What questions to ask in order to lead an examined life?

What are the most important questions to ask oneself in order to motivate oneself and to lead a more examined life? Once you ask yourself a question, your mind starts trying to find the answer.

I guess the first question would be “Do I want to lead an examined life?” I wonder if asking oneself that question is already going down the path of an examined life. Though if one were to answer no, that would probably be the end of it.

If one were to answer yes, then I suppose one good question would be “What is the meaning of life?”, though that may be a pretty big question to tackle right away. Before coming up with a suitable answer for oneself, there are “lesser” questions that would need to be answered like “Do I believe in God?” and “Is there an ultimate truth?”

I suppose my version of leading an examined life is reading Zhuangzi comics and trying my place in the puzzle of life. Though I’m still confuse by whether it is me the piece that’s suppose to change or if I’m suppose to find the correct puzzle to be a part of. I suspect it’s some slippery combination of both.

What can I learn from this?

Ah the Apology.

Tons and tons of philosophers have said things about this question.

It could be said Socrates goal was virtue. It could be said my goal is the complete opposite. Yet one of my methods to become unvirtuous is the examined life.

How about: “Why should I care?”

How can I add value to this?

The title was a little vague. Reading just the title it appears that what you’ll find inside are “Questions for motivation and introspection”, maybe it’d be as simple as updating the title to “What questions to ask in order to lead an examined life?” (or something like that, that was just a quick edit.)

As it is if someone clicks the thread looking for a list of questions only to find questions about which questions would be on the list, they probably won’t reply. Some that would like to answer the question posted in title #2, but has no desire to read a premade list might not click title #one.

Title’s of posts are very important. They’re kind of like a first impression (sorta kinda.)

Also, the original post seems to lack beef, as in:

The title was a little vague. Reading just the title it appears that what you’ll find inside are “Questions for motivation and introspection”, maybe it’d be as simple as updating the title to “What questions to ask in order to lead an examined life?” (or something like that, that was just a quick edit.)

As it is if someone clicks the thread looking for a list of questions only to find questions about which questions would be on the list, they probably won’t reply. Some that would like to answer the question posted in title #2, but has no desire to read a premade list might not click title #one.

Title’s of posts are very important. They’re kind of like a first impression (sorta kinda.)

Also, the original post seems to lack beef, as in:

[/quote]

OK, let’s try your suggestion for a day or two and see what happens. I suspect you might be right. I am a laconic chap.

:laughing: Nice word. I had to look that shit up.

[quote=“m-w.com”]Main Entry: la·con·ic
Pronunciation: l&-'kä-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin laconicus Spartan, from Greek lakOnikos; from the Spartan reputation for terseness of speech
: using or involving the use of a minimum of words : concise to the point of seeming rude or mysterious[/quote]
At least you have a way with words. That’s going to be my word for the day.

What assumptions am I making here?

That questioned will be asked and answered right before I met my maker. I’m more interested in “Am I living a life that I would be able to face God with when I die.” :wink:

It seems to me the quickest way to an examined life is to change your name to Muhammed, roll around in some gunpower or fertilizer, and then try to jump on a plane bound for Reagan National.

The first thing to do is to think about what you really want, what is important to you. You need to put time aside for some introspection about where you are now and what it is that’s driving you to ask these questions.

What are the areas of dissatisfaction?

What is it that’s missing?

What is it that you want?

If you find yourself thinking of some material thing, or a specific career, then you’re not there yet. All that is just the means to get what it is you really want. For me, over the last few years, it’s been all about a specific lifestyle, one which combines four elements:

• fun, there’s no point being alive if you’re not enjoying it!
  • personal growth, as in education or experiences that help you become the person you want to be
  • something meaningful to do, because sweating in a cubicle or partying yourself to death is ultimately pointless
  • and money, because that’s something that enables you to pursue your other goals.

All this has to take place in a healthy environment, both physically and spritiually/emotionally/psychologically.

And none of this can be achieved if you don’t have control of your life, because your decisions will be made by people who aren’t thinking about what’s best for you.

Everything’s inter-related. The more you can do the more control over your life you have, and the more choices in finding meaningful employment. Fun is related to your environment, and the right job is enjoyable as well as fulfilling. etc

A while ago I spent a lot of time contemplating what is not in my life that I really want. It was hard because my speculations kept getting displaced by images of large-ish (c-cup) breasts, of which there seems to be a dearth in Taipei. Eventually I concluded that I won’t be happy without a pair of big handfuls in my life, which sounds shallow but is at least honest.

Are you being honest with yourself?