What next, after Taiwan? - Part 2

[quote=“Durins Bane”]saw another thread about “escaping” from Taiwan (like Taiwan was some sort of prison or something weird like that) and I thought it was about time I updated this thread.

[/quote]

:blush: Was that my thread? The intended ‘escape’ was from my career impasse, rather than Taiwan. Sorry if I came across as a wierdy Taiwan-hater…

What’s next?
My wife and I are going to the US or The UK in 2007. She doesn’t like the US very much, and has some possible job connections in the UK. I can go back to my real work in either place, so I’m not complaining, in fact, I’m really looking forward to the change.

Kudos to posters who moved their families away from Taiwan. I don’t have responsibilities like a spouse, kids, mortgage, education, etc. so my move was easy breezy.

As a matter of fact, come to think of it, I have nothing of value or pointers/suggestions to give to anyone who’s moving out of Taiwan. I shouldn’t even be posting in this thread…

Since I left Taiwan 2.5 months ago I’ve been doing SFA in Vancouver, with a SFA few days in DC:

-eating good food, you name it, I’ve had it. Twice, prolly
-riding my beater-upper bike and ruvin’ it
-shopping. I’ve purchased a good month’s salary worth of clothing, but I think of it as investment. Really!
-getting quality sleep. Nine, 10 hours a night, no prob.
-wearing t-shirts in really really cold weather (10 C is pretty cold to me) to make up for all the heat and humidity I endured in Taiwan – don’t ask, it’s psychological
-watching horrible reality TV shows…Wife Swap, Dancing with the Stars, Xtreme Makeover, etc., and some of my faves like Judge Judy, BCTV news, etc.

I’ve looked into volunteer work, but I don’t have a car everyday, so I can’t find anything suitable in my area within walking or riding distance. Finally last week I sent in my resume to a temp agency after being quite bored for the past 2.5 months. The interview went well and I’ll be working soon, as long as the companies are withing walking or biking distance, or if I feel like bussing it.

Oh wait, I DO have something useful to add. When you return to your country, remember to reapply for your health insurance right away. In BC Canada there’s a three month waiting period. Stupid, really, because when you cancel your health insurance it’s cancelled at the end of the month that you leave. Using their three-month logic I’d think they cancel it three months AFTER you leave. But that’s Beautiful British Columbia for you, eh?

That is fantastic! :bravo:

[quote=“914”]

Oh wait, I DO have something useful to add. When you return to your country, remember to reapply for your health insurance right away. In BC Canada there’s a three month waiting period. Stupid, really, because when you cancel your health insurance it’s cancelled at the end of the month that you leave. Using their three-month logic I’d think they cancel it three months AFTER you leave. But that’s Beautiful British Columbia for you, eh?[/quote]

Good advice, but my experience in the States,it’s not as simple (and I wish as logical) as Canada. In order to get benifits in the States, one has to be working full time with a company for 3 months. I was just talking to my cousin the other day, who needs them. The company made her an offer to go from her temp position to perm, but then on Monday, dropped the bomb that the company was being bought out. So, it would be back to square one or purchase her own, which she can’t afford. I’ve also tried purchasing my own, but because of a near fatal accident over 10 years ago, suddenly I’m risk. :loco: How are people suppose to work and full the economy if they can’t take care of themselves, is what I would like to say to Congress. :fume:

I’ve been back in SA since the begining of August. It’s been quite a transition from the big, busy, polluted, cramped mess of Kaohsiung to the small, picturesque, clean, leafy suburbs of Pietermaritzburg (aka Sleepy Hollow), and I’ve definitely had a bit of reverse culture shock along the way, after having lived in Taiwan for two and a half years or so.

I came back here because I’d had enough of teaching English, as well as the fact that I need to get my masters degree, and just missed my old mates. Just a few differences between here and where I was in Taiwan, for anyone who’s interested:

FOOD: One thing I DO NOT miss about Taiwan is the food. I’m loving it here… sooooo many tasty things to eat, pretty cheap too. Far, far more vegetarian options than Taiwan. And the Indian food… damn. And pizza… And veggie burgers… And actually being able to walk into a store and having a massive array of fruit juices to choose from, instead of a massive array of weird teas. I do miss that Vitali (wei-ta-li) stuff though. I won’t even begin to describe how aweome it is to have salt n’ vinegar crisps in about 10 different brands. :uhhuh:

TRAFFIC: It’s very weird to see people actually obeying traffic rules and respecting each other on the roads (to an extent), aside from douchebags in BMWs, SUVs and Mercs (they’re the same everywhere, aren’t they). But I’ve got a nice bike so they rarely have the opportunity to sit on my arse flashing their lights at me, as they’re usually fast-disappearing specs in my rear view mirrors :sunglasses: It’s also quite odd not to see, you know, a few million scooters every day, although interestingly enough, scooters are becoming very popular over here, with our insane gas prices.

