What is your favorite drink shop? (you can choose two)

• Local tea chain like 50
  • Old style coffee shop
  • International chain like Starbucks
  • New style hipster coffee espresso cafe (non chain)
  • 711 or Family Mart
  • local coffee chain shops like Louisa Coffee 路易.莎咖啡
  • Bar
  • traditional tea house
  • other

0 voters

Curious what do people prefer, you can choose one or two

4 Likes

Tea house. I like my waitresses experienced!

5 Likes

Hope you also enjoyed your drink !

6 Likes

:howyoudoin:

So far - 11% have voted for Traditional Tea Houses (in Wanhua??) and 0% have voted for Starbucks!

3 Likes

It’s actually quite shocking how many great third wave coffee shops there are in Taiwan. Hell even Luisa impresses me as a simple americano from them there is comparable to more expensive coffee shops in other parts of the world.

3 Likes

My choices would be Louisa and there’s a new foreign chain ( I think) in Taipei that I was impressed with, Dreamers Roasters. Stylish , comfy and good coffee and food.

And many independent coffee shops although but very hit and miss for new ones due to many of them being very uptight , weird nerdy and having high minimum purchases and anti kids.

There are so many great coffee shops around the country. Taipei has a large concentration but you can really find them everywhere now. Louisa provides incredible coffee for the price. You get more choices in Louisa than a lot of so called boutique coffee shops overseas actually. Many chains and independents overseas just sell ‘latte’ and '‘cappucino’ lol. Compare that to Taiwan! What ya want? Latte…small or large lol.
There are so many coffee roasters and so many styles available in Taiwan and you can choose origin, filtered, drip etc.

As for traditional sit down tea shops they really haven’t upped their game as much of course Taiwanese love Chun Shui Tang.

And bubble tea stores…there are so many choices, I prefer some local operators in Taichung actually. I don’t know the names though.

6 Likes

My home is my fav.

According to some (contested) accounts, that’s ground zero.

Taichung folks do like their tea don’t they.

Guy

2 Likes

11% for 50lan!? I didn’t realise we had 16 year olds on here.

1 Like

My takeaway from this: Starbucks in Taiwan may once have had some kind of edge, but they seem to be—based on this poll so far, and what I see happening in Taipei—on the retreat.

Take upper Tienmu in Taipei City for example, up near the Shinkong Mitsukoshi Department store. Starbucks used to rule up there on the corner. Now they’re gone, with Dreamers Coffee and Louisa Coffee, both large and bright, sitting in its place.

Guy

3 Likes

Years ago they had kick ass cream topped coffee. It was so strong that half a cup would be too much for many. They stopped serving it after a year or so unfortunately.

I chose the local tea chain option because I love Swiido, even though they have only two shops. It’s the only place I’ve found where they use monk fruit instead of sugar (if anybody has other sugar free options, I would be happy to know about them!)

My other faves are the traditional tea houses in the mountains, like the ones in Maokong or Jiufen.

4 Likes

Those were always my favourite. Some old lady with just a fridge and some jars and a machine to seal the top. No menu. No English.
I miss passion fruit green tea and mango bin ze.

3 Likes

Milk Shop

1 Like

Huh. Until tonight, I’d for some reason thought that Dreamer’s was Starbucks, just trying to look slightly more upscale and trendy. Not sure why I thought that. Maybe because of the sign font.

Voted Other for brew pubs. A few around, but not all that many.

1 Like

Yes, seems in Taiwan there are better coffee choices. Starbucks prices are not good with out a promotion too. Seems Taiwan will be like Australia where there only a few Starbucks for tourists (that is what seemed to me as locals preferred their local cafe)

3 Likes

There’s only one Starbucks in the whole of Italy.

1 Like

This is true about StarBucks , but also surprised to see a prime location Starbucks close down.

1 Like

To be honest, when I travel internationally I find a kind of familiar comfort in Starbucks, at least until I get to know the area better. The same held true when I first arrived in Taiwan. Now I think Starbucks coffee tastes kind of burnt and I rarely go there (in Taiwan), especially since better choices have been increasing.

5 Likes