What Movies Are You Watching? —2016—

:smiley:

Happy April 1st!
Happy long weekend!
TGIF!

BTW, any recomendations for something on the big screen? Panda 3 is out, BTW.

@Icon have you seen Zootopia yet? A nice one to check out.

Coming up next: The jungle book, civil war, x-men.

I saw Batman vs Superman. Ben Affleck did a great job as the Dark Knight.

Some of it was picked from the bones of “The Dark Knight Returns” by Frank Miller

The scene where Batman saves Superman’s mom was drawn from the the first book in the series: Busting through the wall, the same exact gun and the same phrase, “I believe you.” Only in the comic it’s his first reappearance after retiring and he’s saving a kidnapped child.

It was an enjoyable movie. It makes me want to get the animated version of “The Dark Knight Returns” and watch it.

• Tangerine; life in inner LA in West Hollywood, great cinematography (mostly about transvestites, but don’t let that distract)

• Anomalisa; stop motion, adult theme

Requiem for A Dream - You’ll think seriously about using mind-altering substances.

The funny thing is, this here actually makes more sense for why Superman and Batman would battle each other.

CINEMA PARADISO!!!

I love this movie. Inspired us to learn Italian.

They are playing a new version of Cinema Paradiso in several Taipei movie theaters. I recommend going to Ambassador Changchuan.

Who was it here that said THE INTERN was good. I rented it last night on Redbox (1.50 per 24 hours).
Good movie. Better then I thought it would be.

I saw it last night with the gf and I gotta agree on almost all your points, Icon.

[quote=“Icon”]
That said, I think Ben Affleck’s Batman was just right. Considering he’s been on the avenging/justice his way mission 20 years when Superman finally shows up, there is detail thrown in the background that made me jump giddy (aside from seing Papa Winchester playing Papa Wayne):[/quote]

I went into this movie with Christian Bale Batman still in my head, so all of the killing he does and other acts of brutality, were a little too much for me and I wasn’t too used to it. However, that’s not a bad thing. I’m curious, is he the first big screen Batman to use a gun to shoot someone? (ie end fight scene)

I’m curious about this as well, can anyone explain it?

The ending kind of explains this, doesn’t it?When Batman threatens him and disappears, he’s going psycho and talking about a “him”.

Her entrance as WW was the only time in the movie where I went, “f yes, let the good times roll”. I mean you expected someone else to come save the day, but
BOOM
, Gal Gadot to the rescue. You knew she was coming, but just didn’t know when. Speaking of Gal Gadot, I’m no expert on WW, but I think she did a great job portraying the role.

Anyone notice that the picture she was searching for in Luthor’s archives, the person standing to her left is Chris Pine?

The Batman comics are really dark. Few tidbits 'very summarized, but hope they whet your appetite to read more about the stuff:

1. The Red Mask: Jason, Robin´s replacement, is killed by the Joker in a brutal fashion. Batman, who arrives too late to the scene to save him, feels very guilty. But Jason is revived… and turns as a villian called The Red Mask

2. Batman has a son with an archenemy and he kills someone very close to him…

3. Injustice: Gods among us (game) Superman becomes a dictator after Lois is killed, Batman ralllies aginst him.
    There is a comic too about this storyline. Alfred saves the day.

So a lot of these things are weaved into this revival.

Lex is painted a bit too much like Loki, me thinks. ¨He is coming¨, the painting overtones… by that time in the movie you are still not quite convienced of what makes him tick. He´s all over the place. Moreover, if they are going to make him help a Mega Enemy 'which could be a couple of choices from teh comics enter, that would make the Marvel/DC universes storylines nearly parallel. That would be very boring.

As to the differences between DC/Marvel universes, bad enough I stayed over the credits for an extra scene that wasn´t there.

As to your observation about WW, dunno. That would be a major mess up in the canon/storyline. Let´s see.

[quote=“tommy525”]Who was it here that said THE INTERN was good. I rented it last night on Redbox (1.50 per 24 hours).
Good movie. Better then I thought it would be.[/quote]

That was me.

Did it make you want to pack your own bath robe whenever you traveled?

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“tommy525”]Who was it here that said THE INTERN was good. I rented it last night on Redbox (1.50 per 24 hours).
Good movie. Better then I thought it would be.[/quote]

That was me.

Did it make you want to pack your own bath robe whenever you traveled?[/quote]

Ah no. I do like the nice robes at 5 star hotels. Wish I could say i often stayed in them :neutral:

Thanks for the rec .

