What is the SCSI/RAID Host Controller

that I see listed in my Device Manager?

I think it has something to do with my computer not recognizing my scanner.

Thanks!

What sort of scanner do you have?

SCSI is an old disk interface standard (still popular because it’s fast). RAID is a multi-disk system for mirroring disk drives (for increased availability/speed and for backup purposes).

My guess is that your motherboard came with an integrated RAID/SCSI controller, and that you don’t use it. Assuming you’ve got a USB scanner, it probably doesn’t have anything to do with your scanner problem, unless it’s something like an interrupt conflict that you have to reassign some numbers for.

Have any more information about the problem? Why do you think it has something to do with the SCSI controller??

Microtek Scanner 4700.

I think it’s related to my scanner problem because when I try to start Scanwizard, I get an error. “Can’t find scanners. Use SCSI probe to find scanner.” or something like that.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]Microtek Scanner 4700.

I think it’s related to my scanner problem because when I try to start Scanwizard, I get an error. “Can’t find scanners. Use SCSI probe to find scanner.” or something like that.[/quote]In the olden days before USB, scanners were sometimes conected via SCSI. It means it can’t find it on a USB port, so maybe you should check if it’s connected with SCSI.

SCSI is usually, but not exclusively, used for connecting hard disks. But IDE is more common because it’s cheaper. SCSI is sometimes used for more professional systems like servers, sometimes used with RAID for extra stabilty.

Looking at my computer here, which does not have a SCSI controller, the IDE is listed under “SCSI and RAID controllers”, it’s just used as a catch-all description for hard disk controllers.

A lot of the better motherboards these days also include a RAID controller. These use IDE as the disk drive interface, but because RAID traditionally was done on SCSI, the controller looks like a SCSI controller when it is just RAID. What is RAID? It’s a way of making multiple disk drives look like one, either for redundancy or performance. It’s possible that your scanner driver supports both SCSI and USB scanners and is confused by your RAID controller. If you don’t see your scanner in Device Manager at all, then it’s a lower level problem. Windows isn’t seeing it for some reason.

It’s not a SCSI scanner; it’s USB, at least according to the web sites I looked it up on.

Just because a program is trying to do a probe doesn’t mean that that’s the cause of your problems.

Some tests to do:

1. Does the scanner work when it’s plugged into any other computer? If not, it’s probably the scanner.

2. Do you have any other USB devices connected and functioning? If not, try some and see if your computer recognizes them. If so, try unplugging them and then try the scanner.

3. Does your computer work with other USB (especially USB2.0, assuming the scanner has USB2.0) devices? If not, take a look in the thread on XP screwing up USB:
    forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=12228