What’s your political compass?

chart

Genuinely surprised. I expected my “strongly agree” for anything in favour of punishing criminals would have slammed me to the right. But I guess my “strongly agree” to anything opposing rich greedy businesses balanced it out and strongly agree for pro-environment questions.

1 Like

It seems to put basically everybody in the lower left quadrant.

I got the same score as various people I regularly butt heads with. A lot of the questions really didn’t make sense to me - I couldn’t really give them an agree or disagree because I thought they were fundamentally stupid, or had a lot more subtlety baked into them than the questioner had considered. Which suggests that politics is a lot more complicated than a 2D grid.

3 Likes

Yeah, more specific examples would probably help, don’t remember exactly but on a few of them my brain was squinting.

Also agree that it seems outdated quite a bit, therefore results should be on a bit of a curve in relation to the quadrant.

1 Like

Funnily enough, my score was identical to yours. And I mean identical.

EDIT: no, sorry, you’re one little square further down the Y-axis.

3 posters who shared were on the right. part of the problem is the questions are so old and the times have changed. someone needs to write new questions, i went looking for a newer version but everything seemed very US centric and more right/left without the authoritarian/freedom element

This is probably a good indication that the test is seriously flawed.

3 Likes

yes

mine was identical to malasang88, with whom i have disagreed strongly on the CRT thread (can’t recall any other interactions)

1 Like

drew covered this

1 Like

I’m sure there’s someone out there eager to call BS on me and say I’m not there, but won’t, because they know it would jack their red dot north about 8 paces. :sweat_smile:

Regardless of being dated, you’d still think that people with very different views would score differently.

5 Likes

Yes sir!

we need more relevant questions to tease out those differences. as you said, the test is flawed

1 Like

Well done, you’re almost at the apex! Don’t tell me you said yes to tofu-based diets.

1 Like

I must have guessed a few questions wrong.

Make that two.

1 Like

Designing questionnaires is hard. We did an entire module on it at uni and it was definitely one of the most challenging. The bottom line is that it’s very hard to know exactly what it is you’re measuring without having a very clear idea of what you want to measure, and then making sure that a factor analysis yields strong components for that particular thing. My personal objection here is that ‘libertarianism’ means radically different things to different people, so how are you going to create a linear scale for it? Authoritarianism involves personality traits that almost certainly won’t be revealed by any but two or three of the questions in the test.

2 Likes

Challenge: can anyone guess the answers to make it to the top right corner?

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -1.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

personalised chart

I was pondering on “what would Mussolini do?”, or “what would Duterte do?”, but clearly I don’t know what right-wing even means. Or perhaps the questionnaire doesn’t actually measure right-wingness in the first place.

3 Likes