What’s up with the new AIT?

There’s this huge new structure in my back yard (Neihu) that never seems to get close to completion. What the hell is going on?

It’s getting close to completion. Opening date some time in June.

And I have heard June won’t happen. The date will move again.

If it’s in your backyard, you know better than us! What does it look like? Still a construction zone?

When you gotta ship every brick and stone over from the US, it’s bound to take awhile.

They also have to move the school from Tian Mu to Neihu. I wonder when that will happen and what that’ll be like.

They’re going to move the American school from Tianmu to Neihu? Huh … isn’t that school (and the families that come with it) one of the main things keeping Tianmu alive at this point?

Not necessarily? However, I don’t have facts or a source to give you just personal observation. It just doesn’t seem like Tian Mu completely depends on those attending the American school. The community itself is pretty wealthy and Tian Mu is it’s own city within Taipei. The area is also one of the least humid places in the city. So it does have have its perks outside of the American school.

If the European schol could take ove rteh Tianmu premises it’d be fantastic. Alas, the plans for the property probably include it ending up as a mall.

Ah, three more Mitsukoshis all selling the same stuff.

2 Likes

Looking at the property prices Tianmu seems to be losing a bit of luster. Lots of elderly, big parts of it too far from the MRT, not enough new development (with elevators). E.g. the area south of the Tianmu baseball stadium is seeing substantial price drops.

Isn’t their current lease set to expire in July 2018?

I have not walked by there in a few weeks but it was far from complete at that time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it go into 2019.

I theorize the delays are caused by whatever is getting installed. The structures are massive. Why does it need to be so huge? Why do US Marines need to stationed there? IMO there is more going on there than just AIT offices. I’m not sayin, I’m just sayin.

1 Like

Eh? There are no Marines at AIT right now. Will there be at the new location? It is not an embassy.

Speculation or fact? This is the first I have ever heard of TAS moving. Source?

Yes

1 Like

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aipl/201804220018.aspx

They’re probably putting in equipment for testing the temperature at which steel melts.

I have only been to the current office near Daan Park once but I was shocked. I mean, for a place that has already been run over - even if a different location, current Spot theater- security seems quite humble. But that is in keeping with Taiwan lax standards.

In the ol country it is like walking in a max security prision, complete with gun towers and a one kilometer open air walk from the gates to the main compound. Walls a la Jerico,10 meters wide and 10 meters tall.

After Bengazi I`d expect nothing less anywhere the stars and stripes officially flies.

The American School is a commercial organization not connected in any way officially with AIT. AIT employees can choose to send their kids to the euro school if they want.

Most of the students are not from AIT employee’s anyway.

That’s all we need, Americans with firesticks.

Marines guard embassies… That’s their job there. There is a Marine Barracks inside the compound like most embassies. The Marines are not there for any specific military purpose or to protect Americans or or go out into Taiwan and fight or anything like that. Their job is to protect the embassy.

If the US military needs to be fighting in Taiwan, then they will be sent additionally.