What should I bring as a gift to my host family?

Some dog treats with a nice gift box^^ haha
Have to insist to try in front of you.

1 Like

Yeah, like the “everything but the bagel” seasoning from TJ’s that I swear every Taiwanese home that knows anyone who’s ever been to the US has sitting around somewhere, totally unused, but contains the dangerous poppy seed!

Dairy? I think dairy is fine, I just bring a lot of cheese and the card didn’t mention dairy.

I believe bringing food is fine, just no meats and fresh fruits and such. I had people bring hamburger helper.

Thanks for the advice about sweet stuff and I’ll add biscuits to the list!

Whoa, really? I came back from Korea on Monday and the signs had a picture of some milk product.
I found a similar picture on the CDC’s instagram, and they say fresh milk is forbidden. So I guess cheese is fine, thank you for the correction!

3 Likes

I agree that fancy packaging is more important than the taste. Taiwanese do consider American candy and cookies too sweet. Find something that looks expensive with individual wrappers in an ornate box. Welcome to Taiwan :blush:

5 Likes

I could be mistaken, but I think that @RickRooney is British, so I think he was referring to things that Americans usually call cookies. (I think crackers may also be called biscuits in the UK.)

I apologize if you already knew that. I also apologize if it turns out that he actually meant what Americans usually call biscuits, or if he meant some third thing.

And now I will tiptoe away and get back to trying to mind my own business, and I wish you a happy time in Taiwan.

1 Like