What motorcycle is best for me?

I currently live in Taipei but might moved down south next year. I enjoy doing motorcycle trips around the island. I’ve been around the whole island 3 times.

My current bike is a Kymco Xing 150cc. I am in the market for something new or a good used bike. Preferrably something with more power. I also need some storage space. I don’t want anything over 250cc 'cause the insurancce and registration are too expensive.

Was thinking about the Honda Hornet 250. Any input about this bike. I’ve read some info. about it here. Can you buy saddle bags for it?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey there…If you look down the posts, you’ll find (maybe on the next page) a post about a similar question…that should help you clear things up!..cheers and happy reading!

This is the thread that Skylark Puma’s talking about;
[Hornet or VTR 250

Check this one out as well;
[Venox 250--your opinions, please

Thanks joesax.

I actually am looking for more of a lowrider. I liked my Kymco Xing 150. It did everything I needed it to do and never gave me any real problems. (Until now that is. Hence buying a new bike)

The Venox is more my style. But are there any other options in the 250cc lowride market?

Thanks guys.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]The Venox is more my style. But are there any other options in the 250cc lowride market?[/quote]Not that I know of, not here. Imported 250s tend to be either sport-style bikes such as the Hornet and the VTR, or enduro/dirt bikes.

I’m getting a hankering on this 225cc Yamaha tw that’s in my local bike shop. Based on looks alone – don’t know anything else about it, including price. Anyone have any experience with these?

[quote=“sandman”]I’m getting a hankering on this 225cc Yamaha tw that’s in my local bike shop. Based on looks alone – don’t know anything else about it, including price. Anyone have any experience with these?

[/quote]
I suppose that has the same engine as the XT225 “dual-sport” bike.

Those tyres look fairly chunky. Wouldn’t that slow it down a bit?

As far as I know, it isn’t very quick whatever kind of tyres are on it. But it’s the looks baby! The looks. Plus, I believe the engine is considered to be bulletproof.

Since you are discussing powerdifferences I would like to ask in this thread about the tinier scooters. I weigh 68kg and want to go around in the hillsides. Basically commuting to work across the XiZhi hillsides every workday. How much difference is it between 50-125-150cc-+ and can it be a big difference between lets say two different 100cc. The 50cc I’m riding right now just can’t do it. A co-worker wants to sell me a 100cc but I don’t think thats enough. Even though shops let you testride it around the corner I can’t goto the hills to test. How much do I need, 125cc? (I’m not a joyrider; just for transportation).

YingFan

Yingfan, it is not only the cylinder capacity that affects power and hillclimbing ability. The type of engine (2-stroke or 4-stroke, number of valves) and the age, condition and weight of the bike overall are important factors.

How much do you want to spend? What make and model is the 100cc bike that your co-worker wants to sell you?

Without these details, all I can say is that a 125 might be a good bet, although a 100 2-stroke engine would also do the job and even the SYM X-Pro 100 (a 4-stroke) is not too sluggish.

Do you mean that in general a 2-stroke is more powerful in climbing at the cost of topspeed compared to a 4-stroke? My budget is fairly limited, maybe 10-15k if that keeps me within 6y old or so. A 4-stroke would be preferred. Brand doesn’t matter to me, unless it’s too uncommon to easily have it maintained.

YingFan

[quote=“YingFan”]Do you mean that in general a 2-stroke is more powerful in climbing at the cost of topspeed compared to a 4-stroke? My budget is fairly limited, maybe 10-15k if that keeps me within 6y old or so. A 4-stroke would be preferred. Brand doesn’t matter to me, unless it’s too uncommon to easily have it maintained.

YingFan[/quote]For that money you’re definitely looking at buying privately. It might be possible to get a 6 year old 125 in reasonable condition for 15,000.

What bike does your co-worker want to sell you, and how much for?

In theory, 2-strokes are just more powerful full stop. But oddly enough, it does seem that most 2-stroke 90 and 100cc scooters here have a relatively low top speed.

Given your limited budget and the fact that you probably won’t want to spend too much time and money fixing a bike up, I think you’d probably be best buying a 125 such as a Duke. It is more likely to be in passable condition. But let us know about your friend’s bike. If he/she can sell it to you for a reasonable price and you know it goes alright then it might be worth getting.

He has been away in Canada for some time so haven’t had the chance to ask, but I kind of put that one out of my mind. Don’t think I want anything less than 125cc.

Top speed is not an issue at all. I just want decent speed on a steep slope. However after riding a 2-stroke for a while it kind of gives me an unreliable feeling as compared to 4-stroke?

Guess I can stretch the budget some. I’ve been eyeing PGO scooters alot and I’m seriously interested in the charge or i-charge, but on their webpage I couldn’t find out how old these models are. That is, are there any used ones out there? PGO has quite a small market share it seems, but seems like a robust one…
What do people in general think about the PGO brand. In my homecountry it has the largest market share actually, although I had no idea about that until I started checking them out.

