What is your Best experience with a fellow expat?

I’ve had so many good experiences with other foreigners also residing in Taiwan. I’m not sure I can list the best but negativity is supposed to help sell newspapers and attract more people. So I’m testing the waters.

If the theory is right and journalists don’t lie this will be a short thread and looked at less than the polar opposite thread.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”]I’ve had so many. I’m not sure I can list the best but negativity is supposed to help sell newspapers and attract more people. So I’m testing the waters.

If the theory is right this will be a short thread and looked at less than the polar opposite thread.[/quote]

Interesting idea. There have been many positive experiences. I guess, psychologically, we make more noise about the negatives and they seem to stick in our mind more. Specifics for me are hard to recall.

One has to be Taverncaptain. At one time, I was comntemplating a move to Taibei. When I told him this, he gave me a number of leads and personal references to help me find work in the area. I think this was going above and beyond.

There are many others I have met over time. Like I said, specifics are sometimes hard to recall.

The guy who posts on here by ACEarle and his wife (who is not expat, but none the less amazing) spoke with me when I had been here for 2 months about why I hated it and was so depressed. They targeted all my problems and introduced me to people who could help. I was depressed from the lack of LiveMusic, they introduced me to the owners of some live music venues. I was depressed by the fact that everyone I met seemed to be stupid and a druggy (thanks to my roommate at the time) and they introduced me to the wait staff at Riverside (all smart girls putting themselves through college). They still go out of thier way to make sure I am doing well and help me with everything. But now they are friends. When they did this all for me, they were strangers. Just very friendly, helpful strangers.

Also, this is a minor one but I was having a BAD day. A guy on the MRT gave me a copy of the New York Times the other day. I really had had one of those “humans can all eat shit and die” kind of days. And I reallllly needed just for one person to show me that humans didn’t all suck. And this guy was SO nice and so well spoken and then he gave me his newspaper. Which I also needed because I had a long ride (from XinDian to DanShui) and it was nice to read on the way.
I know that one sounds little, but sometimes the little things people do can really change your day.

I know them and hang out with them on a regular basis, Hoops Club, Food Club, Forumosa, GBC :wink:

Mormons on bicycles tell me the best cheap places to eat.
I always invite them along for a beer.

Waking up in bed with a horny young ex-pat wench.

Putting the word out on forumosa to help me capture said creature, and having people help me out.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Mormons on bicycles tell me the best cheap places to eat.
I always invite them along for a beer.[/quote] You do invite a lot of people for beers don’t you. Drinking alone sucks anyways. :slight_smile:

I like your thread MM. My best experience in Taiwan with an expat happened about two years ago. I met a friendly South-African while in Kenting and we ended up doing a bit of snorkling together. That was it. Then I ran into him again in a western restaurant. I was there to look at a notice board because I was looking for a job at the time. He happened to be leaving his job so he gave me the school contacts and he also put in a recommendation for me. Less than two months later, I had replaced him and it’s been an awesome school with nice people, above average pay, benefits and all that good stuff.

Not a great story, but no one has helped me as much as he did since I came to Taiwan.

Thanks to Ken.

bobepine

[quote=“Loretta”]Waking up in bed with a horny young ex-pat wench.

Putting the word out on forumosa to help me capture said creature, and having people help me out.[/quote]

What about the guy that didn’t post something really witty to put down your said conquest.

Recently this guy, nice guy, remembered that I was looking for a cheap gym nearby. He told me where one is. Now I just have to get there. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I’ve been lucky to have nothing but good experiences with ex-pats in Taiwan. Sure, I’ve met a person or two who was a bit rude, but who cares? I don’t even remember specific incidents.

I’ve received invaluable help from a number of ex-pats, many of them posters here (not the least of them a trio of guys who’s online names end in “-man”), who asked for nothing in return.

Lots of interesting, great people out there, of all sorts of different nationalities.

When I first came to Tainan loads of folks were very helpful in finding all sorts of useful things. Like cheap places to eat. Where to find western books, western restuarants. Most people have been really helpful and friendly. Those that are still here have become good friends…

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I know that one sounds little, but sometimes the little things people do can really change your day.[/quote] :slight_smile:

Tigerfest – good food, good beer (and lots of it) and good company. :slight_smile:

I’ll second that, though I would also add the various Fredfests. I’ve enjoyed each and every one of the Tigerfests and Fredfests, at leatst what I can remember of them. :wink:

As MT said, always good food and good beer (and wine and lychee martinis, wasn’t it?) and good conversation–and always plenty of everything.

The first time I went to a forumosa event…Games Club, after being invited by Mother Theresa. I had maybe one or two friends at the time, one being Okami, and had no idea that people actually read what I posted. It was overwhelming hearing people talk about what I had written, but that’s when I got my first sense of belonging in Taiwan.

Tigerfest – good food, good beer (and lots of it) and good company. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Second that!

I had just arrived in Taichung before the big quake hit, and before had it seemed that any random ex-pat on the street was more likely to sneer at you than smile. In the aftermath of the quake there were a lot of people pulling together and helping out: shared shelters in the park for the first week, cash for the guys down the block whose building collapsed, shared meals with those who had bbqs, free cameras for those just wanting to capture the event. Mood seemed to change in the community after that… too bad it took a disaster to make it happen.

Just a little over a year ago, I was seriously thinking of going to law school. I tried to contact everyone I know who knows anything about law and a career as a jurist.

Three of those people were Mother Theresa, smerf, and Tigerman. I wrote to each of them one summer afternoon from a desk in Kansas, USA.

Within only a few hours I received very thoughtful and detailed responses from each forumosan.

I was - and remain - very grateful. (I’ve never met any of these guys personally, although if I hadn’t had to catch a flight to HK a few months earlier I would have met Mother Theresa, who’d agreed to loan me a book…even though he didn’t know me).

All three of these guys are good guys, good ex-pats, and good forumosans in my book. :bravo:

A story

I was once a newbie in Taiwan. Life was great. Then came my first typhoon.

It was a pleasure tash. I was the ninja btw. :slight_smile: