What motorcycle to replace Kymco Zing?

I’ve had an old Kymco Zing for a few years. It has served me well but it’s getting a bit tired and rusty.

I’m starting to think about what I should replace it with in the next couple of years.

I like to go deep into the mountains (like, Smangus deep) and the thing that really appeals to me about the Zing is it’s great range. Small engine plus big tank means I can drive forever without having to worry about my petrol running out.

So I’d like to replace it with something 150cc-250cc (not going through the expense and BS of a big bike unless I decide I’m staying here forever) that has good range and is reasonably comfortable for long rides (which the Zing would be if it didnt have a redonkulously small seat).

Given that the motorcycle market in Taiwan is even more pathetic than the auto market I dont have many options.

What would you go for?

I owned such a bike for about eight years and I recently switched to a scooter. I bought a Yamaha Cygnus 125cc. Best move ever. It’s much better when it rains, it’s faster, it’s lighter, the seat is huge in comparison, and it can take up to 200NT of gasoline when it’s very empty so the range isn’t a problem. The only downside is the smaller wheels. It’s a bumpier ride.

I find scooters, like cars with automatic transmissions, insufferably boring to drive. Definitely more practical in most cases though and since I have a son I’m thinking about getting a 250cc. scooter instead. However, it does seem that when I ride with scooter people they are always getting low on fuel long before I do. Maybe it’s cause they always have the typical ghetto waiguo ‘Duke’ or ‘Cabin’ or ‘Attila’ etc. scooter. So you can do a round trip pretty much anywhere in the mountains (2-3 hours each way etc) no problem?

Once you’ve had a motorcycle you can’t really go on long rides with a scooter. I have a Magic 125 Hartford scooter for every day use( small tank though, and the petrol squirts out if you don’t tell them to do it slowly) and then I have a Sanyang 150 for my long rides:D

I don’t think it would go 5-6 hours on one tank. 2-3 hours no problem. Of course, it depends how much led is in your shoe. :wink: I think the bike will outlast my scooter for sure but the big gas tank on my scoot is good enough for most of Taiwan.

I also prefer riding a bike as a general rule, but for day to day use in the city, I’ve grown attached to my scoot.

Since a scoot isn’t an option, if it were me I’d be eying out the new Hartford. I can’t link a picture for some reason but here’s a link to the Hartford website. The bike in question is shown on the home page. hartford-motors.com.tw/ I’ve seen one on the road so far. I like the look of it and I think Hartfords aren’t bad bikes at all.

Just curious, what’s a new Cygnus 125cc go for these days?

Just curious, what’s a new Cygnus 125cc go for these days?[/quote]I think they are just under 70K. The basic models are closer to 65k. The price varies depending on certain components. I know this because I shopped for new and used scooters twice in the last year.

I bought mine used for under 36k, if I remember correctly.

From your description, Yamaha SR150 or Kymco Grand King. But then we get into relative coolth considerations, which looses me.

Yamaha Breeze, perhaps. Its the only twin and its said to be practical to increase the engine capacity up to and beyond 250. Both the Yamahas only available used. Not sure about the King.

Suzuki Grasstracker (250) if you can find and want to pay for one. Hartford VR, (which you can get with a 200cc engine.) ditto.

I personally think “cruisers” like the Zing are a bit silly, but, given that you like it, and that most if not all its potential replacements are only available used, you might be just as well renovating it. I think parts are still readily available.

Rust is quite easy to stop.

AFAIK the only new bikes now available after mandatory FI came in are the SYM Wolf in various guizes, the Kymco KTR /Quannon, and the Hartford HD. I didn’t mention them because they are smaller and so didn’t seem like “cruiser” replacements, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

As I said I’m not sure about the Grand King. If you want to be really silly, the Vennox MIGHT still be available new, and its the most obvious “bigger cruiser” replacement)

Oh, and the CPI 250, though it has a bad rep.

[quote=“Ducked”]From your description, Yamaha SR150 or Kymco Grand King. But then we get into relative coolth considerations, which looses me.

Yamaha Breeze, perhaps. Its the only twin and its said to be practical to increase the engine capacity up to and beyond 250. Both the Yamahas only available used. Not sure about the King.

