What movies are you watching in 2020?

I was at Sundance that year. Blew a lot of people away. A critic buddy of mine who was lodging with me told me he had nightmares about it.

From the recent movies Shazam! and Joker have many good reviews

Wonder Woman 2 is going to release on December 17 in Taiwan

2 Likes

:happyrunningaround:

Oh I don’t care if I have to wear an N95 and hazmat suit, I want to see this on the big screen. Yeah!

It is a special kind of bad, brilliant in a way. Have you tried Color out of Space?

I have it, but haven’t seen it yet.

Zappa, 2020

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - I liked John Candy in it, but everything else about it just felt really dated. Not really a big fan.

The Crying Game - This was fantastic until the last 20 minutes of soapy, melodramatic mess happened. The central performances were excellent though, esp. Miranda Richardson. Her Irish accent was astonishing.

The Sixth Sense - I somehow had never seen this. I thought it was extremely predictable and I actually made an effort to not spoil myself beforehand. I saw the famous twist coming from a thousand miles away. Toni Collette was perfection in it (as she usually is), though. Overall it was merely ok. The Others is 10 times better.

3 Likes

Howl about Allen Ginsberg’s most famous poem.

Amazing story, never seen a plot quite the same as this movie, with James Franco. Really makes you think.

That was a brilliant performance. She stole the movie.

1 Like

The best movie I saw this year was “Knives Out” (Wealthy mystery novelist Harlan Thrombey’s family attend his 85th birthday party at his Massachusetts mansion. The next morning, Harlan’s housekeeper Fran finds Harlan dead, with his throat slit. The police believe it was suicide, but an anonymous party pays private eye Benoit Blanc to investigate).
AND I LIKED IT VERY MUCH! I think its one of the best films in recent years, I advise it to everyone !!
I also really liked the Netflix series “Marianne”. It’s very creepy, I haven’t finished watching it yet, but I will definitely do it!
I also re-watched one of my favorite TV series - “Lie to Me”. Always trying to memorize techniques and bring people to the truth haha.

3 Likes

‘Knives Out’ was very good. Like a modern twist of an Agatha Christie novel (and the detective is a little reminiscent of Hercule Poirot).

1 Like

Knives Out is … adequate. There’s nothing fundamentally terrible about it, but there’s also nothing really special about it. I feel like it was such a critical juggernaut only because competent whodunit (e.g. Gosford Park, the original Death on the Nile) is rare these days.

2 Likes

Agreed, given the talent involved I was a bit underwhelmed. Still was worth a second watch, though!

1 Like

I watched Unhinged with Russell Crowe. Watchable and only 90min. Russell Crowe did a great job acting that carried the movie.

“The Other F Word” had been on my to-watch list for a while and I just found out it’s available for free with Amazon prime. Great documentary, touching, humane, honest, about punk rockers growing up and having to reconcile their inner punk teenager with their responsibilities as dads. With interviews of members of Pennywise, NOFX, Red Hot Chili Peppers and so on.

…now I’m having a midlife crisis and feel I wanna pop three kids myself.

It’s basically a summary of everything I played on my Discman when I was an angry teen in the late 90s. Pennywise… man, I haven’t thought about them in years.

1 Like

The Matrix

A great movie, oddly doesn’t seemed dated or old, with the advanced special effects for the time, some classic movie scenes.

Was on today on TV, on MOD channel 616 Warner TV HD.

Matrix Reloaded same channel 1pm tomorrow

1 Like

just re-watched all three on Netflix, totally agree

Charade (1963) - Most joyous film I’ve seen in a while. Hepburn’s charm is off the charts and her chemistry with Grant is palpable. The script is funny and witty, the fashion is stunning, and the twists are fun and surprisingly unpretentious. Everything about it just works. Love.

Kiss of the Spider Woman (1985) - Such a monumental, gripping, haunting, and unusual experience. It’s one of those films that reveals itself to be really about something else altogether as the story unfolds. Hurt and Julia were revolutionary. Esp. Hurt. Definitely one of the most deserved Oscar wins in the category.

10 Rillington Place (1971) - Attenborough and John Hurt were fantastic, but the rest of the film fell flat. I guess Richard Fleischer just isn’t my cup of tea. I didn’t love Compulsion (1959) for very similar reasons.

2 Likes

The Best Offer, 2013, about an art collector, great whodunit, with unexpected developments near end.

Accidentally saw a few minutes, so watched the whole movie. Much better story than expected.

3 Likes