I saw The Revenant and thought it was bollocks. He spends much of the first half of the movie sleeping or crawling on frozen ground (not to mention his swim in the river :bluemad: ) without any ill effects. Then, just as I managed to forget about that stuff, he promptly rode his horse off a cliff in CGI - again, with no ill effects, except for the horse.

Maybe they can turn it into a superhero franchise called Antifreeze Man and make some sequels. :ponder: Then again I suppose that narrative might go against the old goat’s climate change sensibilities.

I saw the previews for the movie and thought to myself “I ain’t seeing that one” . Its a smash hit , if that means anything though.

[quote=“ranlee”]I saw it last night with the gf and I gotta agree on almost all your points, Icon.

[quote=“Icon”]
That said, I think Ben Affleck’s Batman was just right. Considering he’s been on the avenging/justice his way mission 20 years when Superman finally shows up, there is detail thrown in the background that made me jump giddy (aside from seing Papa Winchester playing Papa Wayne):[/quote]

I went into this movie with Christian Bale Batman still in my head, so all of the killing he does and other acts of brutality, were a little too much for me and I wasn’t too used to it. However, that’s not a bad thing. I’m curious, is he the first big screen Batman to use a gun to shoot someone? (ie end fight scene)

I’m curious about this as well, can anyone explain it?

The ending kind of explains this, doesn’t it?When Batman threatens him and disappears, he’s going psycho and talking about a “him”.

Her entrance as WW was the only time in the movie where I went, “f yes, let the good times roll”. I mean you expected someone else to come save the day, but
BOOM
, Gal Gadot to the rescue. You knew she was coming, but just didn’t know when. Speaking of Gal Gadot, I’m no expert on WW, but I think she did a great job portraying the role.

Anyone notice that the picture she was searching for in Luthor’s archives, the person standing to her left is Chris Pine?[/quote]

I like Ben Affleck as Batman but I’m not sure about the itchy trigger finger though, especially with deadly force.

Yeah - Chris Pine is going to be in the WW solo film, no?

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]I saw The Revenant and thought it was bollocks. He spends much of the first half of the movie sleeping or crawling on frozen ground (not to mention his swim in the river :bluemad: ) without any ill effects. Then, just as I managed to forget about that stuff, he promptly rode his horse off a cliff in CGI - again, with no ill effects, except for the horse.

Maybe they can turn it into a superhero franchise called Antifreeze Man and make some sequels. :ponder: Then again I suppose that narrative might go against the old goat’s climate change sensibilities.[/quote]
:laughing: It’s allegedly based on the real Hugh Glass’ true life story. I’m sure they took certain creative liberties though.

I completely forgot, but I also saw The Martian. One of the best performances I have seen from Matt Damon. (I haven’t seen Good Will Hunting…I know, shoot me)

It was a long movie, but just lots of a fun to watch. You just don’t get to see so many space adventures that are (somewhat) scientifically accurate and get that much of a laugh out of it.

Highly recommend if you guys haven’t seen it yet.

Yes, it piqued my interest enough to do some reading about the real Hugh Glass, of whom I knew nothing. His story is much more interesting than The Revenant’s plot. Someone should really turn it into a film one day! :laughing: Seems the bear attack took place on the Great Plains in late August, and he used this landmark - Thunder Butte - to navigate.

Our multiplexes have about 20 to 40 theaters inside (each seating between 100 to 200 people).

Its easy to watch more then one movie if you really wanted to. And can time the showings (and not worry about parking).

I rarely do , but sometimes.[/quote]

Before kids, we would often see back to back movies at the then Warner Village in Taipei. Fun.

Did you actually buy tickets for both showings or just snuck your way into the theater after the movie started?

I used to do that with friends back home in the states when we were young. Took the movie theater a few years to realize that people were spending entire afternoons watching multiple movies…for free.

How did they fix it? Nope, not assigned seating. Every theater had employees standing outside to check tickets.

[quote=“ranlee”]Did you actually buy tickets for both showings or just snuck your way into the theater after the movie started?

I used to do that with friends back home in the states when we were young. Took the movie theater a few years to realize that people were spending entire afternoons watching multiple movies…for free.

How did they fix it? Nope, not assigned seating. Every theater had employees standing outside to check tickets.[/quote]
Broke students movie hopping ftw!