What job or opportunity would be great enough to convince you to go back to your home country

I know we all love living in taiwan despite some of the drawbacks. What opportunity at home or event would be enough to get you to consider going back home?

Playing this hypothetical game because I recently got an internal recommendation for a high paying gig at Xbox Studios at Microsoft. Haven’t interviewed or anything for it but it has been my dream to work on videogames. I just got back to Taiwan but it’s pretty tempting in the highly unlikely chance I actually got an offer and if they said there was no way to work from the Taipei office.

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Working on it…

3 Likes

for starters: lack of opportunity here might push me back home - no point in staying here if i can’t make enough money.

Any high paying position will probably be enough to get me to off Taiwan and move home or another country. but im happy here so I am not looking for those.

3 Likes

A relatively low-pressure full-time university teaching job, with an affordable middle-class home, walking distance from the campus, in the Vancouver area.

1 Like

A secretary with enormous, um, assets?

6 Likes

You mean like her own cappuccino machine in the office?

5 Likes

Came here to say this exact same thing.

1 Like

Whaddya think? Hopping onto the property ladder in Point Grey, getting a good job at UBC when I’m a hard-working teacher but couldn’t care less about the academic side? Sounds attainable, right?

2 Likes

So basically only a dream job. You ain’t going back soon then with those kind of conditions .

I’m moving from Taiwan soon, no dream job lined up but just got to figure it out and bring some cash in the back pocket. Hiring market is quite good to excellent in most countries so got to be optimistic. It’s much easier to be hired from there than here. Taiwan is too remote from Western countries. You won’t even appear on most employee searches in Asia probably let alone in Western countries (speaking out loud here, not about you).

4 Likes

Oh, I agree - nor do I have any plans to move back to work. But what I describe above is what I currently have here, and I’m happy with it. Well, content, anyway.

Major caveat is that I don’t have kids.

A complicating factor in my case is that Canada is friggin’ big and my friends and family have scattered across it, so there’s no center that I’d gravitate towards. That reduces the pull to move back.

2 Likes

I go where the money is.

4 Likes

60k a year anywhere in the UK except London. I’d want 75k there.

2 Likes

Any job that is at least as interesting as my current one, and pays at least as much. But those jobs are very few at home (Germany). US might be more realistic.

1 Like

75K is no longer enough for London for me. Everything just got even more ridiculously expensive here in the UK. We got lucky we locked in utilities rates for the year, utilities bills went up 2x recently and everything is getting more expensive when the UK is already expensive. I’d need 80k to live the same as 75k compared to last year.

Dividends is also being taxed higher and an increase in NHS rates is annoying. The UK is the only country I know of that has raised taxes during all of this.

2 Likes

This thread has really made me think. I’ve moved the opposite way from money since my first full time job :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m actually looking to go back to Taiwan despite it being a significant step back in terms of career and the life opportunities we’re supposed to be striving towards because I’m far happier there than I am in the UK. All the big high-flying jobs I could imagine in my particular niche are located here in London and I’m probably in a decent position to have a shot at any of them, so clearly money and career aren’t my biggest motivators.

That said, after living in Taiwan for a few years and maybe getting it out of my system, I could see the UK luring me back if I was somehow able to get a job doing something I find more fulfilling and meaningful than toiling away at an office. Or, perhaps, if the office was for a company that I really believe in and want to work for, like a startup doing really cool and awesome stuff.

4 Likes

I cant think of anything that would make me move back to the US. I’ve not lived there for over 2 1/2 decades now. I’d likely move to another Country before there if I had to. Nah, I’m rooted here for now at least.

1 Like

Job Market sucks in America. Spent months looking with decent credentials. Hundreds of resumes and only a handful of interviews. At least for jobs worth anything

I’m willing to cut half my salary to move to Europe.

2 Likes

Kinda in the same predicate but in opposite geographical situation: more and more I’m thinking of making the big move to Japan, but I’m afraid the smartest teams in my field are here in the US. I got no interest in the US in itself, but not finding a competent team in Japan would be reason enough not to make that big move and instead choose to stay here and visit Japan regularly.