What is the standard procedure for babies directly after delivery in Taiwanese hospitals?

Hi I was wondering if the stories about the baby directly taken away to the nursing station and just been given back for feeding are true? Do the parents have any say in that case?

Iirc, during the night, babies are in the nursing station and during the day, they stay mothers rooms if they want.

1 Like

Depends on the hospital.
With our last one, we could choose between having the baby with us full time, keeping him at the nursing station full time, or half day each.

2 Likes

How do you ask the babies what they want? Is it just intuition?

4 Likes

:grinning:

you ask them to blink once for yes, twice for no, and three to times to let them sleep or pooh

4 Likes

the second they refers to mothers.

2 Likes

This. Some smaller hospitals have only one nursing station. So they can not separate fragile cases from the others.
They said if the child stays with the mother in the room, it can not go back to nursing station to avoid spread of sicknesses. So they had them all in nursing station. And let the mothers feed in a separate breastfeeding room, disinfecting the hands before going in.

2 Likes

coronavirus has any affection on this now?

1 Like

This was a few years back. Don’t know if they take additional measures during corona outbreak.

Babies often develop jaundice in Taiwan, so need to be separated for the first week or so.

2 Likes

Why is that specific to Taiwan? (Genetics? Hospital conditions? etc)

Genetics IIRC. However, I have the feeling that it’s sometimes used as an an excuse to separate kids from parents. More convenient for the nursing staff.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/infant-jaundice/symptoms-causes/syc-20373865

Do doctors and nurses in Taiwan not understand the importance of skin-to-skin contact with infants?
I had a friend in hs who’s mom was a doula and would often end up fostering newborns of drug addicts. Everyone in the family would take turns with the baby on their chest. That was sometimes the only treatment for the baby, which would have been born with the drugs in their system. Simple human contact…

Not to mention the help for the mother’s mental state (not relevant in the case of an adoption or foster care situation…)

TLDR: be sure to have lots of cuddle time with the baby and don’t let the doctors keep it away from you. else yer screwing over their entire future. Not really but sorta.

I need to be careful with my off the cuff musings.

I have no idea whether medical professionals in Taiwan deliberately separate babies from parents after birth.

The jaundice bit is fact, though.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the individual hospital, and, for foreigners, perhaps they don’t try to control much.

I know someone (the couple was both white Chinese-speaking Americans) who went home within hours of giving birth cuz there were cockroaches in the room and she wasn’t gunna have that. Five years later, I’d say their daughter turned out alright :wink:

Jaundice sounds bad.

Jaundice sounds worse than it is.

As per my experience at chang gung hospital Taipei.

After giving birth via c section baby stay at baby’s room and they help me feed the baby on first day as I cant walk yet. 2nd day went to baby’s room and feed my baby.

I stayed for a week at hospital.
Now my baby is no longer a baby missed those days.

1 Like

One of my kids had a mild case of infant jaundice. A day under a lamp helped.

Sometimes phototherapy – special light treatment – is used to help the body get rid of the excess bilirubin.

We had a baby born in Taiwan and he was kept in a newborn room for a few days. I think it was standard as all the other newborns were there too. I don’t see anything wrong with it, overall the system seems safe.