PEOPLE: While I can’t say I miss ignorant betel nut chewers and tai ke scooter punks, I’m definitely missing the vibes of the expat community in Taiwan. Here, people all generally seem to be cut from the same mould.I’ve got a few really good friends here, you know, the guys you grew up with and have had all sorts of experiences with. However, a lot of guys I knew have just seemed to have gotten old (beyond their actual years) and lost touch with their youth. Maybe I’m still too much of a kid, but spending your life paying off that flashy new car, a home in the suburbs and playing golf every weekend seems like a waste of a life. People here just don’t seem to realise, or care, that there’s a huge world out there, full of infinite possibilities and opportunities. There just seem to be so many people who are absolutely content with living out the suburban dream. It’s not for me though, not now…

Then, there’s the poor. And beggars. And the homeless, and street kids. All of which are in stark, glaring contrast to the rich in their expensive shopping malls, luxury vehicles and mansions on the hill. You won’t see such a clash of first and third world lives in too many other countries on this planet.

CRIME: With the massive, and increasing gap between rich and poor in this country, comes the inevitable scourge of crime. Yes, whilst there is loads of corruption, swindling and greed in Taiwan, at least you’re not likely to get stabbed to death in the street for a few coins in your pocket. Poverty, the brutality of apartheid, combined with cultural imports such as the “gangsta style”, “thug life” and “hip-hop bling bling” crap from overseas has created a culture of violence, get-conspicuously-rich-by-whatever-means-necessary here.
This, combined with an ineffectual, understaffed and underpaid police force means that we have one of the highest crime rates in the world… It doesn’t help that our useless government refuses to do anything about the problem, and that our safety and security minister suggested that people who complain about crime should leave the country.

I really miss being able to walk around the city and not constantly be on the lookout against being attacked. I remember a while back there was that debate about “violence against foreigners” here, but honestly, I’ve never felt as safe as I did in Taiwan. The callousness and nonchalance with which criminals here maim, assault, torture, rape and kill here is absolutely insane. :fume: :fume: :fume: Sure, in Taiwan, someone might come at you with a baseball bat if you flip them the bird, but nobody is going to come into your house, torture you whilst raping the female members of your family, and then murder your children. Just for kicks.

But, enough about that.

Because at least animals get treated with some degree of respect here. No more street dogs, no more dogs crammed into tiny steel cages for their whole lives, no ragged street cats. That was, by far, the worst thing about Taiwan for me. Here’s a big, big salute to bobepine and stray dog and guys like that who dedicate so much of their time towards helping the poor animals of Taiwan. :bravo: You guys are my heroes.

WEATHER: The humidity…the humidity… No more of that over here, thank god! Nice, dry air, although a bit too much rain for my liking. And clear blue skies… no pollution haze! And stars at night, lots and lots of 'em. And open land, and trees, lots of trees and flowers. And living in a house with a garden, waking up to birdsong every morning. Very cool.

EXPENSE: Not cool. Property rent is very expensive, as is medical care, insurance, etc etc. Almost everything here is a lot more expensive than it is in Taiwan. Except beer, which is cheap. :beer:
In fact, going out and having a good time at night is a LOT cheaper here than it is in Taiwan. And I can actually go to clubs and hear rock music, instead of hip-hop.

Well, enough rambling, I’m sure most people will have skipped this post after reading the first two or three sentences.

So, to answer the question, “what next after Taiwan?” Well… There’s the masters degree, which I must get, but after that, I’m outta here. Maybe I’ll go back to Taiwan, maybe somewhere else, but I do know that after having done the whole work/travel overseas thing, I’ve got a strong taste for it, and an urge to see and experience a lot more of the world.

One thing’s for sure though… for all its faults and shortcomings, I miss Taiwan!

