What music are you listening to? (music edition)

High school jams, I think I performed track 9 at uni once

Rolling with this

Keeping it going

There’s a speech coming up, I think

Oh, I’m about six months late to this post. Just want to say that I saw Paco de Lucia play in person before he died. I sat close to the stage, and he did not “phone in” the performance, he was amazing. He was so intense and played so well that I was sweating from excitement. Good memory that inspired me to play guitar, and also schooled me to realize that I’ll never be as good as this guy.

He had a singer with him, and the experience was a lot like this (even though years or decades later):

1 Like

What a wonderful memory. Thank you so much for sharing. Sublime music indeed. Where was the venue if I may ask? Thank you kindly.

He played at Zellerbach hall in Berkeley. It’s on the U.C. Berkeley University campus. Very nice venue, not too big, seats 500 people if it’s full.

https://tinyurl.com/zellerbach

And this is the performance I attended, in 2007:

And I see that he did perform the same song that I posted in my video linked above! (With a different and very skilled singer.)

That local community (and S.F. Bay Area) has a lot of wealthy educated people so this place attracts great touring performers who might skip other towns. Or, they skip San Francisco and play Zellerbach Hall. Tends to be very “fine arts” oriented but occasionally they’ll have something unexpected. For example I looked at the schedule and said “Paco de Lucia? He’s still performing! I’m buying a ticket!”

1 Like

Yes I’m familiar with Cal. Rasputin Music on Telegraph Ave is a former stomping ground of mine. Great selection of music there.

1 Like

Holy FM shit

2 Likes
1 Like

I think I need to give this a good listen tomorrow

It sounds a bit naif and obviously outdated but still enjoyable.

That and the previous video made me reflect on this women doing things and women were not allowed to do things feminist discourse. For many years I wouldn’t have thought too much about she being a woman and doing something this cool. She did that, people thought it was cool, end of the story. Nowadays it’s more like “hey, I’m doing this as a woman because as a woman I’m oppressed and men don’t want me to do it but I’m a strong woman who overcomes oppression and my art is awesome but they don’t want you to know SO you have to come and awe”. Then few people go and see some artistic abortion about with intersectional feminism and leave the venue traumatized, except for the feminist who will say that she’s being ignored for being a woman in a men’s World and that this is just another proof of heteropatriarchy.

What I mean is… I wouldn’t be thinking of any of these things back in the day. Instead, I’d just think “this woman rocks! I’d like to be like her”. That’s all. But nowadays I can’t help thinking about these cultural fights, oppression, and so on.

1 Like

I think I liked this one better than the other two studio records I’ve listened so far.

I like this one.

I listened to that one this morning. I prefer the last one I posted.

I’ll check it out later.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve been bombarded like a cult on every damn social media every time I open something or look something with this damn artist what the f***.

How the hell do they think I’m interested and then bombard the s*** out of me what the f***?

Oh and by the way is she good?

1 Like