YingFan
PS Thanks for your advice sofar

[quote=“YingFan”][quote=“joesax”]
In theory, 2-strokes are just more powerful full stop. But oddly enough, it does seem that most 2-stroke 90 and 100cc scooters here have a relatively low top speed.
[/quote]

Top speed is not an issue at all. I just want decent speed on a steep slope. However after riding a 2-stroke for a while it kind of gives me an unreliable feeling as compared to 4-stroke?[/quote]My Dio 50 is ten years old. I bought it two years ago. I ride it nearly every day. It’s still going strong. I wouldn’t say that two-strokes are inherently less reliable.

But yes, it sounds like a four-stroke 125 will suit you fine.

How much do you want to stretch the budget to? 20,000 should get you something in pretty good condition, even from a dealer.

You said you like PGO but really when you’re talking about getting a second-hand scooter for basic transport I don’t think you need to be too picky about brands. Get a Yamaha, a Kymco, a SYM, or a PGO if you find one that suits. But the main thing you should be looking at is the overall condition.

[quote=“YingFan”]Thanks for your advice sofar[/quote]You’re welcome!

On the 4-stroke 2-stroke topic…

A 2-stroke is roughly the same as a 4-stroke of double the size. So a 100cc 2-stroke should give you 200cc 4-stroke power…also 2-strokes are less than half the price of 4-strokes to fix or replace the engines. Get a 2-stroke…and slap in a brand new engine (piston, head) for only a few thou.

[quote=“Mordeth”]A 2-stroke is roughly the same as a 4-stroke of double the size. So a 100cc 2-stroke should give you 200cc 4-stroke power…[/quote]I know it kind of looks like that in theory but it doesn’t really work like that. I read the reasons on a website once but I’ve forgotten the details. Anyway, all other things being equal, a 2-stroke engine will give you more power than a 4-stroke of the same size, but not double the power.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the main 2-stroke/4-stroke debate centers on available torque at what RPM range.
It is characteristic of 4-strokes to have their useful torque available at lower RPMs.
For 2-strokes, their useful torques range occurs at a much higher RPM range.

(‘useful torque’ is not eacetly the right phrasing - but its what came to mind)

I personally prefer 4-strokes for their available low-end torque. Its what I forst became familiar with. Its what I personally find most comfortable.
I also am of the belief, after 30+ years of motorcycle riding, that 4-strokes demand less in terms of owner maintenance. Again - my opinion.

For 2-strokes, the power is there, if you stay in the RPM range to get it. And for many, such as myself, that range just makes the bike too damn squirelly.

YMMV…its all good.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Correct me if I am wrong, but the main 2-stroke/4-stroke debate centers on available torque at what RPM range.
It is characteristic of 4-strokes to have their useful torque available at lower RPMs.
For 2-strokes, their useful torques range occurs at a much higher RPM range.

(‘useful torque’ is not eacetly the right phrasing - but its what came to mind)

I personally prefer 4-strokes for their available low-end torque. Its what I forst became familiar with. Its what I personally find most comfortable.
I also am of the belief, after 30+ years of motorcycle riding, that 4-strokes demand less in terms of owner maintenance. Again - my opinion.

For 2-strokes, the power is there, if you stay in the RPM range to get it. And for many, such as myself, that range just makes the bike too damn squirelly.

YMMV…its all good.[/quote]Interesting points.

Stock 2-stroke scooter engines are actually lightly stressed. I’ve been none too gentle on my little Dio but it’s still going strong. And the narrow range of usable power is not a problem because of the continuously variable transmission.

Modern 4-cylinder 4-stroke motorbike engines rev fast! The CB400 I rented in Thailand didn’t do a great deal below 8000 rpm.

Still, I think you may well be right that 4-strokes are more reliable on the whole. My dad certainly thinks so.

My dream bike would be a 400-650cc v-twin.

Joesax -
I think your reference to the CVT thing is a key item in this discussion.
This negates concern for keeping the RPMs and shifting points in the ‘powerband’ of 2-strokes.
Of course this is not a factor in the larger and manually shifted bikes.
Your mention of the CB400 in Thailand is interesting…a 4-stroke coming into its torque at 8,000 RPM…WOW…thats a 1st for me…lol. Quite an accomplishment.

A 2-stroke engine has twice as many combustions as a 4-stroke for any given RPM. So from that alone…it seems that the power would be double…which it almost is. A 500cc 2-stroke will compete with any 1000cc 4-stroke…for example. And a 150cc NSR is just as fast as most 400cc bikes…due to the fact it’s so light…and has an engine comparable to a 300cc 4-stroke. Only downside is there’s no torque with a light quick bike…so it lacks the “feel”.