What’s your best response to “Why did you come to Taiwan?”

I’m asked this question by almost every local I meet and trying to think of creative ways to respond.

“My mom sent me here and said I can’t return to the US until my mandarin improves”

“To get rich and make money”

“To meet Taiwanese girls”

I never ask a Taiwanese in the US why he/she there. It’s almost always for the money.

5 Likes

Because I’m a pathetic loser and couldn’t make it back in my home country.

19 Likes

I can’t recall the last time I got asked this. My reply would have been “wife”.

1 Like

Because Taiwanese thinks Taiwan is where all the losers go and America is the land of dreams. They cannot comprehend why would anyone want to come to “devil island” (this is what Taiwanese call Taiwan).

Maybe just say you’re sick and America has shitty healthcare.

2 Likes

I tested positive for Covid.

13 Likes

Covid refugee

Tax refugee

Lover of Taiwanese women.

1 Like

Bizarre. Where do you hang out? I’ve been asked that once in twenty years, by a lunatic on the MRT.

2 Likes

Was feeling a bit feisty one day and instead of answering this persistent question (this time asked by someone I could tell already seemed to possibly have some preconceived notions about me), came back with one of my own:

“Why do you think I came to Taiwan? Take a guess!”

The result was the closest approximation to what a BSOD (blue screen of death) looks like on a human face. Oops!

2 Likes

Mildly surprised by this - we both teach at universities, and I get asked by students probably once or twice a semester.

2 Likes

I get asked this about once a month by taxi drivers. I just give them the simple version by telling them that Mandarin speaking American engineers have lots of opportunities here and that seems to satisfy them.

Mispeeled Thailand when booking my airplane ticket. Was looking for Pattaya but settled for Ikea.

10 Likes

I’m at a very liberal, media and PR focused university. Perchance my students are more sensitive to looking stupid with dumb questions? Also, usually 30% are exchange students from Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Russia, China, Vietnam, Nigeria, etc.
I suppose the Taiwanese students are a bit more courteous because of the diversity, and don’t want to appear rude.
This is just a wild guess, though.
It is of personal interest, so it shall be my main focus in the first classes of the new semester.
“Why do you lot ask these stupid ethnocentric questions all the time?”
“But, teacher, we don’t!”
“My buddies on the internet state otherwise!”
“That’s not us! It’s NTU! All the science and math idiots!”
“Fair enough. Now let’s get back to discussing what you ate for New Year. More importantly, did you win or lose at mahjong?”

2 Likes

‘Why not?’

Almost always is a wrong answer.

Weird seeing people here saying they rarely get asked this question. I used to get asked this all the time. It’s a perfectly legitimate question, but I’d always get the sense that they were surprised or even grateful that I’d chosen to live in Taiwan as if it was some kind of crazy decision.

I guess I get asked it once or twice a year.

The few Taiwanese that I met who wanted to go the States said because there of a romantic reason, more than money (in some cases both apply). As to here in Taiwan I say work if they ask (which is true and I get an ok), but the more common question is what do I think of Taiwan or KHH. P.S. , Are you student? First answer seems like a student vs an working adult reply.

I suppose I don’t get asked it because I very rarely go out, and hardly ever interact with people apart from my students. On public transport I try to look like a mass murderer, and thus avoid unwanted discourse.

1 Like

So, Jimi, why did you come to Taiwan?

Asking for a . . . um, just wondering.

1 Like

Because I’m a loser, baby, so why don’t you kill me?

3 Likes

Sadly, you could probably go a lifetime here before a local would get the reference.

1 Like