What’s worse? To be super cold or super hot?

I don’t know about super-hot, but it’s pretty cool to be hot.

Seems colder places, means more wealth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmrra8i4hZY

This guy’s voice is so annoying.

'ate winter
luv summer
simple as

I love Summer and Winter.
Each has it’s own beautiful characteristics.
Humid heat is a bitch and freezing rain is a coont.

1 Like

https://www.pud3.org/blog/articles--blog/behind-the-scenes-at-pud-3/are-air-conditioners-more-efficient-than-heaters#:~:text=When%20comparing%20an%20air%20conditioner,efficient%20at%20moving%20heat%20energy.

This surprised me… I also assumed that AC was more expensive/energy inefficient

1 Like

No AC is incredibly efficient because it doesn’t need to make heat, it just moves it around. Better if you could somehow harness that heat to do something, like for example heat water so you get 2 for the price of one. If I had more money I’d definitely have that system because it means lower electricity rates. It would also be nice if I could somehow harness the heat produced by the condenser to cook food… Or what about a bunch of AC condenser together to produce enough heat to actually boil water, and use that to get electricity back? Kinda like regenerative braking.

This could be something that say a meat packing plant or food distributor could use as they probably spend a lot of electricity for cooling. Or if this means factories could be air conditioned (and they should, excess humidity can not only affect worker productivity but affect quality) and that waste heat be harnessed in its boilers for factory process…

You should know those tumble washer that has a dryer function actually has a heat pump. It uses it to heat the water but also for drying clothing. It’s incredibly energy efficient.

3 Likes

25 to 26? thats HOT. We keep our interior temp at 22 to 23c in summer, in winter we do 25c in the house.

2 Likes

They are not! I had one OK 20 years ago! in UK was unbelievably inefficient, possibly may be better now.
Couldn’t afford to use dryer function.

I understand using condensor to harness heat and I love the ‘regenerative braking’ comparison.
I’m surprised at lack of Solar panels in Taiwan, all those big roofs unused??
I guess possiby manufactured here in Taiwan.

I don’t know about you but I always use the dryer function simply because I have no space to dry clothes. I have not noticed any significant increase in electric bill thus far. The only real significant increase in electric bill has always been AC usage.

Also line dried clothing smells weird, feels weird, and it takes up space. Only thing I line dry is stuff that may get damaged by heat, and I don’t have many of those.

The problem with solar panel in Taiwan is that it’s not sunny every single day, and also seeing how much it rains the panels will need cleaning if it is to be used on a large scale. Furthermore I think the rooftop is privately owned meaning you will need their permission (not to mention compensation) to put panels there. Is Taipower going to pay building owners for permission to put panels there? Or offer them substantial discount on electricity?

They need to finish the 4th nuclear power plant

Ten billion USD spent on 4th plant and it’s finished but they are afraid to run it
Because it’s a blend of that and a blend of this technology

And nuclear is no joke

Dryer system possibly improved now to what they where.
Yes I can understand drying outside here and clothing smell and washing machines here are fucking useless. Outdoor drying at home was nice and fresh I live in the Countryside. Not when they are manuring the fields.

I didn’t know about rooftop being privatly owned, I had solar panels fitted on my roof in the UK for my own use my roof.
Good part is any surplass power you generate can sell back to electricity company. When I return in August I’m going to build myself a wind turbine to also place on the roof, plan being sell surplass can pay for my gas?!

I enjoyably and meaningfully live a better life in warm climate!

1 Like

Oh I found winter very mild in Nantou actually; could probably count the number of days I felt genuinely cold on one hand

1 Like

70+ voters!
I think we never had a poll so popular!

1 Like

It’s the great debate of our time. Tighter than I would’ve thought too.

2 Likes

Yeah, who would’ve thought half of Forumosa could be wrong?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Those solar panels will go bad by the time they pay for themselves. I think they are good for maybe 25 years.

Same with wind.

But also Taipower has no structure to sell power back to the grid…

Maybe availability varies by region? A coworker recently installed rooftop panels in Yilan and sells it all back to Taipower.

3 Likes

wasn’t easy to be in Fort Mcmurray when it was -30, first time in my life I could feel my nose hair freezing

1 Like