What percentage of the population should be vaccinated and why

I have been jabbed.

Should my ten year old kid get jabbed and why?

They mutate. We need mandated vaccinations from the mods to stop such mutations occuring. Topics before vaccinations also mutated, but for some reason didn’t become more deadly.

3 Likes

Considering the Taiwan CDC includes all deaths, regardless of the actual cause of death among people who have tested for COVID, including those who have died of COVID, but for which there is no clinical evidence that they died of COVID.

I’d say a big, fat, ZERO.

0%

Have the vaccines been evaluate in kids that young? But to your point, when I checked the other day, 300 or so kids in Texas were currently hospitalized with Covid. RSV is also ramping up.

Also, if the kids visit people who are more at risk, vaccinating the kids provides another level of protection even if the ones at higher risk are already vaccinated. Assuming the vaccine lowers transmission rates.

That’s one guess then for ‘nobody would be dying of Covid’ if there were no vaccinations, masks, and quarantines in Taiwan.

It doesn’t with Delta.

So far it appears to be that or 100 percent, although mostly without reasons. I should have run a poll.

I’m yet to be convinced that my 20-30 percent figure is wrong, for the reasons I provided.

That’s a very good question and one I don’t have an answer for.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

The U.S. CDC recommends everyone 12 and older get vaccinated. My guess is it will take 90+% and wearing masks to get Covid reliably under control and allow a resumption of normal life without the need for quarantines and other disruptions to normal life such as travel restrictions.

What should be done is each government should set up a website and allow its population to register whether they would get vaccinated when doses became available. The government would then announce that once this registered percentage was achieved all restrictions other than masks would be lifted as those restrictions would achieve little from that point on unless they were made long term.

She wants the vaccination, so I’m OK with it. It will take a while for Taiwan to obtain enough vaccinations to waste them on children, but vaccinating students is in the pipeline.

I would feel very guilty if she suffered side effects from a vaccine, but the odds probably aren’t much higher than a child her age dying from the virus itself. We know that a child her age has a two in a million chance of dying from Covid, the odds of a child dying from the vaccine aren’t being measured

1 Like

Car accidents have a high death rate. So does obesity, strokes and diabetes. Little has ever been done about that. Now all of a sudden government cares if people die ?

2 Likes

In the US, lots of things have been done about both. Car safety standards, traffic systems, impaired driving and other laws… To name a couple specific examples, the entire stretch of road where I used to work is being widened for safety reasons. An offramp was redone after a family was killed when traffic backed up to the freeway.

Food labeling, calorie labels at restaurants, food pyramids and public health advisories, taking out vending machines in schools, limits on soda sizes in some regions. Arguably not enough on either front, and some efforts are likely misguided on the obesity front, but there is not a complete lack of effort.

5 Likes

I’d rather the powers that be do free antibody tests and pay-for-the-paranoids vaccines. If there was a price on vaccines, people’s critical thinking skills would be used more.

1 Like

This seem to be a common sentiment, that people who draw different conclusions from incomplete data are not using critical thinking skills. Anyway, sure, there’s moral hazard inherent in programs that provide free services at the cost of taxpayer dollars. But putting a price on vaccines would have the effect of excluding people who can’t afford it. How would putting a price on the vaccine sway behaviors of people who can easily afford it?

Front a clinical practice standpoint, or for a given individual, I don’t think that antibody tests have much value.

100%

If we choose a number that can be achieved, what would life be like if we couldn’t talk about COVID vaccines for the next 30 years?

In my case, out of all of my family and friends, I know of 1 possible death from Covid. Almost all of my immediate family members were either in close proximity for an extended period of time to someone who was infected or had Covid; they all came out without it being more than a nuisance.

2 Likes

I believe, even in the U.S., there are programs for low income families to have access to healthcare services.

People might be less resistant to getting vaccines if it wasn’t forced on them. Because, humans.

If I found out I have antibodies because I’ve already been exposed, my decision to get or not get a mandated, experimental, drug would be an easier one.

1 Like

2~3000 per million people, mostly those who would die at any time anyways.

In my view, the social and economic damage cause by restrictions far outweigh those deaths.

1 Like

Yes, and recommended vaccines are also covered without copay by health insurance

Did not realize that force was part of the question. Some vaccines are already required in schools and in some professions.

Yes, it provides incremental information. My company tests us for free, if we want, so I will go ahead and get tested out of curiosity. But absent that, I would tend to just get the vaccine and not get tested first. At a population level, running antibody tests to decide whether someone would benefit from a vaccine would have a pretty low yield in areas that have not had a lot of cases, like Taiwan.

1 Like