What new phone and laptop should I get? a question for the technologically enlightened

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]My boss says that they always have formatting issues when working between mac word processing software and windows. Although it’s academic papers so they usually use normal fonts.
I would LOVE to be able to access microsoft word but use the mac os, as was shown in that video. That would be awesome![/quote]Formatting might be an issue going from the iPad to Word; otherwise, no. And installing Windows on a Mac is probably easier than on a Windows machine.

I think you ought to just get a Mac, but if you’re not sure, try before you buy.

Word does have formatting issues, from Mac to Windows (and vice versa), regardless if the document uses the same fonts – from memory it’s the way each OS encodes fonts.

You can install Windows and have dual boot as previously described. It is fairly easy;

Have fun and let us know what you do.

See here for the answer to this. The “iPhone 4” on the top row of the table is the iPhone 4 8GB
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103419&start=70#p1377897

My :2cents:

1. Did the Chungwha guy mention anything about the 2thousand nt deposit you have to pay as a foreigner? They are quite adamant about that -can be fought, or can be given back afterwards, but probbaly they will want their atoga deposit. Keep this one in the calculations.

2. Do not be scared by conversions Mac-Windows. See it as a challenge. Look, you cannot be less techno-able than me, and I took that approach -you are not gonna beat me, piece of machinery at my service- with my smartphone. All that technobabble can become easier when a friend shows you what to do.

3. BTW, the hottest thing now are the ultrabooks, for their fast performance., solid hard disks, and portability with longer lasting batteries. Watch out for older models on sale -like these guys warned me about the Mac Pro models.

Have not experienced this myself, but this is, based on input from a few folks on this forum, apparently illegal. Can someone please post a chinese document stating this?

Yes, it is “illegal” in the sense that we are not supposed to be treted any differently, however, if you want a phone, it may be unavoidable. What you can do is ask for it back at a later date. Few have tried even to go around it, don’t know if they succeeded. I didn’t. And I had help, and did not go to the one in Xinyi where they are usually stricter towards foreigners.

thanks for all the advice, I’ll be referring back to this thread often while I go through my decision making process.
I’m thinking I might go for a plan where I basically pay for the first year (two) up front, hopefully that’ll get me around the foreigner tax.
Just thought of another factor- Asus has a repair center located right by the Yilan train station, very convenient for me. Anybody happen to know if there’s an apple fix-it center in Yilan county? Hate to treck all the way to Taipei if something goes wrong. But then again, if I happen to move away from Taiwan in the next year or so, apple might have a better world-wide presence.
Based on people’s experiences here, what brand has the best service/ability to fix without having to wait? ASus has been pretty great on that front (except for the fact I’ve only had the computer for a year or so and had to go in a couple times!)
I want to go for the iphone/mac air combo with windows installed (that video was GREAT by the way, thank you) but service center location might be a deciding factor.

On the newer all-solid state machines, there’s actually very little that could go wrong if you don’t actually drop the machine or soak it in a bath or something.

That said, a trip to service center happens zero to once in the life of the machine with the distribution heavily leaned towards zero. Twice if you got an absolute lemon.

I wouldn’t let something that happens with such infrequency to determine the quality of the experience you will have with a tool that you will use every single day.

If the touchscreen part is very important an Asus Transformer Prime could be something for you.

I ended up with a Galaxy SII and a macbook Air :smiley: Why didn’t I go all Apple or All non-apple? God only knows- I did my research, narrowed it down, tried all the devices, and this was the combination I liked best. Damn that air is a sexy machine!!! And the Samsung is great, have to wait till Tuesday to get 3G on it so I haven’t used it to it’s full extent. Can’t wait!
I’m happy with my purchases- and so glad the decision making part is over and the enjoying part has begun!
By the way, those super helpful kids at the mac store hooked me up with all kinds of pirated software- including word for mac. Hopefully it won’t have formatting issues, if so, I will be using those videos to install windows.
Thanks for everything! :bow:

If you have the money, go with the MacBook Pro and iPhone.

Dirt cheapest options (which are still great) are the refurbished MBP’s that can sell for up to 20% off.

BTW, there is absolutely no reason to have Windows on your MBP. I have Microsft Office Suite on mine and as a college student who had to hand in papers and bullshit and pray the formatting worked on my prfoessor’s comps and the school’s, absolutely no probelm.

