What is this vice?

I don’t want to anything virtuous. I think I don’t want to do anything virtuous because it’s too inconvenient. Is it sloth? Tiredness? Boredom? I don’t want to do anything difficult.
I have a feeling the answers are out there - in the books I’m reading, for example. But I’m tired of looking at them. None of my girlfriends are available. In short I may have hit a bit of a dead end. Because if one doesn’t want to be virtuous and know truth for its own sake… All that is left is…
Maybe its a fear of failure. Fear of working at hard to do things that are difficult.
Maybe its boredom. Heidegger says interesting stuff about boredom.
Might read that, then. (Therefore I am instantly not bored haha).

Banality

Our lives constantly move us in the direction our subconscious thinks we belong

Squeezing your nuts in a vice because you enjoy it is itself a vice.

But I don’t know what that’s called either.

I think what it is that life is not so … when you merely pursue pleasure. I’ve got bored of the stuff that ‘makes me happy’…
All I have left is boredom

[quote=“trubadour”]I think what it is that life is not so … when you merely pursue pleasure. I’ve got bored of the stuff that ‘makes me happy’…
All I have left is boredom[/quote]
:thumbsup: Great post!!Ennui comes from being self centred (and we all are)! I think it’s time to take up stuff for others, cats, dogs, adopt kids, help friends move etc. or try changing channels! :laughing:

Sorry OP, but I’m afraid your remarks remind me of this:

It could be depression. But as divea said, it could be simply you’re a bit too self-obsessed.

It is just evolution and malaise. We evolved to stay alive. Now staying alive is a piece of piss. So what else is there left to do? Help other people stay alive? Pah. Who cares about other people? We don’t even need to really reproduce because we can see other people are doing all that stuff. Our species is too good at reproducing. Cannabis is a good way to shut out the nagging boredom of life. Or set yourself an impossibly difficult challenge. I’m trying to understand the human brain and human behaviour. A thankless, endless task, bound by the stupidity and limitations of both my brain and the brains of others. But I grew tired of bathing my brain in cannabis on an hourly basis. Time to look at the brain and all of its many fascinating defects.

In summary: find a puzzle you’ll never complete but will never grow tired of trying to solve. Or you could love a stray animal. Seems to work for a lot of people. Maybe taking care of something will give you a sense of purpose. Certainly you do not sound depressed.

Yeah. It’s not depression. I think I am neglecting my responsibilities and burying my head in distractions only for those distractions to run out and for me to be left merely tired.
Great cat vid - haha my comments really do sound similar.

Acedia.

[quote=“superking”]It is just evolution and malaise. We evolved to stay alive. Now staying alive is a piece of piss. So what else is there left to do? Help other people stay alive? Pah. Who cares about other people? We don’t even need to really reproduce because we can see other people are doing all that stuff. Our species is too good at reproducing. Cannabis is a good way to shut out the nagging boredom of life. Or set yourself an impossibly difficult challenge. I’m trying to understand the human brain and human behaviour. A thankless, endless task, bound by the stupidity and limitations of both my brain and the brains of others. But I grew tired of bathing my brain in cannabis on an hourly basis. Time to look at the brain and all of its many fascinating defects.

In summary: find a puzzle you’ll never complete but will never grow tired of trying to solve. Or you could love a stray animal. Seems to work for a lot of people. Maybe taking care of something will give you a sense of purpose. Certainly you do not sound depressed.[/quote]

My friend said almost the same exact thing during our last smoke-out session :laughing: Awesome :thumbsup: