What is this place in Taipei?

No identifiers, and if you look on street view, it’s totally blurred out. I guess the entrance is next to Yusheng Elementary School, but it’s hard to tell (actually yeah there seems to be a double security gate setup there. There’s a 4-character sign after it but I can’t make it out.) One might suspect some connection to the NSB up on the hill, but visible parts of those buildings aren’t blurred. I checked some nearby military installations and they aren’t either. I happened to see it from up on Zhishanyan, all was quiet for the holiday I guess. Just curious

2 Likes

Look like they have an olympic size lap swimming pool.

Note: The first Google Maps picture I pulled up showed Chinese characters next to the pool and very clear lap lanes.

Maybe there is a secret underground tunnel up the hill to the very nearby National Security Bureau

2 Likes

Pretty sure it’s the headquarters of the Military Intelligence Bureau (國防部軍事情報局). Funny, I was wondering why there was a plaque about Dai Li (Chiang Kai Shek’s right-hand man and intelligence chief from the China days) on the “Yunong Reading Room” up on Zhishanyan, and there actually is a connection, maybe. “Yunong” is one of his names and another nearby elementary school and street are also named after him. I guess the headquarters predates all that.

2 Likes

Which reminds me about Drunkland nearby. I always forget about it when I’m in the area mostly because it’s just drive by and no reason to stop around there for anything.

Anyone been?

1 Like

Sounds great!

山竹營區 - Shanzhu Barracks

OpenStreetMap

總部在臺灣臺北陽明山下的芝山岩,設有情報學校訓練間諜,軍方內部稱該處為「山竹營區」
國民政府軍事委員會調查統計局 - 維基百科,自由的百科全書

:male_detective:

2 Likes

In that corner of Zhishan, I am partial to Caffé Ruelle (巷子咖啡).

Zhishan Garden looks quite nice, though I have never been.

Guy

I will check it out!

Do you mean 至善園 or 芝山巖?

It has the look of a school.

Ahh, it’s apparently the former.

Guy

Have you been to 芝山巖 (Zhishanyan)?

As with the other garden, no.

Do you recommend it?

Guy

It’s not bad for a walk on a weekday. There’s an old temple, some history from the Japanese and post-war eras, pathways. They put up some nice walkways, walking along the Shuangxi through there to Tienmu is nice.

1 Like

Zhishanyan is one of the oldest areas in Taipei. Six thousand years ago, Taipei was a large lake, and Zhishanyan was one of three islands in the lake. The other two being present-day Yuanshan and Treasure Hill. The Ketagalan people settled here some 600 years ago. There’s also an archeological site you can visit.

3 Likes

Great pictures. Looks like there was already a Japanese military installation of some kind where the current military intelligence base is. No, they say it was a Shinto shrine.

I was told a while ago it was a military training base for some of the intelligence guys by someone who (allegedly) worked in the big green National Security Building at the bottom of YangDe Blvd.

1 Like

Lots of wealthy people living around there. I’ve seen Bentleys, McLarens, Rolls and other supercars there.