What prospective students need to know about study in Taiwan

Yes, I am struck by writer’s block again. Then I thought, mmm, how about a nice info guide to studying in Taiwan? It’s just the right time, as msot schools find new recruits before April?

Now, the issue is to say something new, intersting and inviting. Any questions you need answered?

Where can I find sour cream?

Where can I find sour cream?[/quote]
:bravo:

Where can I find sour cream?[/quote]
:bravo:[/quote]

:roflmao:

I’m seeking young, attractive and VERY er… broadminded Taiwanese girls with astonishing breasts and unfeasible flexibility for um … language exchange.

Is it too late to enroll for the March term, apparently it is at Shi-Da. Any alternatives in Taipei ?

I’m looking for a Chinese language school that doesn’t teach tones; I just can’t be bothered with that shit. Also, I’m not that keen on pinyin or bo po mo fo, so I was wondering if there were any schools which use English to represent written Chinese.
Thanks.
I’m really looking forward to learning Chinese and heading to China. China is the future, and I think that for a foreigner knowing some of the language and culture stuff, well, it’s like having your own money printing press.

aj, maybe you can MBA?

You’re on the ball. Yes, very important to combine language and business skills. I’ve got that covered - I’ve just signed up for an uber-intensive two-month internet MBA course.

Have you seen my website? I can distance MBA for you. Can also Master Marketing and ELFSOL.

But seriously, Icon, the things most people seem to ask about here on the flob are

Visas, the differences between different Chinese programs, scholarship regulations and availability, whether there are English language programs for degree courses, and what teaching approaches are.

The things I most wanted to know about before I came were the dorms… and generally the dorms! How big, how much, how many (ppl), bathrooms, aircon etc…

Transport? On Campus transport?

Something I’m still a little wigged on is the grading. If I got a B+ on the report, and did fairly well (80+) on the exam, how did I only get a 69 for the subject? I’m guessing it’s because I skipped a few classes. This is something that wouldn’t be an issue in Aus, so it’s something that people might like to know about. Grading’s not as clear-cut here as it is elsewhere.

Apparently a lot of iMBA students turn up expecting to be fluent in Chinese within 2 months. Despite the fact that their classes are all in English. :roflmao:

Maybe something about Taiwan not really being as conducive to learning Chinese as one might imagine.

Can’t think what else, packing! Good luck :bow:

Chapter 1 Go to class more than occasionally
Chapter 2 Read the assigned materials BEFORE class
Chapter 3. Girls, keep his necktie out of your ear during class. Guys, this is not a physiology class.
Chapter 4. Read chapters 1,2 and 3.

69 in a graduate class means you failed (70 is passing grade). Maybe while you did relatively well everyone else did better, so you got screwed that way by the curve. That or the instructor has a bone to pick with you. My guess is the latter.

Grading has never been really clear cut for me throughout my undergrad and grad life in the States, aside from a few classes that I either aced or took pass/no pass and passed them.

Also, “taught in English” really means the class will be in Chinese if there aren’t enough foreign students of white or Indian descent, so if you looked remotely Asian and happened to be the only English speaker in the class, sorry the class will be in Chinese.

Let me rephrase and refocus: not about Chinese language programs, but rather college programs.

I want to entice them into getting BAs and MAs here.

If somebody is coming here for learning a subject that is not Chinese, most important of all would be to know how the local programs rank compared with the rest of the world. IE is it beneficial study in Taiwan to get a MBA in 2 months(is this for real) or is time/money better spent applying to an internationally ranked school.

I did my master of applied art here, in Chinese. The only westerner in the dept.
So many times I wished I had my highschool friends to endure long and boring writing thesis classes …

My studies hightlight was when I teached my little brothers and sisters the joy of “Exquisite corpse” …

I miss Fujen …

Places like National Taiwan University and National Tsinghua University are relatively well known in the world, especially in the physical and chemical sciences.

Hetbellz and others,

How did you finance your studies?

I’m going to do everything I can to avoid Bǔxíbān work next academic year. (I’ll start a masters program in September.)

By the way, the Taiwan scholarships seem to be on the outs. According to the San Fransisco TECO, the quota for 2010 is 3. (The San Fransisco office, in regards to scholarships, resides over Alaska, Northern California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. sfmoe.org/e_default.htm )

my university had a scholarship for foreigners based on your results and attendance.
But I guess you will have to do some tutoring or find a part-time job around the campus (pretty easy)

Where are you going to study ?

If I’m accepted, I’ll go to Zhèngzhì Dàxué.