Suzuki Grasstracker (250) if you can find and want to pay for one. Hartford VR, (which you can get with a 200cc engine.) ditto.[/quote]

My vote would be the Suzuki Grasstracker, but they aren’t cheap. That would be a great bike to ride in TW though. I like the Hartford 200cc, but they technology on those engine are just so old. Still probably a decent bike if you take care of it. I would stay away from FZRs now. They are old and it’s hard to find one in really good contition. They are cheap though. I find that most mechanics don’t know how to work on them much any more.

[quote=“Ducked”]
Oh, and the CPI 250, though it has a bad rep.[/quote]

I have one and don’t have any problems with it. Actually, I love this bike. It isn’t going to win any awards, but it is a lot better than lets say the Quannon, Wolf, or Zing in my opinion. It’s cheap too. Bought mine used and heavily modded for 80k. So far no problems, but who knows what is in store for me with this bike.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Ducked”]From your description, Yamaha SR150 or Kymco Grand King. But then we get into relative coolth considerations, which looses me.

Suzuki Grasstracker (250) if you can find and want to pay for one. Hartford VR, (which you can get with a 200cc engine.) ditto.[/quote]

My vote would be the Suzuki Grasstracker, but they aren’t cheap. That would be a great bike to ride in TW though. I like the Hartford 200cc, but they technology on those engine are just so old. Still probably a decent bike if you take care of it. I would stay away from FZRs now. They are old and it’s hard to find one in really good contition. They are cheap though. I find that most mechanics don’t know how to work on them much any more.

[quote=“Ducked”]
Oh, and the CPI 250, though it has a bad rep.[/quote]

I have one and don’t have any problems with it. Actually, I love this bike. It isn’t going to win any awards, but it is a lot better than lets say the Quannon, Wolf, or Zing in my opinion. It’s cheap too. Bought mine used and heavily modded for 80k. So far no problems, but who knows what is in store for me with this bike.[/quote]

Yeah I’m kind of thinking the HD-200 might be a decent enough ride. Depends on how comfortable it is. I’m used to the cruiser riding position. As for the others:

What years did they make the Breeze? Are they easy to find used? Do they have a tiny seat like the FZR?

The Venox could be an option too, if I could find one cheap enough. I’d take off all that moronic chrome engine facade though, just dead weight.

The SM-250. Hmmm I’ve thought about that too. I tried one though and I cant imagine driving 6+ hours (as I like to do during the summer) on that seat. Also, I’m still sketched out by the reliability issues - It would take a next gen model with a good rep from riders before I get anything CPI. I wish Kymco would make a comparable bike, I would trust that.

And yes, the farm bikes. You know, I’ve seen a lot of SR-150’s where the owner took off the chain guard + put on a new seat cover and a round head light - they dont look too bad! Still, I’d rather get a 200 or 250.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback - I’ll go look at an HD-200 in the near future I think.

:doh:

I don’t think you want to buy a 15 year old farm bike. Yes, you can make them like a little retro and I have seen some nice ones, but they are 4-stroke farm bikes, with drum brakes and low gears. Get that out of your mind immediately. We actually have two race SR 150’s at the CSRT shop. To make them race worthy is basically changing everything except for the stock frame. Even the swing arm is changed. You can actually upgrade the engine to 250cc’s, but you need money. Just get something newer at least with stock disk front brakes. :slight_smile:

I don’t think you want to buy a 15 year old farm bike. Yes, you can make them like a little retro and I have seen some nice ones, but they are 4-stroke farm bikes, with drum brakes and low gears. Get that out of your mind immediately. We actually have two race SR 150’s at the CSRT shop. To make them race worthy is basically changing everything except for the stock frame. Even the swing arm is changed. You can actually upgrade the engine to 250cc’s, but you need money. Just get something newer at least with stock disk front brakes. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Though he does seem to suffer a bit from the usual biker-boy-fashion-victim syndrome, the OP has said nothing about “race worthy”. He’s talked about touring in the mountains,and replacing a Kymco Zing, which almost certainly isn’t “race worthy” either.

