What motorcycle to replace Kymco Zing?

I am not all all trying to say anything about racing. Drum brakes are old, and they are unsafe. The standard drum brake on motorcycles in Taiwan are not going to out stop a Taiwanese motorcycle with disk brakes. I have had 2 Kymco Zing motorcycles since I have been on this island. The stock brakes, if taken care of were actually decent. Way better than any SR 150. So going from a disk brake then back into time to a drum brake is stupid and unsafe. Especially on the roads here in Taiwan. If you can find an SR 150 with front disks then fine that bike would be great for you. If you don’t have cash for a new bike, or you don’t care about looks then just get another Zing.

I’m sorry if I sounded like I am talking about racing, but thats what I am trying to get at. I’m talking about safety, but I probably should have stated that. I know you don’t care about looks, or how cool it is. Get something newer, or at least with disk brakes. You have to agree with me here. Drum brakes don’t grip like like disk brakes do. You don’t have nearly the same amount of control. Drum brakes are the king of brake fade.

Also, yes get me any size motorcycle drum and I will get the smallest disk brake setup and I would bet I would outstop you.

Why not check out used KTR’s. I didn’t even think about them until now. IMO, they are great bikes for the price. I think you can find used ones for around 30-40K, maybe new only like 50-60K. They made by Kymco, and they have disk brakes. :slight_smile: The riding style is more up right, not down low like the sport bikes have. It rides a little higher than most Taiwan made 150cc bikes. The seat is big enough to cary another rider if needed too.

I just checked Yahoo Auctions and there it looks like 2003-2005 are going for about 25-35,000nt. Not bad.

I would agree 100%. My 1957 Chevrolet truck and '68 Chevy van agree

This is a really good idea. They were (arguably) the best local ‘standard’ motorcycle available five years ago. They are reliable and would seem to fit what you’re looking for.

I rode an SR150 most of the way around the 'wan about a year ago. NEVER again. Not even for 10 meters. I’d take a 125cc scooter instead. Before completing that trip, I shipped the SR150 back to Taipei and finished the trip by bus and train.

Pro: Cheap, steel frame (easy to weld), low tech (Ah Huang-able)
Con: A disaster waiting to happen when loaded (brakes, handling, “suspension”). No power, esp. in the mountains.
Ideal for: Cruising under 70 kph, one up, no load, dry, flat roads.
Extremely dangerous for: hauling 3 large propane tanks, esp. in the mountains, which is a common use for these bikes.

Advice: Now that the CPI 250 has been beta-tested by 2 years of initial buyers and the factory hasn’t been flooded recently, were I you, I would buy a used, good condition JP moto or a new CPI. Or a BWS scooter. If you’re rolling in dough, a Kymco Nikita. Too bad the SYM Citycom 300i is not sold in the 'wan. It is superior to the Nikita, esp. if you are more than 180 cm tall.

To the OP & others,

Suzuki is marketing a rather interesting 250cc bike now that you might want to check out.
Appears nicely made and the one person I know who bought and has now put approx. 12,000k’s on it is rather well satisfied with its dependability and build quality.
Its not perfect, what is, but its a good move in the right direction for a ‘Taiwan All Purpose Motorcycle.’

(which I would posit is a 1970 Honda 350cc)

[quote=“maunaloa”]I rode an SR150 most of the way around the 'wan about a year ago. NEVER again. Not even for 10 meters. I’d take a 125cc scooter instead. Before completing that trip, I shipped the SR150 back to Taipei and finished the trip by bus and train.

Pro: Cheap, steel frame (easy to weld), low tech (Ah Huang-able)
Con: A disaster waiting to happen when loaded (brakes, handling, “suspension”). No power, esp. in the mountains.
Ideal for: Cruising under 70 kph, one up, no load, dry, flat roads.
Extremely dangerous for: hauling 3 large propane tanks, esp. in the mountains, which is a common use for these bikes.

Advice: Now that the CPI 250 has been beta-tested by 2 years of initial buyers and the factory hasn’t been flooded recently, were I you, I would buy a used, good condition JP moto or a new CPI. Or a BWS scooter. If you’re rolling in dough, a Kymco Nikita. Too bad the SYM Citycom 300i is not sold in the 'wan. It is superior to the Nikita, esp. if you are more than 180 cm tall.[/quote]

Yes, this is true about the SR 150cc. I’m glad someone else finally agrees. Worst bike ever! The Kymco Zing is better IMO.

I own a CPI 250, 20,000 clicks on her. Not a problem yet. You can find them used for 65-80K. I think they are great for what they are. Just don’t off-road it, take care of it, and tighten all the bolts on it once a month and you’re laughing. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I think I’ll look for a used Suzuki TU-250. I just dont think I can deal with that moto seat on the CPI for long rides, even if all the issues have been sorted out on that bike.

