What makes a good poster?

Maybe the greatest poster of all time. But evil. I took a cute girl to the prom. She had glasses and long straight light-brown hair, but after this poster she got the Farrah bug and changed her hair, clothes, and personality. She always had that larger than life smile. She was too good for me after that.

Thanks for the flashback! I remember that poster, and recall logging some time staring at it myself. Definitely a classic.

That’s all well and good but what happened to her husband, “The Six Million Dollar Man.” Imagine making that series today, I mean what could you get for six million bucks- some guy with prosthetics, crutches and a pair of night vision goggles. We can’t rebuild him. We’ll never make him better than he was before. Oscar would have to lend him his segway in every episode.

Yes that is true. It is like my student said to me today,“Spelling and grammar is difficult for me becasue I don’t know how it works.”

ok then…I take it back :slight_smile:

Seeing as how I participated in hijacking this otherwise great thread solely for the purpose of indulging my own teen fantasy flashbacks, I’ll help right the ship.

An addition and a suggestion:

1. To my way of thinking, another quality of an excellent poster is “closing the loop,” when appropriate. Often there is a post in which the OP asks for information and gets some help, but short of a full solution. He/she then goes off to try out the info or research the rest of the answer. Having later gotten the full answer personally through experience, an excellent poster, in my mind, comes back to his/her original post and posts a reply, explaining the solution. That method makes the thread fully useful to anyone who needs it in the future and reduces the number of times that forum members have to answer the same questions over and over.

2. The meat of this post would be a really good addition to the Wiki, in my opinion.

Seeker4

Good call seeker. Both the addition and the suggestion.

A good poster is one adds to the OP. I see a lot of posts thet go off topic and a lot of posters who spend too much time being funny, pointing out others mistakes, or being crude. Don’t get me wrong I love all of the former, but a good poster should also offer just as much relevent information to a thread.

I disagree, to a point. I have no problem with spelling mistakes or slight grammatical cockups - they happen to the best of us, and they happen to non-native speakers even more often. What I do have a problem with is the willful use of TXTSPK/AOLbonics - u kno wat i mean rite? So I would draw the line between using actual English - regardless which variant, be it American, British, NZ, South African, Australian, whatever - and 'tardspeak.

4 shure, tetsou. u no jsut whut i meen.

No really, I really get irked when someone talks about their prowess in English and their posts are chocked full of errors. It’s particularly annoying when it pops up in the Teaching English forum from people who claim they are teachers. That would be like having a math prof who wrote 2+2=5. The whole purpose of hiring a foreign teacher is because they are expected to be more competent in the language. It really makes me :fume: to see these people who could learn a thing or two about English from my 5th graders trying to pass themselves off as English teachers.

As for grammar, as I said, nobody’s perfect. I think much faster than I type and I often leave out words for this reason, but when a poster averages a high number of errors per post, they don’t meet my criteria for what makes a good poster.

This is balls. Total balls. There are people who rant and rave and talk out their sphincters for bloody pages, but contribute absolutely shit to a conversation. Then there are others who can contribute an untold amount through nothing more than a well-chosen one-liner or single-sentence comment.

Hell, just read the IP forum and you’ll see the proof that that quote is wrong :laughing:

What makes a good poster?

Well, my old Farrah Fawcett poster, that’s a GREAT poster, they don’t
make 'em like that any more. Not too much skin… leave something to
the imagination.

Also, velvet that lights up under a black light, like this one I have of
this Hot Mexican Chica, that makes a good poster too.

A good poster doesn’t use smilies.

A good poster =

• good sense of humor, laugh at stupid jokes that was direct to them
  • well-organized thoughs
  • well-written posts
  • express their own feelings yet be consider of others…
  • contribute to the topic and the information

a good poster is def. not Me. :blush: