What is truth?

Yeh, like Diamonds are a girls best friend, if she’s a superficial gold digger :raspberry:

The truth is there is no truth.

[quote=“Tyc00n”][quote=“NeonNoodle”]

Consider this: How are triangles defined? A triangle is a closed plane figure bounded by three straight lines or a polygon with three sides. Take away or add a side and it is no longer a triangle. Now in the Euclidean plane the sum of interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees. And most people would accept that as a true statement of all triangles. However, triangles on the surface of a sphere can have angles such that the sum exceeds 180 degrees. So it is not a true statement for all triangles.

So, three-sidedness defines triangles whereas the interior angle sum does not.

My point is that the properties that define an object must always be true for that object. Everything else is open to conjecture.[/quote]

I’ve considered it, and your wrong. Look at your definition, which is correct. “three straight lines”. Then you want to put it in the 3rd dimension and ignore a dimension by looking at it straight on. The lines only look straight, but in actual fact are curved which goes against the initial definition. By its very definition, triangles can only exist 2 dimensionally. (Triangles cannot exist on the surface of spheres)

QED[/quote]
You are both wrong and you are both right. To argue logically, you must use the same set of axioms. Plane geometry is Euclid, but using curved space is Lobachevski. They are not same.

I think you want the “What is a paradox?” thread.

I’d like to protest at the idea of a 3 dimensional triangle. Whilst I’m not disagreeing with Lobachevski, I disagree with the interpretation that a triangle enters the 3rd dimension. I think its no longer a triangle by defintion.

Your idea of putting the triangle on a sphere is more than just adding one dimension. It is changing the definition of what a straight line is.

[quote=“Richardm”]
Your idea of putting the triangle on a sphere is more than just adding one dimension. It is changing the definition of what a straight line is.[/quote]

well it wasn’t my idea, but no its not… you can’t just change the definition to make the mathematics work. A straight line is a straight line. A line that touches more than one point of a sphere without going through it is not a straight line.

I think you want the “What is a paradox?” thread.[/quote]
I think the questions just may go hand in hand.

Inquiring about truth is where lies begin.

How is one suppose to answer that question? It’s far too open-ended. Let me try again…

Truth is what’s left when the mud settles.
Truth is all around you and everywhere you look (though really hard to see I suppose).
Truth is the uncarved block.

“Truth is the bottom line for everyone.” – Paul Simon

So how old are you anyway?[/quote]

Old enough to know that I don’t have to tell it when I don’t want to…:smiley::

I think you want the “What is a paradox?” thread.[/quote]
This is the truth: everything I say is a lie.

Truth is an exact description of reality.

aka there is no truth.

Truth is an exact quote.

I wish my neck didn’t crack when I turn my head.

I am trying to write a brief synopsis for all of the easily available movies that I would recommend to my students and every so often I take a break and come here to see if anybody has said anything interesting. The synopsis writing is so laborious that I am now spending more time here than there. Neither Richardm nor Big Fluffy Mathew have reponded to my questions about the expanding universe in the “I don’t understand anything thread” and I have a little bit of a headache related, this time, I think, to eye strain and perhaps constipation.

At 4:15 this afternoon I began my swim and by 5:15 I had swum 2050 meters, or 82 lengths of the swimming pool. It amounts to the same thing but one sytsem of reckoning may be more likely to create an accurate mental image of the distances involved. It is not a big deal really, barely a skid mark on the pages of history in fact, but I mention it to you here because I feel like it. Anyway, the aforementioned excecise made me hungry so I phoned my wife to inquire as to whether or not she might join me for dinner. We agreed to meet at Eslite bookstore so I took bus no 63 with the intention of walking the remaining few blocks. On the bus several attractive young women glanced knowingly in my direction but this did not cause me to have an errection or to behave in any way that might be considered untoward. Dinner was a lovely Chinese affair and suprisingly affordable. After dinner my wife helped me with my Chinese. She is now curled up in bed looking cute as can be and I think to myself "hmmm, not bad…

Truth is our love for each other.

Truth is something you think that is real and unchangable. Truth is something you would die for. Truth is a concept that created by people, which has fooled people for centries. Truth is what you believe in, even if it’s sometimes bullshit.

aka there is no truth.[/quote]
Ain’t it the truth!