I agree, if you can afford it the apple products are just a bit better made. Android is NOT as good as iphone for most users, nor are most android fones as well made.

My huawei android freezes up every now and then, wont let me answer calls, etc. But its still a great 100 dollar fone tho. Sure the iphone at some 400 dollars will be a better fone, but i didnt want to /need to spend 400 on a fone (or really could without feelin the pinch).

computers tho, apples work a bit differently. IM used to PC. And honestly my netbook bought nearly 3 years ago and used for hours and hours everyday is still humming along perfectly without issues. 400 bucks it was then, now bout 250.

versus how much for the macbook?

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I ended up with a Galaxy SII and a macbook Air :smiley: Why didn’t I go all Apple or All non-apple? God only knows- I did my research, narrowed it down, tried all the devices, and this was the combination I liked best. Damn that air is a sexy machine!!! And the Samsung is great, have to wait till Tuesday to get 3G on it so I haven’t used it to it’s full extent. Can’t wait!
I’m happy with my purchases- and so glad the decision making part is over and the enjoying part has begun!
By the way, those super helpful kids at the mac store hooked me up with all kinds of pirated software- including word for mac. Hopefully it won’t have formatting issues, if so, I will be using those videos to install windows.
Thanks for everything! :bow:[/quote]

Congratulations! May your devices live long and prosper.

Aside from software, hardware wise did you made any changes? Add more memory, etc?

[quote=“tommy525”]I agree, if you can afford it the apple products are just a bit better made. Android is NOT as good as iphone for most users, nor are most android phones as well made.

My huawei android freezes up every now and then, wont let me answer calls, etc. But its still a great 100 dollar phone tho. Sure the iphone at some 400 dollars will be a better phone, but i didnt want to /need to spend 400 on a phone (or really could without feelin the pinch).

computers tho, apples work a bit differently. IM used to PC. And honestly my netbook bought nearly 3 years ago and used for hours and hours everyday is still humming along perfectly without issues. 400 bucks it was then, now bout 250.

versus how much for the macbook?[/quote]

Tommy, please do not use the Huawei Android as representative or average of the Android smartphones. They have only 1 or 2 models, started into this android phone business only in the last year or so (I know some folks in their mobile division), and they are targeting low end market (you already concede a 100$ phone is not comparable to 400$ phone).

At least talk about HTC or Samsung or even the Google phone.

I had some bad experience with Apple products (back a few years), I would highly advise you to get the extended Applecare for any products you buy from them.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I ended up with a Galaxy SII and a macbook Air :smiley: Why didn’t I go all Apple or All non-apple? God only knows- I did my research, narrowed it down, tried all the devices, and this was the combination I liked best. Damn that air is a sexy machine!!! And the Samsung is great, have to wait till Tuesday to get 3G on it so I haven’t used it to it’s full extent. Can’t wait!

Aside from software, hardware wise did you made any changes? Add more memory, etc?[/quote]
Thanks! Loving them so far!
I got the 11 inch, 64 gigs. Don’t think I need more memory as I’ll use external storage, so I just went with the basics.
Loving it so far! Having some fun with imovie haha

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I ended up with a Galaxy SII and a macbook Air :smiley: Why didn’t I go all Apple or All non-apple? God only knows- I did my research, narrowed it down, tried all the devices, and this was the combination I liked best. Damn that air is a sexy machine!!! And the Samsung is great, have to wait till Tuesday to get 3G on it so I haven’t used it to it’s full extent. Can’t wait!

Aside from software, hardware wise did you made any changes? Add more memory, etc?[/quote]
I got the 11 inch, 64 gigs. Don’t think I need more memory as I’ll use external storage, so I just went with the basics.
Loving it so far! Having some fun with imovie haha[/quote]

11 inches is very big

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]I ended up with a Galaxy SII and a macbook Air :smiley: Why didn’t I go all Apple or All non-apple? God only knows- I did my research, narrowed it down, tried all the devices, and this was the combination I liked best. Damn that air is a sexy machine!!! And the Samsung is great, have to wait till Tuesday to get 3G on it so I haven’t used it to it’s full extent. Can’t wait!

Loving it so far! Having some fun with imovie haha[/quote]

Another happy convert…