Anyway the grasstrackers look like they are pretty affordable used (around or under 100,000). If I’m short on cash a KTR-150 or HD-200 will do I guess.

Actually while I was looking at 'zooks on Ruten I found something else.

How cool is this?

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21009076651827

[quote=“PaddyB”]
Anyway the grasstrackers look like they are pretty affordable used (around or under 100,000). If I’m short on cash a KTR-150 or HD-200 will do I guess. [/quote]

Great choice, good luck with your search. Keep us posted.

SYM T1

goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21008041794084

It’s new, I’ve seen quite a few out on the roads and they look really cool, like a bigger bike.

To me, being new is worth a lot, especially in “what is preventative maintenance?” Taiwan.

I’m guessing 150cc to compete with the Kymco Quannon.

Get down to 7eleven and pick up a copy of “Bike catalogue 2011”. It’s just hit the shops, it has full colour photos of just about every bike under the sun. I like the look of the KTM Duke 125, but I bet it pulls like a duckling and costs about $411,000 when it arrives here in two years!

[quote=“jaame”]SYM T1

It’s new, I’ve seen quite a few out on the roads and they look really cool, like a bigger bike.

To me, being new is worth a lot, especially in “what is preventative maintenance?” Taiwan.

Get down to 7eleven and pick up a copy of “Bike catalogue 2011”. It’s just hit the shops, it has full colour photos of just about every bike under the sun. I like the look of the KTM Duke 125, but I bet it pulls like a duckling and costs about $411,000 when it arrives here in two years![/quote]

Yeah I’ve seen a few of those around. It definitely takes some styling cues from a few big bikes I can think of. Kind of looking to stay away from that riding position though and am hoping to find a 250 of some kind. Does anyone know if that Suzuki Djebel I posted above can be made road legal? That thing looks beast-and-a-half.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the Bike Catalogue though. I’ll have to cop one of those tomorrow and coerce my girl into reading some of the articles to me hahaha.

You need a BMW Funduro. or a Hayabusa. Fitted with a gas tank carrier.

The Hayabusa I can live without but yes, I absolutely need an F650. Badly.

I’m accepting paypal donations now! Email me if you are interested! :bow:

[quote=“PaddyB”][quote=“jaame”]SYM T1

Get down to 7eleven and pick up a copy of “Bike catalogue 2011”. It’s just hit the shops, it has full colour photos of just about every bike under the sun. I like the look of the KTM Duke 125, but I bet it pulls like a duckling and costs about $411,000 when it arrives here in two years![/quote]

Yeah I’ve seen a few of those around. It definitely takes some styling cues from a few big bikes I can think of. Kind of looking to stay away from that riding position though and am hoping to find a 250 of some kind. Does anyone know if that Suzuki Djebel I posted above can be made road legal? That thing looks beast-and-a-half.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the Bike Catalogue though. I’ll have to cop one of those tomorrow and coerce my girl into reading some of the articles to me hahaha.[/quote]

:thumbsup: Even SBL can’t be wrong all the time. (about the SYM T1, though he meant “ever”, I think)

Don’t think the Djebel can be made legal. There’s a shop in Kaoshiung with a lot of “off road” imported bikes, and I have seen a few around with plates, but I think they’re probably faking it too.

So what are the practical implications of that? :ponder:

Well, if you get stopped and they cotton on to your little game, your bike is history. Actually, it’s probably his property, but either way you’re left short a motor.

Hey 'dac or rk, why does the BMW F650 GS get such great gas mileage (even better than a Funduro, IIRC)? A buddy has a GS thumper, and get around 60 mpg. My DRZ400S struggles to get 50 mpg. The GS has EFI and is 50 kg heavier than the DRZ, and the zook has a carb. ???

I would wonder that myself, hmmmm. I don’t know. Could it be gearing? Maybe the DRZ is usually at a higher RPM range when driving normally. I really don’t know though.

In Thailand last week I saw a CBR250 in a glass box in a skytrain station. It looks like a Ninja 250 with bodywork from the new V4 VFR touring bike, the bergundy and silver one. Anyone seen one in the media? It could be a Thai only model.
I’ve got some pics of it which I may upload at some point if I suddenly learn how to do it and get a few unexpected days off work.

… bodywork from the VFR1200. Gag me. That slab-sided anti-design is beyond Honda vanilla, it’s straight from Thorazine.

[quote=“jaame”]In Thailand last week I saw a CBR250 in a glass box in a skytrain station. It looks like a Ninja 250 with bodywork from the new V4 VFR touring bike, the bergundy and silver one. Anyone seen one in the media? It could be a Thai only model.
I’ve got some pics of it which I may upload at some point if I suddenly learn how to do it and get a few unexpected days off work.[/quote]

These bike are actually out in the States, I have a friend that is looking to buy one. They look pretty nice.

Eh? Why would any normal-sized person buy a 250 street bike in the states?