What the f*ck?

Tell me this isnt real.

secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Pe … e/?dDclKfb

Sadly, it is. My friend posted a photo from Shanghai a little while ago. :frowning:

Good grief. WTF is wrong with these people?

Incredibly crass and sadistic. The Chinese govt should stop this immediately. Don’t they have any laws against animal cruelty? Guess not.

Well, forget it. I’m not even gonna open it then. :hand:

It’s keychains holding a small LIVE animal like a baby turtle or salamander within a liquid nutrient solution apparently enough for it to live for a short while.

Ohhh god!!! Just watched a video on YouTube. Really disgusting.

ya, if you even so much as not dislike animals, you may not like the link. its not graphic, its a petition site aimed at stopping it. but little bags, emphasis on little, with liquid like mentioned. prolonged torture. I’d expect it from a stagnant Japan, but i thought China was supposed to be progressing. I also used to think the vast ignorance towards environment was simply a social/environmental lack of understanding…I am starting to wonder if it may be a genetic trait in this region.

This is terrible, and I hope international pressure will change the cultural attitude or whatever that allows this to continue.

That said, while I am in no way negating the cruelty of those Chinese products, I am reminded of a bizarre trinket that was available in every toy and drug store in America when I was a child. Forty years later, I see they’re still available: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/real-rabbit-foot

Just when you think you’ve seen it all. :thumbsdown:

Saw those ten years ago. Dumbasses still be dumbasses. And breeding, I guess.

the difference between lucky rabbit feet, toad change purses, or kangaroo testicle stamp holders is that htey are not living and there is a way for us to justify their death. I am not in any way trying to justify those products but things like rabbits feet are theoretically a waste product from a different industry (or should be). rabbits are eaten, and there is waste. cain toads are exotic invasive pests which are exterminated and kangaroos are also a farmed meat. just for example.

the keeping living animals in tiny enclosed cages to die painfully and slowly is whats is wrong. In Taiwan we see this with fish, dogs, chickens, cattle, pigs etc. It is one thing to kill an animal quickly for a purpose such as food, and use the left over “waste” as secondary products for sale (eg pet food or processed food - hot dogs- or trinkets). It is entirely another thing to intentionality cause something incredibly discomfort and pain for the simple satisfaction of having it there, only to allow its slow miserable life to end quickly.

The word that describes people like this is psychotic. in every literal sense of the word.

Sadly the vast majority of people rarely even seem to comprehend non human animals are capable of pain, fear and discomfort. Something Taiwan is especially guilty of as well :frowning: from someone who has kept untold amounts of reptiles and other critters for many years i can say first hand they do have nerves and sensation just as we do.

I agree. This goes beyond casual cruelty or stupidity. A culture that accepts this as even halfway normal is deeply dysfunctional. At the very least, it suggests they have such a disastrous relationship with the natural world that they are unlikely to even dimly comprehend human dependence upon it.

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]This is terrible, and I hope international pressure will change the cultural attitude or whatever that allows this to continue.

That said, while I am in no way negating the cruelty of those Chinese products, I am reminded of a bizarre trinket that was available in every toy and drug store in America when I was a child. Forty years later, I see they’re still available: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/real-rabbit-foot[/quote]
You know what, after having the main part of the pelt removed and tanned, and having the body cut up and sold for meat, the feet just don’t have much value in 'em. If they can make a few bucks by selling them as key fobs, then so what?

I adore rabbits as pets, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t a perfectly viable food and fur animal.

I guess my point is that I personally find rabbit’s feet to be a bizarre good luck charm–as strange as any lucky charm, I suppose. But those living animal souvenirs in China are just plain cruel. (And cue the folks who feel killing rabbits for food is also cruel…)

Yeah, the rabbits’ feet thing was and is kind of silly, but it was always just a “cute game” sort of thing, like Santa Claus. I don’t think I ever heard of anyone actually believing in it, and the original superstition was about the HIND feet anyway, and there were rules about how the rabbit had to be caught too.