That seems to be a familiar refrain.

Good luck with school.

You can never be “too much of a kid.”

Against popular belief that 8 hours is best, more is “better”…

[quote=“UCSD Health Sciences Communications HealthBeat”]Sleep less, live longer?

Increased Death Rate Associated
With Sleeping 8 Hours or More

Although it’s a common belief that 8 hours of sleep is required for optimal health, a six-year study of more than one million adults ages 30 to 102 has shown that people who get only 6 to 7 hours a night have a lower death rate. Individuals who sleep 8 hours or more, or less than 4 hours a night, were shown to have a significantly increased death rate compared to those who averaged 6 to 7 hours.[/quote]

OK, as you were.

I agree! :notworthy: Will definitely be volunteering or donating when Im in Taiwan :slight_smile:

Good post trapjaw, have you tried Thailand, Korea or Japan before? Can see myself retiring in Thailand somehow… :wink:

Trapjaw, we come from the came country. I left Taiwan in January of this year, after three hectic years on the island.

Got home, and experienced everything you described. Even made a whole new group of mates, aside from reuniting with my other mates.

Loved the food, the blue skies, the sense of space, speaking English to anybody and everybody, driving my car about.

Hated that petrol prices went up every second week, and HATED the barb wire and electric fencing everywhere.

So, I got on my donkey again, and here I am in China. To be honest, I might be going back to Taiwan next year, but in the back of my mind I wonder if it would be taking a step back. If I would be better off seeing other parts of the world…

WHy not stay in China? Thats where the action is now from a business viewpoint.

Whatever worked in Taiwan 15 years ago, works in China now. Do you dislike it there?

Good luck with school.[/quote]

I have been too busy to miss Taiwan, but if I had more free time I imagine I would miss it also. Taiwan is a great place and it never leaves you no matter where you go and what you do.

I was so jaded in Taiwan. Life was good but it made me complacent. Always had money in my pocket and a drink in my hand. Can someone please tell me why I gave that up? :laughing:

Moving back to the US hasn’t been easy…worries about money and job security and the such…but it has infused a new energy in my life.

I have dropped close to $75,000USD on everything since moving back (granted, most of that is updating an old house…so part of it is an investment…the next project is this f@@king kitchen. :frowning: ) But teachers don’t make much money here. Again, don’t underestimate how much you will need, especially if you have a family.

I have found that if you have a Taiwanese spouse then you need to make sure that he/she/it is busy and happy…especially if you go from a big city to a small town. That is my biggest concern. Mrs. Bane can start substituting but I need to make sure her non-family emotional needs are met.

Hope this helps.

[quote]WHy not stay in China? Thats where the action is now from a business viewpoint.

Whatever worked in Taiwan 15 years ago, works in China now. Do you dislike it there?[/quote]

Everything that is disagreeable and unpleasant about Taiwan is a lot worse here - parochial attitudes, traffic, pollution, etc.

Everything that is good about Taiwan is damn hard to find here.

Keep in mind I’m not talking about the big cities here, like Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, etc. But the city I’m living in feels like it’s a good 10 - 20 years behind Taiwan.

Maybe I’m just not quite cut out for China…

[quote=“Tigerman”]

Thanks man, it’s gonna be quite a shock to the system getting back into academia.

[quote=“Pubba”]
trapjaw, have you tried Thailand, Korea or Japan before? [/quote]

No, Taiwan was actually the first time I’d ever been overseas anywhere, let alone been on a plane. I was fresh outta university, left pretty much as soon as I’d graduated. I definitely want to try Thailand and Japan, although I haven’t heard too many good things about Korea. I’m also very keen to try teaching English in South America somewhere. Has anyone here done that in any South American country? Just wondering where the best places to teach are over there.

[quote=“Baas Babbelaas”]
Everything that is disagreeable and unpleasant about Taiwan is a lot worse here - parochial attitudes, traffic, pollution, etc.

Everything that is good about Taiwan is damn hard to find here. [/quote]

That’s what I’ve heard about China. A guy I know here who imports stuff from there went there on a business trip, and basically described it as the ugliest, filthiest place on earth, and that he’d pay to never have to go there again. On the other hand, I do know a South African there who went there and loved it. Still, the fact that it seems to be one of the cruellest societies in the world with regard to animals puts me off wanting to go there.

