What movies are you watching? (2021)

Well, they are giving a taste of the stuff in cinemas. I got the news from a Japanese fellow Takeshi fan, they are very excited about it.

As someone who relies on ehem, non conventional streaming and local cable, I do appreciate the crisp quality of blu ray or even decent DVD. You can’t appreciate details or colors or enjoy landscapes and scenes the proper way on a computer or -gasp- a cellphone. But what’s necessary is necessary if you at least wanna keep up with stuff that has not arrived in Taiwan yet. cough, Supernatural ending, Wanda vision, etc. cough cough

However, it saddens my heart as I would gladly pay for the good stuff.

1 Like

Why do Netflix and HBO Go provide such poor video quality. Could they not at least have HD since we pay for it ?
It’s annoying to have a big shiny screen but not high resolution content for it.

Don’t they? Usually when I watch Netflix it seems HD. Certainly better than DVDs; when I watch older non-HD content (e.g. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), there’s a giant drop in quality.

It seems like not up to HD quality for a lot of shows. I do have a big TV now, 58 inch.
When I rent movies from Google movies etc or when I deliberately look for HD on Youtube is the only time I feel it’s truly HD.

1 Like

I just chastised @Icon for not knowing that [a version of] Amazon Prime is available here … but, um, Google rentals?! (To the Google!)

1 Like

I watched Leaving Afghanistan recently, a Russian film about the last stages of their exit in 1989. Not entirely fact-based, but very atmospheric.

2 Likes

Prime on my computer looks like the best viewing option for me for a while, I noticed they had a bunch of the ‘Mission:Impossible’ movies and my inner monologue stumbled with the plural. What say you, Formosans?

Plural for ‘Mission: Impossible’?
  • Mission: Impossibles
  • Missions: Impossible
  • Impossible Missions
  • I prefer James Bond

0 voters

1 Like

The Mule with Clint Eastwood is a pretty good movie. Now on prime. Worth watching.

2 Likes

Not on Prime in Taiwan, but it is on Netflix here.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Never been a big fan of the TV show or movie series. The fourth one was entertaining though, mostly for the very physical stunt work on the side of the Burj Khalifa (did I butcher the spelling?). But I couldn’t tell you a thing about the plot.

1 Like

A classic! I love ‘Seven Samurai’ even more though.

1 Like

The End Of The Tour

Wow, caught this in the cinema two years ago, surprised that anyone else would have seen it. The best film on the Soviet Vietnam, so many precise details (the fact that Putin & co hated it as opposed to the recent batch of feel-good Russian ww2 films says it all). And properly nasty war-is-hell action as well, those sound effects of people gasping for air are something else.

2 Likes

Upgrade on prime. Really fun movie.

Sound of Metal.

Nicely done.

This was an intense movie. Worth the watch.

1 Like

Netflix selection in Taiwan is way better than in Canada. Way, way better.

I’m watching the Thin Red Line. I’ve seen it before, one of my favourite war movies. Hauntingly beautiful, personal, the cast is incredible (everyone is in this movie). About island warfare in the Pacific theatre, so also timely.

3 Likes

One of the better movies I’ve seen during lockdown. Give this movie a try, the trailer looks trash but the story is well written. Well worth watching it. Really well done with a low budget.

2 Likes

Infinity Chamber has great review comments IMDB.