What other countries have you taught in?

What other countries / areas have you taught in? (other than Taiwan and your own)

• Japan
  • Korea
  • China
  • Thailand
  • Indochina
  • Central/South Amercia
  • Middle East
  • Europe

0 voters

I taught in Guilin, southern China & Beijing and then Japan and Taiwan.

I have no desire to do it again but it was a truly great experience.

www.babashouse.com

Korea.

New Zealand, Mongolia, and England.

Nepal

None, thank God.

I second that! :wink:

I taught at a little university up in the mountains in Sichuan for a year - really interesting, but difficult: I wonder if I would even survive it now. I also taught in South Korea, and my advice is don’t go there.

Other than in my home country, I’ve taught in Wuhan, China, which at the time had a population of some 6 million people – less than 400 of whom were foreigners. I liked most of my students but disliked most of the administrators I came into contact with.

I taught in Guilin in 1997 when I think the foreign population was about 10. If there were more they kept a very low profile.

http://www.babashouse.com

Why does the poll include EU and not US? :s

Are you trying to provoke Fred? :slight_smile:

Incidentally, you also omitted Africa and Antarctica.

I felt fairly sure nobody had taught in those places. I’m reasonably sure it would have been brought to my attention if somebody had.

I put Europe because of the large amount of countries that don’t speak English as a first language.

The question was ‘where have you taught other than Taiwan and your own (country)’ which would have prevented Americans from ticking the U.S. box anyway. I don’t think there are many other native speakers venturing to the U.S. in the hope of starting an ESL career, although I could be wrong.

I thought about putting an ‘other’ box, but forgot.

I taught at three places in Beijing: the Geophysics Research Institute, the Capital Iron & Steel Company and I forget which hotel at Jianguomen - I think it was the Chang Fu Gong.

Other places I considered going to teach were Italy, Turkey and South Kurdistan (i.e. northern Iraq - Mosul and Kirkuk) - but I ended up here instead.

[quote=“holmes5668”]I felt fairly sure nobody had taught in those places. I’m reasonably sure it would have been brought to my attention if somebody had.

I put Europe because of the large amount of countries that don’t speak English as a first language.

The question was ‘where have you taught other than Taiwan and your own (country)’ which would have prevented Americans from ticking the U.S. box anyway. I don’t think there are many other native speakers venturing to the U.S. in the hope of starting an ESL career, although I could be wrong.

I thought about putting an ‘other’ box, but forgot.[/quote]

Just as a side note. ESL teaching is very much happening in the USA. In most of the larger cities there a numerous ESL classes for recent and not so recent immgrants. Its big business in the USA; enough so to attract the attention of most state legislation to create quality standards and business ethics laws governing this industry.

Just some info. I am not nor have I ever been an ESL teacher.

:thumbsup: yup, yup. esl is HOT in the states. 1-800-ENGLISH :America:
i also work with an irish man who formerly taught in japan.

At least two Forumosans have taught in Africa.
And I thought I once taught a leopard seal in Antartica how to change its spots, but it turns out it was just a dream.

Judging by the number of South African English teachers I’ve run into here in Taiwan I’m pretty sure some of them are forumosans too, and maybe some of those again have taught ESL back home, or was it ASL?? :ponder:

Sorry, maybe I should add: I’m not a teacher, but I have taught in mainland China before, about 16years ago, but not English … does that count??

I taught in Columbia for a bit a number of years back. Great experience and I loved the place.

Well other than Taiwan and my own country, I taught in Mainland China during the summer of '03. Shenzhen, to be specific. :sunglasses: