What should I aim for?

Hi.

I am currently teaching in South Korea, but I will probably be moving to Taipei in March next year. At that time i will have 2.5yrs ESL experience. 1 year teaching in a private institute, 6 months working for a local government (teaching english) and 1 year working for a University.

I went to a prestitigous University in scotland that issues M.As instead of B.As. In Korea the fact that I have an M.A has meant that I have been able to earn more money than if I had a B.A. Is it likely to make any difference in Taiwan? I will also have completed the Asia TEFL journal’s online 120hr TEFL certificate. I’m doing this because (1) I might learn something and (2) It’s free, so why not. Would I be correct in thinking that on online TEFL is pretty worthless in Taiwan? I think I read that somewhere on these sites…

From what I’ve read I believe that it would be illegal for me to work in a Public School, and that most University jobs aren’t really worth doing. So this just leaves the buxibans right? (Or are there other kinds of jobs out there…?). With my experience what kind of conditions and salary should I aim for in Taipei? Here in Korea i earn about $68,000 a month for 20hours of classes a week. I get about 6 weeks vacation. When I arrive in March next year I will have somewhere to live, and would be happy to wait around for up to a month to find a job; I won’t need to start working ASAP.

If it makes any difference I will be 26 (Western age). Also, I am from England but I’ve lived abroad quite a bit and do not have a strong British accent. I get mistaken for North American by Brits and sometimes for an Aussie by North Americans haha

I appreciate your advice and help,

-BD

It depends on whether the Taiwanese education ministry cottons on to the fact that a Scottish MA is the same as an English or Irish BA (Hons). The Koreans obviously didn’t.

I think you’ll be fine. They don’t even know where Scotland is. The thing to check is whether the Oxbridge grads here have managed to get their "MA"s accep… oh. What would Oxbridge grads be doing here?

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]It depends on whether the Taiwanese education ministry cottons on to the fact that a Scottish MA is the same as an English or Irish BA (Hons). The Koreans obviously didn’t.

I think you’ll be fine. They don’t even know where Scotland is. The thing to check is whether the Oxbridge grads here have managed to get their "MA"s accep… oh. What would Oxbridge grads be doing here?[/quote]

The Oxbridge MA is not accepted here for visa purposes because the Ministry of Eduction or Ministry of Economics (depending on your job) requires that the degree certificate be submitted along with the start and finish dates of your course of study. As the Oxbridge MA has no extra study time associated with it over a BA, they won’t accept it.

For the OP’s case, I would say give it a try. If they are under the impression that you did a four-year Masters, it would be remiss of you to disuade them of that notion… :sunglasses:

Well if it is accepted as a ‘real’ MA does that open up other job possibilities? Can I work for public schools then? I was under the impression that they were only legal for people holding an education degree.

Do you recommend I look for jobs outside of buxibans?

[quote=“Borderline Dipso”]Well if it is accepted as a ‘real’ MA does that open up other job possibilities? Can I work for public schools then? I was under the impression that they were only legal for people holding an education degree.

Do you recommend I look for jobs outside of buxibans?[/quote]

Just my opinion, but I’d take buxibans over public schools any day. A good buxiban will pay you well for the number of hours you will actually work, often provide you with an in-class co-teacher and have smaller classes. Public schools are usually not as good of a deal. They usually ask for more of your time, the classes are larger and the pay is not higher (sometimes less) than a good buxiban will pay.

Having your degree accepted as a real MA here, if in fact it ought to be, would open up the possibility of working at a university.

The OP’s degree would have been four years and is superior to a Scottish BA from the ancient universities, but it does not require any more “work” than an English BA, so if the government looks it up in an equivalence table they will see it’s the same as an English honours BA. However, it is a four-year degree, and other degrees in the UK are three. An extra year to blag with. This comes about because of the extra year’s drinking involved in a proper Scottish education.

On the other paw, positions at decent buxibans pay far more. And universities tend to like PhD graduates because it looks better so an MA is no automatic shoe-in.

Thank you very much. I’ll be persuing buxiban jobs next year then I guess. Would I be ‘worth’ any more than 60k a month? Or would that be the right kind of amount I should look to earn for 25-30 classes a week?

thanks