What percentage of the population should be vaccinated and why

I think you may have this wrong. Until (Jan/Feb/Mar?) 2020, there were steady flights direct from Wuhan to Taiwan. It’d be a stretch to believe it hasn’t been here.

I haven’t read much on it but thought the seroprevalence was pretty low.

For example,

This one was done in around 14k outpatients and ER patients with “neither symptoms indicative of nor positive nucleic acid test for SARS-CoV-2 infection.” They estimated that the seroprevalence was around 0.05% in this group. Probably higher by now.

Could be. I think there was a shit-ton of folks who didn’t want to ruin their CNY and become national news stories, as well.

Since vaccines kill you, masks are useless, quarantines are fascism and zero people will die of Covid if Taiwan drops vaccines, masks, and quarantines the only correct answer is zero percentage.

3 Likes

They can but not a high percentage of people.

No, masks offer some protection in crowds.

Monitoring incoming people isn’t fascism.

People die. You start dying the day your ass hits daylight.

Adding on from what TWT posted…
Cars… Speed cameras, speed limits, emission filters, manufacturing standards, road safety campaigns in schools.
Obesity and stroke… funding into research into causes, prevention and treatment.

2 Likes

“You start dying the day your ass hits daylight.”
Many people consider parturition as being a significant marker in the life/death cycle. However, I think we are dying before we separate from our mother. And further, I think we are alive before our parents meet.
Down the rabbit hole we go. :hugs:

1 Like

And other causes of death get worked on too. Lifespan doubled in twentieth century due to things like pasteurization, vaccinations, etc. When governments can prevent suicide (another example given here sometimes) they do that too (for instance UK’s elimination of coal stoves, or efforts to add higher guards to bridges). A lot more of us are dying because of lifestyle diseases because we’ve eliminated other causes of death.

I feel like we just haven’t had a major polio-style disease in the last seventy years, but we could get easily get another SARS, ebola, etc. So this is about Covid, but the info we get here will help if we have something like that.

2 Likes

None of these are all that effective. I drive as fast as I feel is safe and the road is built for regardless of limits. Speed cameras people slow down for and speed up after. As far as road death rates we know there is a risk and we take that every time we get in the car. Obesity is accepted as normal in the USA as the majority of the population is fat and you can’t shame them. It’s just accepted as a normal fact of life that there are deaths from many PREVENTABLE causes.

Covid comes along…Omg sky is falling. Gotta save everyone. I get suspicious when other deaths are just shrugged off but this is the worst thing to ever hit the human race. Nobody gave much of a shit when millions of people died and still die in third world countries from starvation but omg a bad flu is here, shut the world down boys

1 Like

Life is absurd. Every aspect of it. And it’s good to point the absurdities out. But seeing some type of conspiracy behind this absurdity is in itself an absurdity. (Not saying you are. I’m losing track of who said what.)

2 Likes

I’m not saying there is a conspiracy. I am saying that for some reason the world has put an unrealistic priority on this virus to the detriment of society, people’s livelihoods, economy, and mental health.

Yes Covid is serious I don’t disagree. Yes I think mandatory masks are good. Yes social distance is good. Forcing a medical procedure on people is generally considered wrong (at least it used to be) Shutting down entire economies is ridiculous. Having people having ptsd from all this is nuts.

7 Likes

Seat belts, passive restraints, car seats, crumple zones are all pretty darned effective. Tons of research and effort go into preventing negative outcomes from overweight/obesity. Massive finding is poured into research and programs aimed at preventing or modifying the disease course of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

3 Likes

A government can’t control your behaviour. It can put measures in place to try to keep you safe though. And governments do do that. If you ask me.

I also think the question regarding if government cares about your life, is different to the efficacy of their measures.

COVID is placing unexpected burdens on healthcare systems, globally. This knocks on to other health problems not getting dealt with. In England the NHS is in all sorts of trouble and people with cancers and other diseases haven’t been treated for the last few years. And that’s because of COVID hospitalisations.

I don’t agree with the view you’ve formed over COVID, Dan. However, I do respect it.

EDIT: I completely agree that mental health has been overlooked in many decisions. Children have suffered greatly, in my opinion and the consequences of this will ripple long into the future.

4 Likes

Still not my point. Deaths occur in many preventable cases. We accept this as part of life. Somehow society feels covid is different and needs to be stopped when the reality is it will be with us for a long time like other risks we take

1 Like

This is a problem for sure. A friend and I were discussing the implications today. I said that I agree that if it comes down to an unvaccinated patient getting Covid and needing ICU and a surgery that needs to be done, they need to prioritize the urgent surgery.

I don’t agree with the pandemic plan of shutting down all the elective surgery. Triage is something that may be required. If you want to take the risk you have the right but doctors may have to make tougher choices.

1 Like

This is my concern on vaccine for children:

“A team led by Dr Tracy Hoeg at the University of California investigated the rate of cardiac myocarditis – heart inflammation – and chest pain in children aged 12-17 following their second dose of the vaccine,” reports the Telegraph.

“They then compared this with the likelihood of children needing hospital treatment owing to Covid-19, at times of low, moderate and high rates of hospitalisation.”

Researchers found that the risk of heart complications for boys aged 12-15 following the vaccine was 162.2 per million, which was the highest out of all the groups they looked at.

This compares to the risk of a healthy boy being hospitalized as a result of a COVID infection, which is around 26.7 per million, meaning the risk they face from the vaccine is 6.1 times higher.

Source: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.30.21262866v1.full.pdf

3 Likes

60% of the population.

After critical infrastructure workers, shots should be distributed randomly.

You aren’t going to be building herd immunity by vaccinating old people that normally stay home anyway.

A country is attacked and defense Minister kindly ask young fit boys to join military and protect homeland?

Doesn’t work this way. Everyone living on tax money should be vaccinated. Governmental employees and unemployed people. Two groups of people with enough time to read theories of mass conspiracy.

Others should be warned, hospitalization from covid is self paid (including often ridiculous hospital and doctor covid bonuses).

I recovered from covid, I got vaccine. I am tired to keep showing papers on borders and do PCR tests

We have to move on and start living normally

I skimmed through this. They state only mRNA but not specifically which one or if both used (correct me if I’m wrong). Does this matter I wonder? And this outcome seems to be for boys only. How about for girls? Not criticizing. Seriously curious because I have a 17 year old daughter.

Don’t sit on the fence or anything lol.

1 Like