What should be done with the remains of Chiang Kai-shek and Chiang Ching-kuo in the future?

The remains of Chiang Kai-shek and Chiang Ching-kuo have not been buried to this day, and their remains cannot remain unburied forever.

What do you think should be done with the remains of Chiang Kai-shek and Chiang Ching-kuo in the future?

I would do nothing, there are more pressing issues in Taiwan than a culture war right. Needs to be more unity to deal with the more pressing issue of China. Especially when the military top brass identify with the ROC

Probably won’t be a popular opinion

1 Like

Wayne will come up with something when/if he becomes president one day.

Who?

I didn’t even know this.

Just feed their bodies to pigs.

3 Likes

His great-grandson who’s running Taipei these days.

Depends what is meant by buried.

Chiang Kai-shek is in a sarcophagus within the Cihu Mausoleum near Daxi. His son, Chiang Ching-kuo is similarly entombed in Daxi Mausoleum nearby.

Similarly, Sun Yat-sen is in a sarcophagus within the Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum at Purple Mountain in Nanjing.

In Chiang’s case, his resting place is said to be temporary as his wish was to be buried on the Mainland “after re-unification”.

I doubt that any of them are buried “in the ground”.

1 Like

I think there is a similar thread somewhere.

My proposal is a regular burial for a head of state as soon as possible. If anyone in the Chiang family insists CKS can only be buried in Zhejiang or Nanjing after reunification, they can keep his body in their own living room.

5 Likes

:rofl:

Maybe they do it like Mao Zedong and Comrade Lenin where the body is kept on display at some government building…

I doubt he would become the president. Wouldn’t kick him out of bed though.

1 Like

IMG_2622

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be up to their family members?

1 Like

CCK’a wife wanted her husband to be buried in the completed tomb at Xizhi’s Wuzhishan, but no, the rest of the Chiang family overrode her decision and kept the bodies in open caskets in Cihu. Nevermind Faina Ipat’evna Vakhreva’s wishes to be buried with her husband.

1 Like

Well, either way it looks like there are quite a few people who get to decide before we get to decide.

Except as a tax payer in Taiwan, we are paying for the upkeep of the bodies and the guards. They are also violating the Mortuary Service Administration Act by keeping the open casket for decades.

1 Like

Their family members are tax payers too, so I don’t think that should be a determining factory.

Pientangs…?

By that logic, every family is entitled to waste 42,140K of tax payer money annually to keep their family members in permanent open casket.

The tomb that cost 30M to build was built at the request of the Chiang family, which was left unused at the request of some other members of the Chiang family.

1 Like

Many, many moons ago I visited the CKS Mausoleum back in the days when you could get right up to the coffin before they glassed it up, see:

You had to line up and file in. Fierce looking guards with rifles surrounded the sarcophagus. It was required that you bow before the coffin as your turn to view came up. My Taiwanese friend who brought me there obliged but I stood upright. They didn’t shoot me with the rifles but I did get shot with some looks. Chalk one up for post White Terror period resistance.

The Mrs., Soong Mei-ling, is buried in New York so maybe they could ship him to spend eternity there with her since, as they apparently had a frosty love life to say the least, it would be apropos.

Chiang, Ching-Kuo was a popular man of the people in Taiwan so it seems best that his remains remain.

My two $NT.

1 Like

I was forced to go as a required part of a school trip.