summer and winter break and have many friends who live there.

I will pick all of your brains tomorrow. Need to sleep.