What the BLANK happened to "Grey Scale" clip art options?

I’ve been out of the content creation part of teaching for a few years.
Now, I’m putting together some material and noticed a big lack of “grayscale” options. Google and MS Office has Black and White which really only brings up pure black and white images or full color options There’s even a tinting option.
Back in the day, the clip art from Microsoft’s office and other sources used, I think WMF files which allowed complete scaling from full color, grayscale to black and white with almost no loss in in quality.
The pictures were made up of lines so I could scale them to any size at all.
What’s the trend in clip art nowadays? I know I can choose to print in grayscale but I don’t like how the it’s translated into grayscale sometimes and I’m not doing the printing so I’d like full control before I send it to the printer. Now, I have to input the picture to my photo editing program, choose grayscale then save it. So much work.

For internal (non-public) presentations, I will jump on Google and do an image search for “Line drawing”

I also downloaded GIMP and copy images from searches and paste them in and “Desaturate” it to make it grayscale

Goose Egg, Thanks for the GIMP tip. That’s the program I use but to switch mode from color to grayscale. I didn’t know about the desaturate option.
I like how you phrased “non public presentations”. I guess anything for one time use in a teaching situation would be considered that and come under the protection of fair use. I hope.
Microsoft used to have a great collection of clip art. Plus there were many sources of WMF, which were made up of shapes and vectors that were totally scaleable. I wonder why it went away.

What the :banana:!!!

Yeah, What the :banana:!!!?
WMF was a great format. Thousands of images, totally flexible. Not having it is like going back to the stone age.

What the banana is this ?

Please banana off…

Banana you!

Bananaing jones!

Whole world’s gone bananas.

How could a simple question about the demise of a graphic format drive the world bananas. At least I learned how to desaturate my banana! Thanks.

1 Like