What’s up with the cheese?

These guys have amazing stuff. Taiwanese woman and foreign husband. I love their cheeses!

There is another good one in taipei. My mandarin is failing me now. I remember their brand sounds something like munmun nong, but cant remember exactly. Only had it once, was quite good.

2 Likes

So where did find this local cheese, I may buy it if price is not sky high.

I’ve learned not to order cheese danbing apart from a few places since it is invariably processed American cheese. Sometimes they’ll even write cheddar in Chinese, but oh it’s not cheddar.

Even supposed decent burger places just use American cheese on their burgers. Find your favorites and stick to them.

1 Like

Literally right above your post hehe. Very good.

cheese has to be expensive here if its truly local. I would be highly suspicious if ts local and heap, that just doesnt add up. We arent a cattle country.

Its hard to get cheap prices like USA with their better climate, massive land and huge subsidies. Just wont happen.

I did buy some mature pasteurised milk cheese (that’s what it says on the label) from IKEA was a lot better than I expected, after packet had been open a couple of days.
Almost cheddar.

3 Likes

I mean based on how expensive dairy in general is here, I don’t think it’s a huge surprise that cheese is rare

1 Like

Cheese just like baking bread or whaatever isnt that hard to make. Taiwan exagerrates everything. Mostly you have to start with good ingredients.

Sure enough when somebody sets up a vineyard here its going to be way overblown and pricey.

2 Likes

This is an interesting point.

The change in bread in Taipei over the past decade is astonishing. Once people figure it out, off they go.

It’s not inconceivable that the same thing could, perhaps, happen with locally made cheese, though obviously we’re still a long ways off from that.

Guy

1 Like

Thats true . But to be fair milk is way more perishable and quite expensive to produce on scale in taiwan at prices remotely similar to say the US/Australia etc. Its done here, but the costs are waaaay higher here than big countries. I kind of just accept the price here on that one. then cheese is even more obviously. I wonder if the taiwan cheese makers are using taiwanese milk or imported?

Wheat is cheap and stores well. Like coffee, no excuses for the outrageous gouging imo.

The wheat market will be messed up for years due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Coffee is facing its own challenges, partly related to changing climates and also related to the global competition to buy high quality beans.

Guy

America also pays a lot dairy subsidies from what I understand

Sorta sounds like karma haha.

Ya, the us subsidizes a lot. But so does taiwan! The US is just better at getting returns from their subsidies.

Not sure how new it is, but I came across this Tasmanian cheddar cheese in the Ximen Carrefour the other day. I bought the vintage one called Wineglass Bay.

I don’t think it’s worth paying 70% more for compared with the President cheddar cheese I usually buy (NT$199 for 140 g versus NT$169 for 200 g), but it’s not bad either.

2 Likes

I get GRASS and COW, but how did I get involved?

2 Likes

Ingredients or lack thereof is the problem. Anyways, after making it you need to ripen and store the cheeses, bigger problem and expensive. Imported cheeses are expensive for a reason, either airfreight or reefer (cooled/refrigerated container) and calculation of loss of product (spoilage). They also need to be stored at appropriate conditions.

Is this production method even legal?

1 Like

I am buying slices of Gouda, Edam, Maasdam, at Carrefour. I used to pick up the small cheese blocks at Ikea, but they did not have any last time I went.

3 Likes

I’m using the IKEA cheese opposed to difficult to get strong cheddar.
Yes sells out quickly often none In so I buy a few at a time.

2 Likes

Never bought or tried it. but as a mention for the vegetarians and vegans. a few people have been saying good things about these 2 places making vegan cheese.

Chef Adrian Wu

Moonlab