I have been too busy to miss Taiwan, but if I had more free time I imagine I would miss it also. Taiwan is a great place and it never leaves you no matter where you go and what you do.

I was so jaded in Taiwan. Life was good but it made me complacent. Always had money in my pocket and a drink in my hand. Can someone please tell me why I gave that up? :laughing:

Moving back to the US hasn’t been easy…worries about money and job security and the such…but it has infused a new energy in my life.

I have dropped close to $75,000USD on everything since moving back (granted, most of that is updating an old house…so part of it is an investment…the next project is this f@@king kitchen. :frowning: ) But teachers don’t make much money here. Again, don’t underestimate how much you will need, especially if you have a family.

I have found that if you have a Taiwanese spouse then you need to make sure that he/she/it is busy and happy…especially if you go from a big city to a small town. That is my biggest concern. Mrs. Bane can start substituting but I need to make sure her non-family emotional needs are met.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Durins Bane,

Gonna be in the bay area right after CNY…Get your blender ready.

MJB

Your SA mate is one of the lucky ones - either he’s found himself somewhere nice OR he has a disposition capable of dealing with overwhelming grime and others’ greed.

Example: this morning, at 3.30am, some building rubble removal guys arrive to take away some shit left outside a new shop below my apartment - top of their voices, arguing and crashing about till about 5.30, no consideration for the 1000+ people living in the buildings above. Bottom line here: NO CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS.

Believe me, this place is an assault on your soul. I’m aiming to make my escape in CNY, if I don’t completely lose my marbles before then…

EDIT: back on topic - so, my next step was this joint, thinking I’d get the ‘super-real-China-deal’. Bollocks to that, maybe in another 10 or 15 years.

[quote=“MJB”]

Durins Bane,

Gonna be in the bay area right after CNY…Get your blender ready.

MJB[/quote]

I have it gassed up and ready to go!

Update.

Been an interesting year here. I have been thouroughly harassed at work (I guess my little rat-faced turd sucking principal was intimidated by my stunning good looks and sparkling personality).

I am glad I moved back because my kids are really doing well and my mom needs me around the farm because my dad passed away last month. I almost feel that the mystic forces that play me like a puppet sent me back to the States because my dad’s time was so short.

Mrs Bane is doing very well. She has been asked to manage a Chinese restaurant.

That’s about it.

I glad you are all doing so well DB, and very saddened to hear about your dad.

When will you enter the UFC?

A little over a year out of Taiwan now. I’ve been amazed at how fast my health improved out of Taiwan. I’ve gone from 54kg to about 80kg (as a direct result of getting the wrong diabetes medication in Taiwan). The downside is that none of my pants fit me and I’ve had to buy more. I do miss the lifestyle in Taiwan with big city life and all the variety and convenience. But, I can’t forget that because all of that has dropped away my wife has become a fantastic cook (as per blog link in my sig.). My wife has done a great job at making new friends, although I kinda gave up catching up with my “old life” friends to help her do that. We moved to other side of the city to a high Chinese / Taiwanese populated area and got involved with the Taiwanese groups there. I guess that has put me further away from those friends that I had before. That’s kind of not important though as my wife is now the loudest voice for NOT moving back to Taiwan. I still get a twinge or two to move back.

My eldest son is doing really well at school and appears to enjoy it very much. It’s nice that he doesn’t have the pressure that he would have in Taiwan. Although he is going to need some Chinese classes though. No. 2 son (2 years old) is picking up Chinese and English at the same pace and is proving to be a great little language experiement.

Work wise - struggling a little without some of the challenges that I had in Taiwan and find myself looking for opportunities to move on from my work in Telecomummications. The hardest thing for me is not being the guy calling the shots. But I’ve learnt to deal with that and have had a successful year and learnt heaps.

My Chinese has started to suffer. I still speak Chinese a lot at home, but as it is no longer a part of my daily work life I find that I make a choice in favor of English whereever possible. I still get messed up from time to time talking with my wife in a store and then turn to the shop attendant and start speaking Chinese … I catch myself and then fix it up. My eldest doesn’t like having his “secret” language though and feels really embarrassed by his mother tongue.

It feels to me like a whole new life in NZ and a whole new version of our family. I really miss Taiwan though, especially the weather, it’s @#$@% freezing here.