What’s up with the new AIT?

TAS won’t be moving anytime soon, there’s been a huge investment in new buildings there in the last 10yrs complete with a new buildings going up at the current time. Also talk of new building going up on the old TAS bus park too. Nope not going anywhere soon at all.

WRT to TienMu and the MRT - well there is the proposed TienMu MRT line which is I think approved and should be starting to be built in the next few years when they have the capacity to build. At that point I guess TienMu will see prices go back up again.

Agreed, the light rail project from Shezi to Tianmu baseball stadium would be a great boon for Tianmu. Unfortunately it is still in “planned” phase and not approved yet.

More info:
https://english.dorts.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=F5C47899DE0D7088&s=4DF733887A0C988C

I think you are down-playing the significance of US military personnel proposed to be on this island, where zero exist today (that we know of). Can’t imagine China will be too happy about that.

Someone had made theories about the role of carriers and military personnel in the eventuality of having to evacuate US citizens due to a Chinese invasion. Given teh mad stampede that would cause towards the airport, seems someone thought that plan B is actual boat lift.

Maybe that big facility will house better spy equipment
Maybe the marines are there to protect it
Or to have an easier way to communicate with the TW military

Anyway, China will be unhappy

1 Like

I was told by a colleague when I worked there 6 years ago. I guess you can say it’s speculation.

If you Google maps the location of the new complex, there’s actually enough land for them to build a school south of the complex. I could be wrong, I could be right. We’ll find out?

They are already part of AIT for a few years but not as marine guards. Public knowledge.

I’m not saying you are making it up, but I’d like to see the source of this ‘public knowledge’.

Armed, uniformed Marines in Taiwan is a pretty big deal, I’m thinking.

Bingo. This is going to be an intelligence gathering station with an attached AIT office.

I just want to know where we’re supposed to gather for the evacuation choppers when Day Zero minus one comes.

It happened shortly after this.

http://archives.dailynews.lk/2004/12/21/wor07.html

But did it actually happen? Otherwise why the recent articles like this one:

Also, one ‘liaison’ officer is not nearly the same as a dozen Marines.

First reported the US would, then reported it wouldn’t, now reported it would.
Seems like US sending signals to China about making sure N. Korea plays ball on the nuclear game. Just :2cents:

Yeah I wonder also why there isn’t just a small operation since Taiwanese can visit the USA visa free now. And the AIT has very limited US citizen support. They really only need one representative and a hAndful of Taiwanese clerks and they are good to go.

There may end up being some ex marines under civilian contract dressed like civilians.

Easy , go nowhere ain’t no choppers when she’s gone

Looks like AIT is ready for business, but still not open.

I wonder where the size of this complex ranks compared to US embassies world-wide? It really is massive.

It is not moving any time soon. They just broke ground on a new huge tech building that took a lot of the athletic fields.

That’s because all the satellite offices in Taipei are now going to be in one building. There is a cultural, education and other departments spread all over Taipei.

There is a cultural office? Never heard of anything it has done. In the old country it is quite active.