What post-Covid changes would like to see?

Also they’ve created enough treatments that you can lead a normal, full and relatively healthy life with HIV. They can keep it from ever developing into AIDS if treated early enough. If they can do similar treatments to mitigate Covid-19’s harm then it won’t be as good as a vaccine, but it will greatly reduce its ability to kill and thus disrupt society.

Many of my friends started little veggie gardens in the backyards and some even in the city if that have a little spot. I hope to see this continue.

1 Like

Driving in single passenger cars and frivolous air travel reduced significantly in order to reduce carbon emissions

Pangolins happy

2 Likes

Me, too.

If there’s one positive that comes out of the ridiculous overreaction otherwise known as the American response to cv19, I hope it’s that Americans realize that owning real estate means much more than owning a “beautiful home” that will sell for 10% more in five years, and instead means owning real estate that can actually grow things that we love to tend and that tend to love us back when we eat them, or sell them to those still unenlightened.

Things like spicy peppers, tomatoes, basil, and rosemary are pretty easy to grow and are very useful. Don’t take up a lot of space either.

1 Like

Grew up on a dirt farm that required no additional water but did require additional fertilization (“require” = market forces for ag commodities in the 1950-1980s).

I can still remember the incredulity of the old farmers who were my pa’s friends when they talked about city folk fertilizing lawns in order to grow shit that only needed mowing down. We never even dreamed of fertilizing the lawn in spring, especially after the brouhaha that led to the establishment of the EPA.

I think there’s a lot of shit that we could get right after cv19, and land use is pretty close to the top of my list.

1 Like

How about some free range chicken! Haha. We’ve been waiting for eggs for a while. For some reason, an animal ate the ones that were laying eggs. Maybe a fox.

1 Like

Upper respiratory corona virus? Let’s hope.

I’m loving the ideas that are showing up. Especially the discussion about mini farming/gardening. I can’t give any more likes for the moment. But in my Oprah voice-. All get a like!!!

Growing up, we had a garden until moving to the burbs where it wasn’t possible.

The one thing I’d add to @bojack 's thing about house buying is that imo the whole conversation around owning a house has to change, at least for many AAs (can’t speak to other minorities ) still believe that owning a home is a form $$ security. Since 2009 that has changed. Or at least become very questionable.

I’d like to see banks and local government work with everyone with some new sort of formula on mortgages and taxes that increase growth. This would include rentals.

Most of the stuff mentioned are the big stuff that should be dealt with but what about small stuff like bus rider limits?

Or no more buffets. Or bring back drive–in movies? Or shift in how we consume via the Internet?

1 Like

I think for everyone, not just for AAs. I can see a home as another asset once you have many other assets and investments, but not the safety investment it once was in the US. Rent and have other investments with the down payment you would put into a house.

That would be cool. Never been to one, but would love to.

Whats wrong with buffets? I love them haha.

1 Like

For AAs our wealth ownership isn’t on the same level as whites. White Americans might have x amount in savings and investments even better job/education, and can weather or stave off loss of home a bit easier than many AAs. And also getting better mortgage rates and access to loans.

Buffets – a multitude of stuff is wrong with them. :joy: From folks who don’t wash their hands to food sitting out for hours under heat lamps making them mini Petri dishes. Things are disgusting imo. :joy:

Just let me enjoy. Sometimes I’m just so hungry and want to crush a buffet.

Here’s your :heart: since I can’t give anymore.

Urban farming is always possible. This is mine.

1 Like

End dependency on fossil fuels
Build a light rail on both coasts of US
Demilitarized cops
Make reigning in climate change first priority
A return to valuing the truth, science, and academic thought
More mom and pop stores and less chain stores
Real Estate market affordable for working class
Free college
Universal health care

1 Like

Remote work is the biggie. Taking time out to do other stuff than work and focused on now more than the future …Clean up our planet climate change and air and water pollution are real problems we need to fix .

2 Likes

I’m so down for this. Growing up in Chicago, black neighborhoods had a healthy amount of mom/pop stores. As did other neighborhoods of different nationalities. Genetrification and the unwillingness of the next generation reduced a lot of them.

I most certainly would like to see a reduction of genetrification projects until there’s a balance.

1 Like

A lot of these are wishful thinking, even if I agree with them.
For instance for what one reason will we see more mom and pop stores and what will they be selling?
How do they compete against Costco and Amazon and Walmart.
If there’s finally a reversal of moving to massive expensive cities that will be very impactful I think . Live in a small city, town, village instead. Commute perhaps once a week.

2 Likes

Sure it’s wishful thinking but stranger things have come up. In 2004, I wished for a way to stream my downloads to my TV and wa-la! Ten years later I’ve got a Amazon firestick. Yayyyyyyy. :joy::joy:

F***k big box. That’s what I have to say at the moment.

As for the commute that’s going to increase our dependency on fossil fuels. IJs.

1 Like