What is the oddest version of Western food you have ever had in Taiwan?

Hello. This post is both a warning and a question.
I went to that new shopping mall in Taichung the other day and had a weird experience. It was on one of the upper floors where both Duncan Donuts and Mr. Donut are. I went to Mr. Donut and ordered something that looked like one of Duncan Donut’s apple fritters. Little did I know what was in store for me :astonished: . I took a bite of it expecting the tangy refreshment of apple sweetness along with a little cinnamon spiciness. Instead what I got tasted like somebody had just barfed in my mouth. ‘WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS THIS?,’ I thought. I took another slight nibble and discovered to my horror that it was TUNA FISH. That’s right A TUNA FISH DONUT :aiyo: . It looked like one of the competition’s apple fritters.
I had an emergency situation on my hands. I had locate a drinking fount and Duncan Donuts immediately :pray: . I ran all over the floor looking for a water fountain to no avail because it is a big place. Finally I found Duncan Donuts, checked to make sure those were apple fritters they were selling, purchased one, triple checked to make sure it wasan apple fritter, and ate it :wink: . Whew!
So, first the warning; Mr. Donut is selling tuna fish donuts that may look like another donut that you would actually like to eat. WHO IN THE HELL puts tunafish on a donut :fume: :loco: ? That’s just wrong. If you go to Mr. Donut, be warned you may wind up with one of these pastries from Hell.

Here is my question: Has anybody here had any similar experiences with Asian bastardizations of Western food? Anything as strange or stranger than that?

2 Likes

There’s a ‘Mexican’ restaurant on Fuhsing North Road in Taipei not far from Gidday Cafe. I ordered a meal set which included ‘bread’ and soup. The bread turned out to be a donut covered in castor sugar. Dip that in your salsa. :loco:

As Shaggy from Scooby Doo would say in times of shock, ‘Zoiks!’ :astonished:

Corn on pizza. Corn on ice cream. Well, come to think of it. Fucking corn on anything and everything. Annoying as hell!

Place over the road from the Adventist hospital that sells “Italian Indian food”. :astonished:

1 Like

Jeesh, Jim! I’d have thought that an epicurean such as yourself would have heard of Indo-Italian fusion cuisine. I think I’ll knock up a lasagne vindaloo for lunch tomorrow.

Took a 3-week trip here with friends close to 25 years ago now. We were getting pretty tired of Chinese food, even the Chinese guys. Near Taipei Station saw a steak restaurant. Great. We all went in and ordered steaks. We were pretty psyched. They came, of course, on a bed of pasta and an egg, covered with a heap of black pepper glop. We couldn’t stop laughing, the waitresses thought we were nuts :slight_smile:

I made something like that tonight out of myriad leftovers. Dall and potato curry over spaghetti. A little starchy but overall very tasty.

Okay, to add to this thread. When I first came to Taiwan I went out to buy an ice cream one afternoon from the ice cream truck and all they had to offer me was leftover food and garbage.

And in those days it was unsorted. Young people these days don’t know how lucky they are.

Biting into a spoonful of what looked like hot, savory black beans, only to find they were cold and SWEET! :noway:

I took a girl out to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse one time and she thought the steak wasn’t all that great. I later went with that same girl to a place that had the black pepper-glop-egg steak and she thought it was better. Needless to say I am not dating that girl anymore.

2 Likes

Why not? Your dates would be a hell of a lot cheaper!

I must say that once, after a week-long hike across Yushan National Park, I dug into one of those and wow: sugar, fat and starch. It was everything I wanted, everything I needed.

True. But I like girls with good taste.

When I arrived in Taiwan, I didn’t have two pennies to scrape together. I survived the first three months eating one meal a day, the grim gruel served up to my kindy kids. After six months when I was eventually getting my feet on the ground, I splurged NT$150 at the local Sanchong “My Family Steak”. That steaming plate of noodles, peas, corn, uncooked egg and nasty steak smeared with grim pepper sludge tasted like heaven. :lick:

1 Like

Today I went to a wine bar to have a glass of wine and read a book. The wine and cheese that came are what I ordered. However, they also gave me a complementary bowl of Doritos (a small one thank goodness). Can anybody tell me what wine goes well with nacho cheese Doritos :ponder: ?

1 Like

Chilean white zinfandel. Trust me.

I do remember when restaurants would serve nachos presented individually upright on the plate each with its own individual portion of cheese, meat and veggies as if they were a plate of special bite-sized hors d’oeuvre.

Ahh, the Chilean wines go with a lot of things.