What schools pay the highest salary?

Maybe demand increased recently? I noticed through news that Taiwan is really pushing English as a main language so will need more teachers in future…:taiwan::grin:

1 Like

This feels unlikely to me. Birthrate through the floor, where are the students?

It could be a case of pay rates being suppressed so long there has to eventually be an increase. Maybe.

1 Like

I like your grammar. I have nothing against your grammar. Neither have you. However, punctuation is another issue which you have explained to me previously.

Nobody should be teaching English for less than 700 an hour.

Hehe , that reminded me of the one legged man sketch with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook … your left leg is fine , I have nothing against your left leg , the trouble is neither do you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That could be taken more than one way

1 Like

I was hoping you would link it.

Still waiting at hospital , very slow day . iPhone pain in arse to link sometimes . My sincere apologies :smirk:

Have one on me:

2 Likes

No it’s not. They’ll accept any MA. At least some schools. I teach in a business program at a private university and they’ve been having trouble finding people. They wanted to hire me full time, but I passed on the offer. I make more and work less teaching there part time as well as at two cram schools and a few privates. I did find them a guy with a PhD in economics from a Korean university.

There are positions available and they do pop up every now and then. Having connections makes a huge difference. The salaries are not great, but there is less pressure in class and you have no teaching during the summer. Fewer behavior issues than the cram schools but you’re often dealing with a highly unmotivated student body. This can be challenging but also interesting.

Rules must have changed. When I landed my job the minimum requirement for Lecturer position was a master’s in Education, English Literature, or Applied Linguistics. PhD could be in anything.

It might depend on the school. I get the sense that the schools are having a hard time filing positions. In part because of the low salaries. I’m assuming that in China, Japan, and Korea they pay more.

They still have to get a new full-time appointment passed by the MOE.

True, but this being Taiwan, there is always a way around things. They interviewed about 6 other people with PhDs (Taiwanese) yet wanted me with no PhD or business experience. They seemed to really like my teaching style and needed someone to teach the English and other liberal arts classes that nobody else wanted to teach.

Being offered a job and having the MOE approve it could be different. On the other hand, I might be out of touch with the MOE regulations.

People will find out when they get offered a position.

legal minimum requirement to get academic position (assistants) is graduation from 2-year junior college with 2 year experience of research or specialized professions or functions. To be lecturers or professors, bachelor’s degree is required.

Outstanding persons are exempted from the restrictions.

For language teacher position at university language center, the requirements are bachelor’s degree and passport.

1 Like

Well, that’s surprised me.

Where? I’m looking right now. I’ve got a Bach. with a US license. I’m 3 credits from a masters. All the jobs currently available are terrible pay.

Really all terrible pay? Did you check Tealit? This is hiring season so should be a decent amount of options. If no job postings you could always look up schools you are interested in and email them directly. Are you in Taiwan now?

A lot of looking on different Facebook pages, orseek, and 104. Majority of ads are for buxibans starting at 600-650… I’ll check tealit again. Thanks

Define terrible pay please.
What salary would be acceptable to you?

You have all the right credentials, but are you from one of the big 5 (USA, Canada, UK, Australia or South Africa)?

How much actual teaching experience do you have? What age group?

Do you have an APRC?

How long do you plan on residing and teaching in Taiwan?

These all matter when negotiating a salary.

An above poster was right, seek out the schools that are attractive to you and contact them directly.