What Taiwanese Think Of China

Interesting coverage. Definitely good to help people understand what’s really going on. I find the media coverage of Taiwan to be quite wrong. They keep making the mistake of saying DPP is a pro Independence Party and not understanding the nuance of how they view taiwans independent status.

8 Likes

Do you mean Taiwan media or international media?

I think international media paints DPP as pro independence party intentionally… they want to paint a narrative that big bully China wants to go against DPP.

They should’ve just been honest and said China is a vile cunt.

8 Likes

I don’t thikn the DPP’s stance on TI is nuanced. TI is literally Article 1 in the party manifesto.

What’s nuanced is every elected president’s official statements about Taiwan’s status, regardless of party affiliations. They have to be nuanced about it because otherwise they’d piss off the US, who doesn’t want to start a fight with China.

2 Likes

Raising the intellectual depth of the conversation are we? lol

You seem so intellectual about words, and use them so eloquently. Truly lots of respect. However (haha), you then go and pull the same nonsense the gov does and hide behind TI like a sackless coward? Tisk tisk sir/maam. Tisk…just playing. You do mean Taiwan INDEPENDENCE right? The fact people here, and abroad, are scared to simply spell out facts is kind of disgusting.

If i may quote @gain: “They should’v e just been honest and said China is a vile cunt.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

2 Likes

Great depth of analysis, and not at all mysoginistic

1 Like

I just feel like it’s a term so often used, I don’t have to spell it out, like CKS, SYS, CSB and so on. I didn’t know using abbreviations is cowardly. I’ll remember never to use the USA abbreviation again.

1 Like

Jus messin around. though no idea what SYS, CSB are.

I think probably half of Taiwanese can get into some TI sometimes.

Taiwanese definitely have a broad range of opinions. It’s hard for the foreign media to report on this when the local media are also pretty hysterical in terms of blue vs green. I think the tsai government have always been very clear that they won’t change the status quo so there’s some disinformation there in terms of media saying they are pushing for formal independence. This administration is not doing that.

In fact it’s China that is actively pushing to change the status quo. The KMTers always seem to deliberately ignore that.

I don’t know about the whole ’ Taiwanese are really friendly and open to new ideas bit’ at the end …I personally don’t see that much And I have been around a long time . Open to new ideas…Such as…What ?

One guys comment that Taiwanese are only now figuring out their identity I guess that’s kind of true. Many people don’t even want to bother thinking too much about it and I would say have a very flexible mindset on the issue as long as they can live a free and prosperous life.

Most interviewed except for one or two were afraid to criticise China directly I feel. Everything is always redirected as if was a local issue. China instill a lot of fear out there, it’s not the Taiwan government that is doing that.

Good series of interviews !

2 Likes

Great depth of analysis and not at all mysoginistic, :joy:

1 Like

Will check this later, I’m curious.

This article points out something interesting about the very pro-Unification-we-are-all-Han guy.

TLDR: " The guy in the tan jacket, posting on Facebook about his interview. He’s a modestly successful YouTuber named Sean (柴Sean你說) with over 110,000 subscribers, with lovely content like “if Taiwanese want independence, why don’t they join the military?”, “Taiwanese now identify differently because of the way they are educated under the DPP” and “let’s not trash on Yen Ching-piao’s son, the bad stuff is all his father’s doing”."

I highly suggest giving the whole article a read :blush:.

1 Like

Yea. He is a plant. So much for ‘unbiasedness’

2 Likes

That’s sort of a legitimate question, as is the question posed by many American scholars of the Taiwanese government, “why don’t they raise their defence budget?”

To add to that . if taiwan is so progressive and trying to push for equality , why arent women forced into said military?

To be fair, against chinese kmt trolls pork ignorance protests against national security, the government has spent stupid amounts of money on defense toys recently.

i remember under president ma, the male millitary terms were shortened and excuses to not serve t(or serve differently) extended . at the time it seemed great that taiwan was doing away with such primitive ways . now i wonder how much of that was part of his overt and obvious sell out of taiwan to its enemy.

Conscripts are of limited use to the Taiwan military. Training period is too short and many weapon systems require years of training to use. I think the real reason is that conscription is a burden on the military. This is actually one of the reason why many EU countries (who often have conscription too) did away with it, it costs too much.

The only time it makes sense to have conscripts is so they can be cannon fodders.

But Taiwan can’t just do away with conscription because it’s written into the constitution.

1 Like

Once upon a time, they also taught boys to be men as the family rarely did and its not the school s responsibility. Until that guy died and the military became afraid of being sued. Nothing made china smile wider than that day.

I agree though. Taiwans power is via economy, friendships, leadership and hopefully morals. Not man power. Always has been, always will be. Hence why we need non hypocrite nations to grow some damn balls.

1 Like