I’m not sure about this but I thought SR150’s were available new up until the compulsory FI thing came in, based on seeing one in the Tainan Yamaha dealers window until just before then. If thats right, he should be able to buy a relatively new one.

I don’t think you want to buy a 15 year old farm bike. Yes, you can make them like a little retro and I have seen some nice ones, but they are 4-stroke farm bikes, with drum brakes and low gears. Get that out of your mind immediately. We actually have two race SR 150’s at the CSRT shop. To make them race worthy is basically changing everything except for the stock frame. Even the swing arm is changed. You can actually upgrade the engine to 250cc’s, but you need money. Just get something newer at least with stock disk front brakes. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Though he does seem to suffer a bit from the usual biker-boy-fashion-victim syndrome, the OP has said nothing about “race worthy”. He’s talked about touring in the mountains,and replacing a Kymco Zing, which almost certainly isn’t “race worthy” either.

I’m not sure about this but I thought SR150’s were available new up until the compulsory FI thing came in, based on seeing one in the Tainan Yamaha dealers window until just before then. If thats right, he should be able to buy a relatively new one.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen SR-150’s new at Yamaha dealers as late as last year.

And yeah, they are lame. But just so you know how big of a grandpa I really am, my dream bikes for Taiwan are the BMW F-650GS and Suzuki V-Strom 650.

I’m not sure about this but I thought SR150’s were available new up until the compulsory FI thing came in, based on seeing one in the Tainan Yamaha dealers window until just before then. If thats right, he should be able to buy a relatively new one.[/quote]

They are sorry, I meant 15 year old or more technology. Not much has changed on those bikes. The new ones are using the same parts as the 15 year old ones. Almost same everything. You get my drift. I dont even know if the new ones come with stock front disk brakes. Like i said, I don’t know. I would hope to god they do, but I doubt it.

You and I both agree that he could do a lot better with something else than replacing his Zing with an SR150.

[quote=“rk1951”][

You and I both agree that he could do a lot better with something else than replacing his Zing with an SR150.[/quote]

I think he perhaps could do better (as per, for example, the Grasstracker) but not necessarily a lot better, especially factoring in the cost.

I’ve only ridden an SR150 briefly. I’m no expert, I’m not even competent, but it seemed like it could make quite a nice unstressed tourer once you got used to the cyclic gearbox, which I didn’t have the experience to cope with properly.

15 year-old technology (older, I’d have thought) is a GOOD thing in my book. Newtech sucks generally, especially in a maintenance context, but even if it didn’t AFAIK no newtech is available in a Taiwan 250 or below unless you go for a pricy Ninja, though I suppose the KTR engine is a bit newer and has 4 valves.

Experienced people have said on here that the SR150’s drum brakes are OK, and I’m inclined to believe it. They are bloody big drums.

My :doh: wasn’t a response to the idea of getting an SR150, but of buggering it about taking the chain guard off and trying to make it look like some kind of retro racer, which is just silly.

It is what is is.

Are you kidding me!! My 1951GMC pickup (first ride, and still own her) has stock front and rear drum brakes, my 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury had them too, until my pops and I upgraded to front aftermarket disks. Drum brakes are old, very old technology…older than you. Anyone who says they are still ok, must be the people that still belive kato kaelin did it, or the people that believe Michael Jackson never touched little children, or the people that still believe in Big Foot. C’mon, I don’t care what people have said. Drum brakes are the worst. So, you don’t have any experience with drums? I would love to see an arguement here. Give me your biggest drum, with my smallest disk and I will out stop you any day of the week.

The SR 150cc motorcycle sucks in the year 2011. Maybe back in 1994 it was considered a nice ride, but not now.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Ducked”]
Experienced people have said on here that the SR150’s drum brakes are OK, and I’m inclined to believe it. They are bloody big drums.
[/quote]

Are you kidding me!! My 1951GMC pickup (first ride, and still own her) has stock front and rear drum brakes, my 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury had them too, until my pops and I upgraded to front aftermarket disks. Drum brakes are old, very old technology…older than you. Anyone who says they are still ok, must be the people that still belive kato kaelin did it, or the people that believe Michael Jackson never touched little children, or the people that still believe in Big Foot. C’mon, I don’t care what people have said. Drum brakes are the worst. So, you don’t have any experience with drums? I would love to see an arguement here. Give me your biggest drum, with my smallest disk and I will out stop you any day of the week.

