What movies are you watching? (2021)

Looks like the same animation style from ‘The Boondocks.’

The Kid Detective

I liked it. Fun then unexpected taking a huge turn towards the end, wow, maybe not exactly a kids movie, the background music is interesting.

Thanks for suggestion.

1 Like

maybe?!

Perhaps one of the most uneven anthologies I have ever seen, going from the brilliant (Zima Blue) to the utterly meh (Suckers of souls). At least there are some visually astonishing achievements, like the depiction of Hong Kong in The Witness.

1 Like

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Robert Downey jr. and Val Kilmer, light and funny, they make a good team.

2 Likes

Unbreakable

Sixth Sense

Back to back

On Prime.

Hail Prime!

I’ve heard great things about this. I’ll check it out soon.

IMDB shows a lot of movies and shows new and old with the same name.

1 Like

I’d put John Carpenter’s The Thing and The Exorcist up there as two of the best horror movies ever made. The only thing about The Thing (heh heh) that hasn’t aged well is the stop motion animation part near the end. They put SO much thought into some of the special effects used in that movie, and the script was first rate. Who knew that Wilford Brimley could do “evil” so well?

If I had to pick a #3 horror movie it would probably be Hereditary. Maybe the original French version of Martyrs.

I had a sweet fairly prim high-school girl student go to see “Little Miss Sunshine” just on the basis of the title. Led to a good discussion on the concept of irony.

That’s what I hate about animation. You’ll sometimes see astonishing art but the storytelling is in the gutter. Another example I can think of is MFKZ.

Watched Birds of Prey on the plane. Decent in style, story is ok as a time killer, though it’s dumber than the average action movie (Black Mask got Harley ready to be sliced, but hey she scribbled on her business card that she’s a hitwoman so he’ll send her on an errand even though he knows she’s a nutcase).

And of course, the feminist message is hammered down, though it loses all credibility when you realize the only nice man in the whole movie is the fat cook who makes breakfast sandwiches. Don’t be surprised if people keep pairing feminism and lesbian man-hating.

I tried to watch ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ because even though Mickey Rooney depicts the most racist caricature of an Asian since those WW2 Bugs Bunny shorts, everyone always talks about how charming and beautiful Audrey Hepburn was and I had never actually seen a film with her. So I thought I’d give it a shot and try to block the racist crap out. Long story short, there’s a lot of other problems in this relic besides Rooney’s WTF-were-they-thinking?? yellow face. The comedy style is so dated you’d need a vacuum cleaner to get all the dust off of it. Turned it off after half an hour. Also, Hepburn reminds me of an ostrich. Don’t get the big deal about her either.

2 Likes

Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, My Fair Lady…different strokes.

1 Like

I enjoy all these but like them much more when I have a full-on experience.

They are just much more engaging and come across well with a huge screen in the dark with good sound.

1 Like
3 Likes

She was not the most versatile actress out there, but she was faultless at what she did. Wait Until Dark, The Nun’s Story, Charade, Roman Holiday, and Robin and Marian are her best work.

one of my favourite films from the 60s

1 Like

How have I missed this movie? It’s now on the list.

1 Like