I agree, the living animal keyfobs is pointless, cruel, and something they should be told is obnoxious. OTOH, how many dogs get dumped here in Taiwan because they’re no longer cute puppies that fit inside a purse?

“I’m wearin’ my lucky rabbit’s head.”

On a related note, it looks like attitudes are slowly changing, which is good news: Circus cancelled in China as citizens protest animal performances that occur despite ban

as a quick side note although already mentioned above, puppies in Taiwan that are dumped are probably considered the lucky ones because they no longer are held up in cages. The true cruelty in Taiwan, in my opinion, is the puppy mill and pet store situation and the follow up on cages. contained animals make sense in some cases (ie fish) but even those need more space than say a dixie cup for a betta.

The meat industry can be considered cruel by anyone who realized animals have nerves in their meat. The cruelty is never the fact they are killed for food, that makes sense as we eat meat. The cruelty isnt even so bad as how they are killed, but how they are raised. I have more experience than i ever wanted with agriculture here in this regard (pigs mostly) but pig/fowl and to a lesser extent cattle are treated just as cruel. They pump them up so much and make them so lame at everything, pigs must be assisted to mate (sad/funny to watch).

However i believe end use also plays a role into how bad a situation is, and food is far less bad than pocket key chains of extended torture. not to try and justify one over the other, but at least something is getting eaten and used at the end of the day, not thrown into the trash cause ti started going moldy or doesnt wiggle when poked.

in Taiwan animal cruelty is mostly hidden behind the scenes now with the exception of farmed meat and dogs with few other exceptions like snakes (which are almost universally hated on). the rest of the psychotic stuff happens behind closed doors, which is still better as it does stymie the thought process of it being OK. I mean to say that here people seem to have enough sense that it is looked down upon and hide their activities to do with other like minded psychos. so at least the public, especially the youth, dont get as desensitized towards animal cruelty.

But i do also think it is a serious lack of knowledge, people are simply ignorant. Pretty much every new student i get comes in with a very, to my view, skewed perspective of animals. Usually after about 1 year i have them enjoying, discussing and sometimes even protecting animals. its not a hard thing to do, just takes time and genuine interest in kids, and its a simple fix for the next generation. I am saying this to hint as there are quite a few teachers here…hint hint…just remember the human ego when trying to discuss things, talk with them, not at them.

Well do people care about these rabbits in China?
When it comes to making money, animal rights don’t exist. At least they aren’t skinned alive like the animals in the fur trade over there:
:nsfw:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … mpers.html

For me, one of the reasons, this kind of fibre should be boycotted in all forms, even if the company is ‘western’ and does not make animals ‘suffer’ (which is really bullshit) when they farm the product, is because of the ramifications. Once something sells and becomes popular it will be exploited to the hilt in the likes of China, and thus things like the above happen.

cake, could you hide the photos behind a ‘NSFW’ thingy, for those of a sensitive disposition (ie., me?). We all know what Chinese fur farms get up to, and I’d rather not be reminded. Hard to know what to do about though. How does it happen that these disgusting people even have customers? Any customers?

Down that road madness lies.

I think it’s a lot simpler than that: the current generation of “business leaders” were impressionable children during the cultural revolution. Many of them probably saw and heard unspeakable things. All of them experienced the systematic and deliberate destruction of China’s moral framework and social mores, and it’s wholesale replacement with whatever that slob Mao said was true, or right, or whatever. The adults - who are, mostly, dead - might have had a bit of psychological resilience, but kids would have been profoundly damaged. They behave like this because they were told to behave like this.

In any case, China is not progressing. It is still very much a third-world country which will take decades - possibly centuries - to recover from the havoc still being wreaked in the name of “development”.

I think this is broadly true the world over. This is what happens when you let the bean-counters run the show.

As you said, education is the key. Educators can put good ideas into kids’ heads just as easily as bad ones.