The SR 150cc motorcycle sucks in the year 2011. Maybe back in 1994 it was considered a nice ride, but not now.[/quote]

Well, I havn’t ridden a motorcycle with drums extensively for about 30 years. It stopped OK. I’ve had cars, and a 5 ton truck with drums. They stopped OK too.

Your “Give me your biggest drum, with my smallest disk and I will out stop you any day of the week.” seems ridiculous. It CANNOT be true on any day of the week, because it defies physics and logic. The brake with the greater stopping power out-stops the lesser, by definition, and quite independently of its design.

For a given stopping power, I’d guess disks are superior because they offer better heat dispersal. That could be critically important, especially in the mountains, but its importance is heavily dependant on riding style.

You’ve talked about racing, which gives us a clue as to your preferred riding style, but it isn’t necessarily the riding style appropriate for the cruising I thought the OP said he wanted to do.

Anyway I made it quite clear I was going by owners reports. Many of them consider it a nice ride. If you wanted something sporty you’d obviously buy something else (For example, theres a CBR 150 on Taiwanted at the moment).

The OP is replacing a Zing. I had a Zing and I think they’re a bit silly, but lots of people like them. Not everyone is a racer.

The year shouldn’t matter either way unless you consider yourself a dedicated follower of fashion.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Ducked”]
[/quote]

The SR 150cc motorcycle sucks in the year 2011. Maybe back in 1994 it was considered a nice ride, but not now.[/quote]

Well, I havn’t ridden a motorcycle with drums extensively for about 30 years. It stopped OK. I’ve had cars, and a 5 ton truck with drums. They stopped OK too.

Your “Give me your biggest drum, with my smallest disk and I will out stop you any day of the week.” seems ridiculous. It CANNOT be true on any day of the week, because it defies physics and logic. The brake with the greater stopping power out-stops the lesser, by definition, and quite independently of its design.

For a given stopping power, I’d guess disks are superior because they offer better heat dispersal. That could be critically important, especially in the mountains, but its importance is heavily dependant on riding style.

You’ve talked about racing, which gives us a clue as to your preferred riding style, but it isn’t necessarily the riding style appropriate for the cruising I thought the OP said he wanted to do.

Anyway I made it quite clear I was going by owners reports. Many of them consider it a nice ride. If you wanted something sporty you’d obviously buy something else (For example, theres a CBR 150 on Taiwanted at the moment).

The OP is replacing a Zing. I had a Zing and I think they’re a bit silly, but lots of people like them. Not everyone is a racer.

The year shouldn’t matter either way unless you consider yourself a dedicated follower of fashion.[/quote]

I think Ed at least is getting the picture that I dont care how fast or cool it is. Yes, I know the SR-150 is ghetto. And so is the Zing, it’s a total hog and I have no illusions of it being cool. I bought it soon after I first arrived in Taiwan because it was cheap, the dealer was a friend of a friend and its a motorcycle not a scooter. The fact that it was a 150 cc cruiser (what a joke!) actually bothered me a bit at first but I ended up enjoying the riding position quite a bit. And it’s been reliable as hell and served me well. I’ve beaten the snot out of it and treated it almost like a dual sport while exploring pretty much everywhere in Taiwan over the last 3 years. It never once let me down.

Anyway lets face it, as far as motorcycles are concerned Taiwan is a third world country. You dont have many options and if you want something cool you need to pay exorbitant prices for it.

When I was in Singapore, CB-400’s (which is what I would consider a ‘decent’ bike back in the US) seemed to be as ubiquitous as scooters. You hardly ever see them here. Actually,I did see a club of them once they all had “CB-400 Club” T-shirts and jackets like the CB-400 is some kind of hot bike hahahahaha.

So yes, this is Taiwan and I’m resigned to the fact that I can only afford a ghetto motorcycle. I’m not a big enough enthusiast to spend Taiwan prices on a decent bike at this time. If I really want to splurge I’ll track down a used Hornet, but I’m still not sure I want to spend $5,000US on a used 250!