What is the your favortie National Cinema?

Which country’s national cinema do you like the most?

• France
  • Germany
  • Italy
  • Russia
  • UK
  • USA
  • Japan
  • Hong Kong
  • Korea
  • India
  • China
  • Taiwan

0 voters

I love the movie talk going on the other thread, so I want to get more going with this question. Basically which country’s films do you like the most? For whatever reason you like, but you should explain a little. I’ll try and include the most likely suspects (Big countries, countries with impressive film output and with histories of significant contributions to film - I can’t cover every country can I?).

I’m voting for Japan. I’ve only seen about 60 Japanese films (I kept count at one point), but there’ve been many gems in there. The Japanese have a long history of cinema which developed quite separately from the west. The tradition of having a narrator in the silent period was highly stylised and carried on well into t6he talking period, distinctively altering the flavor of Japanese films (Many film historians say). While Asian cinema powehouses India and HK produce more films, I personally feel that Japan has more than it’s fair share of wonderful ‘arthouse’ movies. They also have some ‘trashy’, but often original entertaining films, that are stylistically closer to HK films, and of course their own genre in the ‘anime’. Three of my favorite directors, Akira Kurosawa, Takeshi Kitano and (I’ve forgotten again) Ozu, are Japanese.

Brian