What movies are you watching? (2021)

you had me at

not that I’m back seat moderating!

1 Like

Oh, wait, that reminds me of the clothing chain Hot Topic! Do they have branches in Taiwan?

1 Like

Nope, a newer one, like last/this year.

close enough?

1 Like

Newer than not yet released, “Coming soon, available Mar 23, 2021”?!

EDIT: do these Criterion Blu-Ray box sets show up in Taipei stores, like the older Criterion stuff once did in eslite? If they did, I’d think more seriously about getting a Blu-Ray player, but when I look at add-on delivery charges for discs from overseas … oof, too expensive.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: What TV are you watching (2021)?

oh ok sorry

1 Like

If you are willing to deal with the Amazon devils, they have free shipping for all orders over 75 usd.

1 Like

Do it. Very unconventional the whole mix of “high” fantasy and anarchosyndicalist ideology. More so than in Perdido.

And who knows, with the “unfilmable” Preacher and The Boys having hit the screens, perhaps one day it is time for Mieville (never saw the BBC The City, but reviews were not great).

1 Like

Oh cool. I did not know that. Thanks! Argh, damn, now I’m going off-topic again …

Also, at least pre-pandemic (then things got messed up) getting blurays from Australia was pretty affordable. Great selection if your player can deal with the region.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve already got an in-retrospect-foolishly-large collection of DVDs from multiple regions, but my multi-region DVD player is near death and I’m not sure if getting a new one is still even possible - plus the DVDs don’t look that good anyway on a newer 55" TV!

The combination of obsolescence of my old DVD collection + region compatibility nonsense had me swear off buying physical media again - but argh, the film catalogue selection online, from streaming services or the iTunes Store, is awful.

Really I just want the Criterion Channel to stream here. Yeah, I know I could probably make it work with a VPN, but by the time the added cost and hassle are factored in, I don’t think it’s worth it to me.

1 Like

If you are more then averagely interested in film, the streaming culture won’t cut it. It is like having only fast food joints around and no proper restaurants.

Anything older than 10 years might as well not exist (apart from the most commercially successful). So for me blurays are essential. Also, luckily at least in Taipei there are some art house cinema options.

2 Likes

Just saw Monster Hunters on the big screen with the fam. For a video game rip off this wasn’t half bad, especially in the cinema.

1 Like

Well, they are giving a taste of the stuff in cinemas. I got the news from a Japanese fellow Takeshi fan, they are very excited about it.

As someone who relies on ehem, non conventional streaming and local cable, I do appreciate the crisp quality of blu ray or even decent DVD. You can’t appreciate details or colors or enjoy landscapes and scenes the proper way on a computer or -gasp- a cellphone. But what’s necessary is necessary if you at least wanna keep up with stuff that has not arrived in Taiwan yet. cough, Supernatural ending, Wanda vision, etc. cough cough

However, it saddens my heart as I would gladly pay for the good stuff.

1 Like

Why do Netflix and HBO Go provide such poor video quality. Could they not at least have HD since we pay for it ?
It’s annoying to have a big shiny screen but not high resolution content for it.

Don’t they? Usually when I watch Netflix it seems HD. Certainly better than DVDs; when I watch older non-HD content (e.g. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), there’s a giant drop in quality.

It seems like not up to HD quality for a lot of shows. I do have a big TV now, 58 inch.
When I rent movies from Google movies etc or when I deliberately look for HD on Youtube is the only time I feel it’s truly HD.

1 Like

I just chastised @Icon for not knowing that [a version of] Amazon Prime is available here … but, um, Google rentals?! (To the Google!)

1 Like

I watched Leaving Afghanistan recently, a Russian film about the last stages of their exit in 1989. Not entirely fact-based, but very atmospheric.

2 Likes