What Movies Are You Watching —2018—

I did and it was so phony.

Because Call Me didn’t win big?

I think it was the part about High Priestess Oprah coming in to absolve the Hollywood flock of it’s sexual assault sins. It was kind of like a Catholic Mass for New Age atheists. I’m sure everybody felt a great weight lifted off their shoulders. :sunglasses:

Uh no? I knew CMBYN wasn’t going to win and frankly it’s not my favorite either.

I thought the opening monologue was crap and the #metoo movement was cringey af. It was pathetic and amusing to see how those privileged women in black gown cheered for James Franco, a sexual predator, Kirk Douglas, a rapist, and Gary Oldman, a domestic abuser, with their fake feminist talks which have gotten so redundant. The hypocrisy was nauseating.

The Greatest Showman is a frickin musical so be forewarned.

Started out frickin boring, ended up pretty fcuking good !

I watched Graffiti Bridge last night.

Oh hell, where to start. As a fan of Prince I’ve been avoiding watching it for the longest time. Everything I heard about it lead me to believe it’s terrible. Should have just gone with that. But I convinced myself that because I’m familiar with the music, it would somehow cushion the blow a bit. Got the courage up last night and popped the blu-ray in.

It really is garbage. There’s no other way to explain it. Prince wrote and directed it himself and I imagine he had absolutely zero outside help. I mean, just because of how bad the end product is.

I do give major props to whoever the cinematographer was. One of the saving graces was how beautifully it was shot despite the shoddy writing and direction. It was also fun to see a young Tevin Campbell running around, but he was under utilized. Mavis Staples and George Clinton show up too. All three are basically pointless additions to the movie as far as plot goes, but I’m a fan of all of them so I don’t mind so much.

I still enjoyed the music - Graffiti Bridge has some of Prince’s best songs (and a few “okay” ones) - but I don’t think anything could have saved this movie from being an overall hot mess.

I watched Brad’s Status with Ben Stiller yesterday. About a man’s midlife crisis.
It’s not really my kind of movie but I had the time.

Turned out to be a good interesting movie that makes you think.

I watched it on MOD. It was just the worst.

Yea, a lot of things on MOD are just the worst.

I watched Killing of a Sacred Deer last night. I’d heard good things, but ultimately I didn’t love it. I didn’t hate it or anything, and it has some gut wrenching moments that really do move you. You know, it gets points for being something a little different and having top notch acting but at the same time it’s not something that I’d ever bother revisiting.

It’s by the same guy who wrote and directed The Lobster. If that was your bag, you’d probably like this too.

Didn’t live to to the hype .

Yeah, not at all. Easy to say you would like this new one about as much.

A few people have mentioned Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri in this thread. Watched it last night and loved it. It’s crazy to think a movie that centers around a girl who was raped and murdered would make me smile so much. It was just fantastic, easily one of my “top 5” for 2017.

Damn I was totally caught off guard by “Call me by your name”. And dad’s speech too.

FWIW, Paddington 2 was as good, if not better than the original (when one has a young wife, one ends up seeing cartoons and what not).

I watched the final installment of the Resident Evil franchise on Sunday evening when it aired on HBO. I remember someone on here liked the flicks because it’s just so damn fun to watch zombies and monsters get wrecked by Milla Jovovich’s bare hands. A bit surprised they made 6 of these movies, but I’m not complaining.

Compared to the other installments, this one wasn’t my favorite. It was kind of predictable except for the twist that the real Alice…is actually a clone. I do like that they returned to The Hive, a good sense of nostalgia from the first movie.

Official Oscar Nominations 2018 (in alphabetical order)

Best Picture
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson - Phantom Thread
Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
Greta Gerwig - Lady Bird
Christopher Nolan - Dunkirk
Jordan Peele - Get Out

Best Actor
Timothée Chalamet - CMBYN
Daniel Day-Lewis - Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya - Get Out
Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington - Roman J. Israel Esq.

Best Actress
Sally Hawkins - The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand - Three Billboards
Margot Robbie - I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan - Lady Bird
Meryl Streep - The Post

Best Supporting Actor
Willem Dafoe - The Florida Project
Woody Harrelson - Three Billboards
Richard Jenkins - The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer - All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards

Best Supporting Actress
Mary J. Blige - Mudbound
Allison Janney - I, Tonya
Lesley Manville - Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf - Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer - The Shape of Water

Best Original Screenplay
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards

Best Adapted Screenplay
CMBYN
The Disaster Artist
Logan
Molly’s Game
Mudbound

Best Animated Feature
The Bossbaby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent

Best Foreign Language Film
A Fantastic Woman, Chile
The Insult, Lebanon
Loveless, Russia
On Body and Soul, Hungary
The Square, Sweden

Best Original Song
Mystery of Love from CMBYN
Remember Me from Coco
This Is Me from The Greatest Showman
Stand up for Something from Marshall
Mighty River from Mudbound

Holly Hunter was snubbed. Fuck this shitfest.

So which ones are worth watching?

Coco

I’ve been flying a bit lately so have caught a few movies I may not have otherwise seen.

A couple of “historical biography” movies that weren’t bad: Goodbye Christopher Robin and Professor Marston and the Wonder Women. Both were decent, but I think Goodbye Christopher Robin has the edge because - despite not knowing how historically accurate it is - I get the impression that the poor kid had to endure a whole lot of crap because of the books. It doesn’t hurt that the kid who plays Milne’s son is a very engaging little actor.

Along the same lines (“historical biography”), Netflix has a new movie called A Futile and Stupid Gesture about the creation of National Lampoon magazine and the movies Animal House and Caddyshack. This was pretty fun. I dug it and would recommend it.

I saw Geostorm against my better judgement. Actually, early promotion made it seem like a load of crap and it wasn’t quite that bad. It wasn’t a masterpiece but it really wasn’t a train wreck either.

Dunkirk was also playing. It was very good, naturally, but it doesn’t stand with the big boys when it comes to WWII cinema, I don’t think. But very good and visually beautiful.

The movie that disappointed me the most was Wonderstruck. It looked weird and wonderful but was just a predictable bore of a movie.

Also caught Murder On The Orient Express. It was fine, but not really a necessary movie or anything. Doesn’t make sense to make a mystery movie based on one of the most famous mystery stories of all time. Also, I just sat there thinking how much Kenneth Branagh must love Kenneth Branagh. Daisy Ridley is very cute though.

Also, while I was away I grabbed Blade Runner 2049 in 4K. Watched that yesterday, finally. I thought it was great. It doesn’t quite reach the heights of the first but they got the right tone, I think, and the story they came up with is interesting. It’s a long ass movie too, but it flew by. I do think they could have trimmed a fair bit off to make it a little shorter but I don’t mind getting more movie for my money.

Heads up: Black Panther coming to Taiwan theaters February 13th. :banana: